Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for a Kong

• 07-01-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Just got the baby a new kong to keep her happy but not really sure what to put in it.

Have put in her dog food but she has it out in about 10 minutes, so looking for something to keep her busy and working on it for a while.

We have to leave her on her own next week (first time) for a few hours and want to keep her happy.

All replies are much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

If she likes peanut butter thats usually a winner!
    Unfortunately my little lady doesnt...

I have found that anything which is high value and fits does the trick.

I put human food (ham,sausage,orange,apple etc.) in and seal it with cream cheese, grated cheese, homemade meat paste etc.

I also break up dental sticks and ram one into the kong (all broken bits into one - very tightly packed) then seal the top.

Build up the difficulty slowly because otherwise she might get bored and not bother!

Freezing the kong with some stock is always fun but can be messy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I usually mix their usual dry food with a tin of sardines or mackerel in sunflower oil and then freeze it for a few hours. For one dog and one kong, I'd say only half a tin, or maybe even 1/2, its just to give it a nice smell, and consistency to freeze and go into the Kong easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 taceistagam

I read somewhere that freezing dog treats in natural yoghurt can keep dogs occupied for hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When my dog was on crate rest I fed his meals in Kongs. I soaked his food until it was mushy, then whizzed it up with a hand blender and filled the kongs. I used to leave them in the fridge to set - he growls and cries if they're frozen! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I cut up slices of ham or corned beef and put the pieces in my dogs kong. Put in a couple of doggy treats cut up and he goes mad for them Dairylea cheese triangles! Always seal it with half of one of them. Peanut Butter is meant to be great too but my dog had no interest :(

Haven't seen his kong in a while.... probably buried somewhere!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I just mash a banana or an apple and add a tablespoon of natural yoghurt, and leave them around. peanut butter is sticky and tastes great and takes longer to get out. depending on the size of your dog consider using 2-4 at a time.

Advertisement