Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park

Options
  • 07-01-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is not a suitable AH topic but it's somrthing I need a quick answer on so apologies.

The main road in the park (Chesterfield avenue) was closed for renovation for 12 weeks commencing october 3rd. Does anyone know if these road works are finished yet as I need to get to the Popes Cross car park for 12 pm tomorrow.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I know this is not a suitable AH topic but it's somrthing I need a quick answer on so apologies.

The main road in the park (Chesterfield avenue) was closed for renovation for 12 weeks commencing october 3rd. Does anyone know if these road works are finished yet as I need to get to the Popes Cross car park for 12 pm tomorrow.

Many thanks!

Going cruising.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

The closed part started after the roundabout on the avenue, so you can still get the Papal cross. If that's changed in the last week or so, come in from the Chapelizod Gate, go right and up by the hospital gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The closed part started after the roundabout on the avenue, so you can still get the Papal cross. If that's changed in the last week or so, come in from the Chapelizod Gate, go right and up by the hospital gate.

I'll be coming in from Parkgate St so I should be good yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'll be coming in from Parkgate St so I should be good yeah?

AFAIK, yeh, but you could make sure of it by going to the Chapelizod Gate if you're coming from town anyway.

• Advertisement

Many thanks Kevin, asked and answered! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Only went through tonight with the intention of cutting quickly to Parkgate st from Castleknock. Wasn't the shortcut I thought it would be...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

thread about it on d15 board:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056395565
    Slydice wrote: »
    Went through it tonight, it's open up as far as the aras but then still closed with a one way system to get from the aras to the castleknock gate.

Went through it this evening, it's still like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It was meant to be fully open by Dec23rd afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Are the bicycle paths affected by the roadworks?

• Advertisement

It's not - went up today and you can only get up as far as the monument without detour. That's as far as I needed to go anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It wasn't. Works only started in October and the initial time frame mentioned was "approximately 12 weeks". That was before the floods and the snow. Even the section that has re-opened is marked temporary surface so I would be surprised if it was fully opened before February at the earliest.

Edit: http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17075,en.html
    Given that we expect to be repairing Chesterfield Avenue from October to February 2012 inclusive, event organisers are asked to note that unfortunately no new applications for during that period can be accepted.

Once works are completed, in the interest of public safety, we will be delighted to consider appropriate

Update: http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17819,en.html
    Home >>News & Events
    REPAIR WORKS TO CHESTERFIELD AVENUE

Phoenix Park Diversions (PDF Map)

We would like to thank the public for their co-operation during these essential road repairs. The following few weeks, as we near completion, there will be changes to the traffic arrangement to facilitate the application of the final course and road markings

Please click on the link above to view the map showing the traffic flows from the 23rd January 2012.

The following changes will apply:

The section from the Gough Roundabout to the triangle known as the Fountain Road will be closed for 2 weeks commencing Monday, 23rd January 2012.

Three Phase vehicle activated traffic lights will be in operation at the Gough Roundabout

It is important to note that the Back Road from Ashtown Gate to the North Circular Road Gate will be two way and due caution must be taken.

A One way system will be in operation on the south side of the Park

The Odd Lamp Road and Khyber Road will be open to traffic

All gates to the Park open 24 hours a day

Ashtown Gate Entrance Only

Cabra Gate Exit Only

The second phase of works at the Gough Roundabout will have a different traffic arrangement and the public will be advised in due course.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and if you have any queries please contact:

Mr. Tom Corcoran on 086 858 5018 or this office

Yours sincerely,

Margaret Gormley,

Park Superindentent

Tel.: 01 821 3021

20th January 2012

As they are talking about further phases..looks like the end is not nigh :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard that the OPW are pushing to have the main road (Chesterfield Avenue) through the Park closed to traffic on weekends when the works are finished.

I think that the OPW's agenda has, all along, been to completely close the Phoenix park to cars but given the sheer volume of traffic using Chesterfield Avenue it IMO is simply not a runner.

The current roadworks in the park are taking a ridiculously long amount of time.:mad:

Significant delays last night and worse this morning, journey times of 30 mins Castleknock gate to Parkgate Street. The other roads in the area were crazy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've heard that the OPW are pushing to have the main road (Chesterfield Avenue) through the Park closed to traffic on weekends when the works are finished.

I think that the OPW's agenda has, all along, been to completely close the Phoenix park to cars but given the sheer volume of traffic using Chesterfield Avenue it IMO is simply not a runner.

The current roadworks in the park are taking a ridiculously long amount of time.:mad:

They found some ancient remains under the sub-surface and the archeologists had to be called in to do a proper survey.

Hence the delays.

Advertisement