Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSX:deadly descent

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My main problem is the fact that before each race (Deadly Descents mode thing), pretty much each board/gear you can buy is worse than the one you're given, so there's almost no point buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So I haven't played a snowboarding game since cool boarders 2. Is this going to be worth my hard earned monies?????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Stompbox wrote: »
    Argh, just started getting into this game and it freezes; back to Gamestop with me.

As an SSX vet, initial impressions were of disappointment. Was no-one else irked by the fact that you're able to perform 1080° right off the bat? I mean, I can't even see what kind of Uber tricks my character is performing because the spins are so insanely quick. Coupled with the ludicrous speeds that send you hurtling down the mountain, it's become a real issue. I way preferred the appreciable character development that was featured in previous incarnations where you slowly built your player into a looping speed demon as opposed to having these attributes from the off.
    This is definitely more tony hawk than skate, I'd love a more simulation type snowboarding game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ShaneU wrote: »
    This is definitely more tony hawk than skate, I'd love a more simulation type snowboarding game

That was what Amped started out as and it's telling it ended up being far more like SSX. A realistic snowboarding game just doesn't sound all that fun, nor has it proved to be so in practice.

I'd agree that one of the few flaws in the new SSX is that you spin too fast, but that's entirely about fluidity and function rather than realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Syferus wrote: »
    That was what Amped started out as and it's telling it ended up being far more like SSX. A realistic snowboarding game just doesn't sound all that fun, nor has it proved to be so in practice.

I'd agree that one of the few flaws in the new SSX is that you spin too fast, but that's entirely about fluidity and function rather than realism.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've always adored the arcade-y approach that SSX has utilised; in fact, I don't think I'd be interested at all in a snowboard simulation game. But my issue is that the first time you play as Zoe, her attributes are equivalent to that of a character you spent the entire span of previous SSX games developing. I know there's an XP system in place in this game but I fail to see how my character could develop further when she's performing triple misty flips already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Was gonna get this but no local multiplayer = no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The game is almost entirely about asynchronous multiplayer, the lack of local multiplayer is a loss but I had barely played SSX locally in all my time playing the previous games, you have to be very lucky to find someone nearby that isn't either useless or far better than you at the game, this was never Mario Kart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Was gonna get this but no local multiplayer = no chance.

As modestly as I can say it, I was miles better than my friends at SSX (and I wasn't amazing by a fair stretch). It was never fun, because it was never a challenge to beat them. In the new game, its much much more challenging to place well in tournaments, and this is far more entertaining to me. I like the higher level of competitiveness in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Penn wrote: »
    My main problem is the fact that before each race (Deadly Descents mode thing), pretty much each board/gear you can buy is worse than the one you're given, so there's almost no point buying anything.
    There is in a way. I bought boards and different outfits to add perks to tricks and races depending on the event.
    The equipment that you're given is all at a certain level. The levels affect how useful it is and its attributes.

As the character levels up they can buy higher level equipment, and in global events you can set a max equipment level for certain events to keep everyone at level pegging. The point in them being there is that in global events you will at some point have to compete under restrictions, so you just buy the lower level ones.

I suppose they did it so they if you spent all your money before you got to the deadly descent you would still have the equipment. In Deadly Descent you're basically locked to a character as they are the only ones with the equipment anyway, but then you go to the other modes you can just buy them for whatever character you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Annoying that you can't add rivals without making them a friend in the process or am i missing something :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Picked up the game yesterday and played for a hour. Impressed so far and looking forward to some extended sessions over the weekend.

Might as well put my 360 name here. Please add if you wish.

Xavier1969

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

ondafly wrote: »
    Hi Folks - I picked up SSX limited edition from Game specifically to get the mt Fuji DLC, but can anyone confirm if I should have gotten a seperate code or is it on the disk ? I can't seem to find it on the world map, and the only code I got was for the EA activation

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Hi Folks - I picked up SSX limited edition from Game specifically to get the mt Fuji DLC, but can anyone confirm if I should have gotten a seperate code or is it on the disk ? I can't seem to find it on the world map, and the only code I got was for the EA activation

Anyone ?

I got the Mt Fuji DLC code printed on an A4 page along with my copy of the game when I bought it from GameStop. I didn't pre-order

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

I think the code comes seperately Which console did you get the game for? When I bought my 360 copy from GameStop they printed out the codes for me.

Hey guys. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my copy freezes during one of the Alaskan drops (Invincible, to be precise) in both the Deadly Descent and Explore mode ; I brought the game back to Gamestop and they replaced it. However, the new copy is also freezing; I had been informed by the clerk instore that if it froze again, it was most likely a corrupted file; I presume she means my save file?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Stompbox wrote: »
    Hey guys. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my copy freezes during one of the Alaskan drops (Invincible, to be precise) in both the Deadly Descent and Explore mode ; I brought the game back to Gamestop and they replaced it. However, the new copy is also freezing; I had been informed by the clerk instore that if it froze again, it was most likely a corrupted file; I presume she means my save file?

I have read on another forum that people with corrupted save files have them because they removed someone from their friends list (not sure if its when someone removes you) that is a rival on Ridernet. Could that have happened to you? Apparently they are fixing it or have done, but it did effect a few users. It's worth looking in to.

Side note: Disappointed this thread went invisible for a week, I'm still loving this game. Got much better at Trick events when I copped the combo system.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

I've been addicted to this when it came. Always have been a huge SSX fan and although it took me a little while to get used to, I am really enjoying it now and starting to get some huge scores.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Got much better at Trick events when I copped the combo system.
    I've discovered that by constantly changing what trick I pull while grinding I can get the multiplier to go up really quick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Traded this in a couple of days ago, while it was very good it just didn't capture me. The wingsuit and speed of spins/flips just took away from the SSX experience i loved. Hopefully, when the next SSX comes out it will go back to enjoyable crazy tracks without all the unnecessary extras... i'll probably pick it up again when it goes cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Traded this in a couple of days ago, while it was very good it just didn't capture me. The wingsuit and speed of spins/flips just took away from the SSX experience i loved. Hopefully, when the next SSX comes out it will go back to enjoyable crazy tracks without all the unnecessary extras... i'll probably pick it up again when it goes cheap.

I felt the same and also traded it.I liked using the R stick but preferred the old button layout. Also preferred the almost neon colors of the originals and wasn't pushed on the new realistic visuals, not that those where bad just preference.

The lack of head to head multiplayer was also a big mistake on their part I thought. Just not the same racing a clock or ghost.

Oh anyone looking for the medal for playing an event with 50000+ people go to global events Alps - Vorassay - Beyond the Fall - Trick It! it's running for the next 2 weeks.

Gonna trade this in as well, which is a shame really. SSX is an another example of the gradual shirking of local play features in lieu of online play. Once I completed the single-player (which took all of two days and that was at a leisurely pace) there was literally nothing else to do apart from the Medal Drops which we kind of boring tbh.

SSX3 was a far better game imo. Appreciable character development, better track composition and graphic design, and a real sense of gravity-defying outlandishness!

Another thing that kind of irked me about this new SSX was the horrible plot exposition; it was tenuous and perfunctory. I just wanna establish my character as the best snowboarder around, not play as part of an 8-man strong team who feel that it's some sort of achievement to complete nine peaks before one chap takes them all on single-handedly; it was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also going to trade this in. It's just... Where's the fun? Tricky was fun because you had these crazy characters, sometimes just in a vest, in these crazy tracks which could go anywhere. Now we have pretty normal characters in typical snowboarding gear on mountains with maybe a crashed plane or something, having to upgrade body armour or use oxygen.

Where's the fun? I find myself playing as the character with the best stats rather than a character I actually like (loved Psymon Stark), I don't even care about any of the other characters (whereas in Tricky there were one's I'd start rivalries with), the characters don't really talk, they all look the same, the tricks are so zoomed out and spin too much that you can barely see them, uber tricks used to be specific to the character's personality.... It's just not really fun.

I'm still having great craic competing against other boardsies for scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

This game is so frustrating.I'm on the Deadly Descent in Africa and I'm just fed up with it.If I go down a gorge and rewind it takes 3 or 4 go's to go back to before I jump. Its almost impossible to travel in a straight line when theres inclines on both sides of you and you only have a few feet of flat ground.

The upgrade system is very annoying aswell.Why can't I just pick what character I want and upgrade him/her as I please instead of being forced to use a certain character and certain upgrades.Think I might be trading this in soon enough.

Chavways wrote: »
    This game is so frustrating.I'm on the Deadly Descent in Africa and I'm just fed up with it.If I go down a gorge and rewind it takes 3 or 4 go's to go back to before I jump. Its almost impossible to travel in a straight line when theres inclines on both sides of you and you only have a few feet of flat ground.
    Practiiiiice. Took me ages to do it.
    The upgrade system is very annoying aswell.Why can't I just pick what character I want and upgrade him/her as I please instead of being forced to use a certain character and certain upgrades.Think I might be trading this in soon enough.
    Of course you can. World Tour mode. Once you play an event as someone in Deadly Descents you unlock them. Same goes for different drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Practiiiiice. Took me ages to do it.

I almost put my controller through the screen a while ago.I need to cool down.

Chavways wrote: »
    I almost put my controller through the screen a while ago.I need to cool down.
    If you think thats hard, when until you get to the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone still playing? Add me on xbl if you are, currently have two friends who play; One who seems to be unbelievably good (probably had it since launch) and another who got the game at the same time as me but hasnt as much time to play so im already miles ahead. :o

Go ahead and add me, the names the same as on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Admittedly havent been on as much as I would have liked lately, but I have a few decent scores and always need the rivals, ill add you.

Advertisement