Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting floorboards and hearth

• 07-01-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey. I am getting both floor boards and a fireplace hearth fitted. Which should I get first. Are the floor boards better to go to the hearth, or should the hearth go on top of of the floorboards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hey. I am getting both floor boards and a fireplace hearth fitted. Which should I get first. Are the floor boards better to go to the hearth, or should the hearth go on top of of the floorboards?

Hearth first and cut the floor into the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

If you can keep the hearth up the thickness of the floor board off the floor so you can let the board run in underneath it a little bit it will leave a tidier job with no need for a strip along the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

+1 massey.get a sample of flooring and give it to fireplace guys.they should fit the heart in sand and cement to level it and leave it high enough for flooring to fit under.most flooring needs 18mm expansion all around so if they keep the mortar 25mm from the edge of the heart all round you can let floor run 6mm under the heart.this is how i do it and its much neater.pm me if you want more info.cheers mick

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks guys, great advice. Ill keep it in mind when I bring in someone to fit a hearth. I posted a new thread about actually fitting a stove.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement