Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have recently discovered....

Options
  • 07-01-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

Who have you recently discovered , which you would love to share..

Being a crusty 45-year old git, I am reduced to buying Metal Hammer for the enclosed cds and maybe reading about some bands which I later check out on My Space, I have become somewhat limited in my ways of discovering bands I have missed. the days of chums popping around with an album and us retiring to the front room to listen to it on the "record player" have long gone.

Anyway, I was delighted to come across a band on my space whose 4 included songs led me to buy one of their albums. I bought it on ovi music who were the cheapest and before I had listened to 3 songs I had bought a 2nd album of theirs , so impressed was I.

Anyway, the band was Amon Amarth and the album was their latest album Sutur Rising.
    If you are interested you can check you tube for some somgs.. I recommend Slaves of Fear and War of the Gods, but thats only after a couple of listens.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a huge fan of the style but "With Odin on Our Side" is a class album

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ghost , Ghost and more Ghost !!!!! ... am absolutely loving their Opus Eponymous LP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Graveyard...Hisingen Blues is excellent!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

RayCon wrote: »
    Ghost , Ghost and more Ghost !!!!! ... am absolutely loving their Opus Eponymous LP.

Currently dancing around the kitchen to this with the help of a few Heineken
    Savage album that has been on constant rotation for the entire past year.

Have a listen to The Devil's Blood Album The Thousandfold Epicentre you may like, I am grooving to this also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Tessaract. Think they've been around for awhile now but just discovered them lately. Think the original singer in this vid has left though:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Von Hertzen Bros would be my most recent one. First band I saw at High Voltage last summer, and they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Saxon. Someone put up a live video recently of Dallas 1 P.M in the now listening to, & i though it was class. Ended up getting into their first 4 or so albums & their latest. Great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

A Pale Horse Named Death. I discovered these guys awhile back. Sounding a bit like Type O Negative and featuring some ex/members of the band.
    Also they are playing The Pint, Friday week,cant wait to see them

Nea wrote: »
    A Pale Horse Named Death. I discovered these guys awhile back. Sounding a bit like Type O Negative and featuring some ex/members of the band.
    Also they are playing The Pint, Friday week,cant wait to see them

Wow, cracking stuff, just listened to a good bit of their stuff after listening to that track. They sound like Alice in Chains melded with Type O, which is a great mix! Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

human 19 wrote: »

Being a crusty 45-year old git, I am reduced to buying Metal Hammer for the enclosed cds and maybe reading about some bands which I later check out on My Space, I have become somewhat limited in my ways of discovering bands I have missed. the days of chums popping around with an album and us retiring to the front room to listen to it on the "record player" have long gone.

Anyway, I was delighted to come across a band on my space whose 4 included songs led me to buy one of their albums. I bought it on ovi music who were the cheapest and before I had listened to 3 songs I had bought a 2nd album of theirs , so impressed was I.

Anyway, the band was Amon Amarth and the album was their latest album Sutur Rising.
    If you are interested you can check you tube for some somgs.. I recommend Slaves of Fear and War of the Gods, but thats only after a couple of listens.

I could listen to songs like 'Pursuit of Vikings' or 'Death in Fire' all the time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Khanate - Clean Hands Go Foul,

great album , if you're into Sunn O))), Boris early Earth etc. you'll like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I have just discovered Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow - Rising, this album is friggin awesome - Dio is amazing on it!

Also I've recently discovered a band called Skyclad, very folky kind of metal/rock, savage stuff! Definitely look up Spinning Jenny on Youtube, quality track!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

RayCon wrote: »

GHOST! GHOST! GHOST!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ I hear ya man ... it's addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KRAUTROCK! well hardly discovered but I've been listening to The Vocokesh radio station a bit lately plus Stellar Attraction a prog radio stream and they've thrown up some tasty stuff from acts that I'd not heard of. Might start a Kraut/prog thread.

Nektar

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

No youtubes (I think) for these guys but if you like your space prog noisey, and I know I do, then check them out. Their two albums, Archipelagog & Ege Artimis Yurtum , are both availble for free download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

I think when you get older than the people performing the metal you have to question things..what the **** these kids know? know what I mean:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The latest Shining album is fairly impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

human 19 wrote: »

Ditch Metal Hammer, buy Terrorizor instead, then trawl its reviews section, you'll find a lot more stuff that way.

Haven't really discovered anything in the last while, but i did finally get around to buying Triptykon's 'Eparistera Daimones'. Absolute monster of a record, and it absolutely trounces anything Warrior had done with Hellhammer/Celtic Frost.

Advertisement