Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sayings.....Rural/Regional even Funny!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just when you mentioned a large girl Sam- The lad my father works with is a quiet sort of fella. He recently wanted to reinforce a few chairs in the local community centre as the 88's were damaging them.

Took me while to figure out that he meant two fat ladies aka 88!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Years ago there was a man working at the local creamery, he was always joking. A farmers wife brought two churns of milk one morning and she was hefty around the chest area as they were about to empty the churns of milk the joker said to her "begor May they are two fine churns of milk you have there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Kovu wrote: »

Took me while to figure out that he meant two fat ladies aka 88!!

Don't think they are allowed say that now at bingo! Everything has to be so politically correct nowadays.

Muckit wrote: »
    Don't think they are allowed say that now at bingo! Everything has to be so politically correct nowadays.
    Sure didn't the Michelin man have to go on a diet because of that.

image.axd?picture=2009%2F10%2FMichelin-Man.jpg

michelin_man.jpg

Muckit wrote: »

I think one of the callers still does it out of habit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

"That's her" said the Connachtmsn to the bull.
    "Now" says she and she threw her wooden leg high up into the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Once heard an aul lad to exclaim "jaysus she'd pike bales for ya" in reference to a somewhat portly young lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My neighbour married later in life, and his wife was a big strong woman. An older man in the parish saw her helping him cover the silage pit with tyres the first year they were married.
    "jaysus lad, she was throwing them up like sods of turf"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Sam Kade wrote: »
    A large girl, I'd say she'd walk away from a fair heap of dung.

Took me a while to get that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Boss man always says this one.
    If I say I nearly have a job done, or your man nearly hit that car ect.

"Nearly never bulled a cow"

Unless the bulls name was Nearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

or put bonhams in a sow

when my young lad opened a bank a/c I used to transfer his "wages " on line

one week he had a few tasks "nearly done" he queried why his wages didn't come through

I told him they nearly did.

That reminds me.

My sister in laws daughter was out playing one day when she was around 4 years old, the neighbours dog kept following her and her mother said to her "don't mind him he's harmless". About half an hour later the daughter came into the house crying and shouting "mammy mammy harmless is after me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

orm0nd wrote: »
    or put bonhams in a sow

when my young lad opened a bank a/c I used to transfer his "wages " on line

one week he had a few tasks "nearly done" he queried why his wages didn't come through

I told him they nearly did.

I had it slightly different

Nearly never bulled a cow
    Took a bonham from a sow
    Or rode a mare
    The reason it was took a bonham had to do when a sow was farrowing it was important to remove bonhams in case the sow rolled on the)

The other one I remember is if a cross or sour young one passed the expression was ''she could use a rub of the relic''

I had it slightly different

The other one I remember is if a cross or sour young one passed the expression was ''she could use a rub of the relic''

Oh my!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    My neighbour married later in life, and his wife was a big strong woman. An older man in the parish saw her helping him cover the silage pit with tyres the first year they were married.
    "jaysus lad, she was throwing them up like sods of turf"!

heard a few womens jokes about men and to say some are blue is an understatement. like the one Brendan O Carroll had about his locals when they comment on size of small baby where father is small. "sure whatd it yud expect,sure you couldn't expect to catch a shark with a worm.
    another one . a young man who had an arranged marriage or "match" made for him caused a few raised eyebrows when he let the match-maker buy the first round of drinks and some "jealous or ballhopper" woman remarked in low voice but easily heard at same time,"his last girlfriend said "he has no principle",fiance heard remark and thought it meant his principal **,so worried was she about the prospect of marrying someone without a "principle" she confided in friend who could get her husband to check discreetly.
    so in land with bushes and no indoor WCs , a spate of telling dirty jokes ensued and usual discreet toilet bushes were kept occupied by women while plenty liquid was provided, and individual was obliged to go a less discreet spot and later a woman of good judgement in that field came in to reassure his fiance not to worry as he had a fine principle indeed.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Years ago there was a man working at the local creamery, he was always joking. A farmers wife brought two churns of milk one morning and she was hefty around the chest area as they were about to empty the churns of milk the joker said to her "begor May they are two fine churns of milk you have there"
    this story reminds me of story of young chap who in fine weather cut the legs off worn pair of wide legged jeans and went to local creamery,day 1 passed off without incident ,day 2 and local character came armed with her camera and when fella stood up in tractor trailer ( they used to pump milk out of churns and road tanks) pipe in hand to pump in milk to scale and your wan hopped out and tried her best to stick camera up his trouser leg .he was as red as a beetroot and is reminded often since.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

'the sweat was runnin down the boreen of my hole' - sweating profusely due to hard work

'he wouldnt pick a horse out of a flock of sheep' - someone with little real knowledge of horse racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Heard of someone asking a guy about ordering round of drinks in a bar, wanted to know did his partner want a drink as well...

'You don't need the finger at the bottom of the bucket to get X to drink!'

Only those with a farming background got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

^^ someone who would drink anything??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

^^ someone who would drink anything??

Someone that wouldn't say no to a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l was close ;)

Heard of someone asking a guy about ordering round of drinks in a bar, wanted to know did his partner want a drink as well...

'You don't need the finger at the bottom of the bucket to get X to drink!'

Only those with a farming background got it.

the expression i heard was in connection with a pub selling sour porter of else unable to fill a pint properly.
    when asked to go into a particular pub a chap said he wouldn't drink there in a fit, he explained , Mr X said it was bad and if he said it was bad it must be, cos hed drink it outa a pisspot

Or drink it out of a sore leg.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The expression I heard for that is he drink it through a dirty sock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

For a woman thats been around a bit....
    She had an arse on her like buttons of a lift!!

The village bicycle. Everyone rode it!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

The village bicycle. Everyone rode it!

For a woman lacking good looks "I wouldn't ride her if she had pedals" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

rushvalley wrote: »
    For a woman lacking good looks "I wouldn't ride her if she had pedals" :pac:

A sniper wouldn't take her out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Des kelly wouldn't lay her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

For a woman thats been around a bit....
    She had an arse on her like buttons of a lift!!

Or " more pricks in her than a dartboard "

Advertisement