Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Ireland got a secret service?

• 07-01-2012 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching a program on Tv the other night on some satellite channel about the secret services of countries, CIA,MI5,MOSSAD etc etc and got to wonder if we here in Ireland have one, I know we have an Army G2 and the Garda C3 intelligent branches but as where a neutral country overshadowed by a larger neighbour do we have secret service ?

:) And I know thats why its called a secret service :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If i tell you, i'll have to kill you blast you with piss AH style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes - sort of.
    More of an intelligence unit at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There's a frw secret 'services' around Dublin ;)

They'll even throw in a very secret and sneaky finger :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

realies wrote: »
    I was watching a program on Tv the other night on some satellite channel about the secret services of countries, CIA,MI5,MOSSAD etc etc and got to wonder if we here in Ireland have one, I know we have an Army G2 and the Garda C3 intelligent branches but as where a neutral country overshadowed by a larger neighbour do we have secret service ?

:) And I know thats why its called a secret service :P

Yes we do... Now shhhh. Leave it at that and no more questions

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes - sort of.

And you ain't admitting any more....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

The F.C.A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Yeah our government is the secret service. But they are not very good at keeping secrets.

galwayrush wrote: »
    And you ain't admitting any more....:D

I know nothing more. :cool: :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

We have a mafia. Is that good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The IMF. Though they don't seem to be very secretive these days.

Ze geese fly high over ze frozen pond while ze sun shines...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

FFS we don't even have a decent public service - Seamus O'Bond agus Ms. Leath-phingin, yeah right. Christmas is coming again - bah humbug. Secret Service mo thoin, mutter, mutter, rhubarb, rhubarb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You sure about that Mr Biggins?:D

You sure about that Mr Biggins?:D

Absolutely.

I was never here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah, certified by FAS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I remember looking this up before, I went through a phase of loving all things spy like.
    I remember I found a dail transcript where a member of the opposition was questioning the minister for finance. He asked what the unvouched, unaudited funds given to an agency called the Irish Secret Service wad used for. The reply he got was something along the lines of 'well if I told you, it wouldn't be very secret'.

I would try and find that again, but I'm on ky phone. It didn't take long to find I don't think if anyone fancies googling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I read in the paper today that the Stasi files,if placed end to end would reach from Dublin to Newry.

They are available for inspection by anyone in the former East Germany but apparently there are very few inquiries.

It struck me that I would have no interest in looking at my file,should such a thing exist in Ireland.
    It would be a bit disillusioning to discover what a banal life you leave, and also how people you might trust had betrayed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yes we have. It's listed in government expenditure on annual reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I remember looking this up before, I went through a phase of loving all things spy like.
    I remember I found a dail transcript where a member of the opposition was questioning the minister for finance. He asked what the unvouched, unaudited funds given to an agency called the Irish Secret Service wad used for. The reply he got was something along the lines of 'well if I told you, it wouldn't be very secret'.

I would try and find that again, but I'm on ky phone. It didn't take long to find I don't think if anyone fancies googling it.
    WHILE YESTERDAY’S BUDGET was forced to wield the axe in a multitude of places – as Brendan Howlin sliced €2.2 billion from public spending – one small little-known agency was left with its budget untouched.
    The Irish Secret Service – which previously came under the funding umbrella of the Minister for Finance, but which now lives under the remit of Howlin’s own Department of Public Expenditure – has retained its full budgetary funding for next year.
    The agency will retain its €1m annual budget – despite having spent less than half of this, at €450,000, in 2011.
    Indeed, the agency has fared particularly well over the last few years despite the successive austerity Budgets – its budget was increased from €900,000 to €1m in 2009, despite spending cuts of some €1.2 billion in that year.
    Its budget was also maintained in last year’s Budget – despite an unprecedented €6 billion adjustment in the public finances last year.
    Little is known about Ireland’s Secret Service or its activities, though officials have previously indicated that it does not actually exist: it is actually a budget category for joint operations between the Gardaí and military intelligence.
    The service’s funding is paid into a bank account controlled by the Department of Public Expenditure, with funding then released whenever the ministers for Defence and Justice (currently both Alan Shatter) ask for it to be drawn down.
    As one official told a Public Accounts Committee meeting in 2008, “imagine that the money is used to pay for information in the interests of the service of the State, rather than the supply of bullet-proof cars.”
    In that light, it is perhaps more notable that the service’s spending actually fell in 2011, despite the visits of Barack Obama and Queen Elizabeth: it spent €702,000 in 2010, but only €450,000 this year.
    Sadly, we can’t tell you anything more that that. Well, we could, but we’d have to kill you.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/we-could-tell-you-about-the-secret-service-budget-but-then-wed-have-to-kill-you-297609-Dec2011/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

El Weirdo wrote: »

WHILE YESTERDAY’S BUDGET was forced to wield the axe in a multitude of places – as Brendan Howlin sliced €2.2 billion from public spending – one small little-known agency was left with its budget untouched.
    The Irish Secret Service – which previously came under the funding umbrella of the Minister for Finance, but which now lives under the remit of Howlin’s own Department of Public Expenditure – has retained its full budgetary funding for next year.
    The agency will retain its €1m annual budget – despite having spent less than half of this, at €450,000, in 2011.
    Indeed, the agency has fared particularly well over the last few years despite the successive austerity Budgets – its budget was increased from €900,000 to €1m in 2009, despite spending cuts of some €1.2 billion in that year.
    Its budget was also maintained in last year’s Budget – despite an unprecedented €6 billion adjustment in the public finances last year.
    Little is known about Ireland’s Secret Service or its activities, though officials have previously indicated that it does not actually exist: it is actually a budget category for joint operations between the Gardaí and military intelligence.
    The service’s funding is paid into a bank account controlled by the Department of Public Expenditure, with funding then released whenever the ministers for Defence and Justice (currently both Alan Shatter) ask for it to be drawn down.
    As one official told a Public Accounts Committee meeting in 2008, “imagine that the money is used to pay for information in the interests of the service of the State, rather than the supply of bullet-proof cars.”
    In that light, it is perhaps more notable that the service’s spending actually fell in 2011, despite the visits of Barack Obama and Queen Elizabeth: it spent €702,000 in 2010, but only €450,000 this year.
    Sadly, we can’t tell you anything more that that. Well, we could, but we’d have to kill you.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/we-could-tell-you-about-the-secret-service-budget-but-then-wed-have-to-kill-you-297609-Dec2011/
    Not the one I was thinking of but equally lacking in concrete information. :pac:

Thanks, btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No chance Bertie would have told everyone in his local by now, unless its like the United Irishmen - or one of those early independence groups, so secret people were publicly sworn in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes - sort of.

Hey Biggins, how's the flower selling business coming along?

Blooming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Did anyone ever find out who was in the 'golden circle'?
    Nope....

Secret service!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Blooming!

Flowers By Irene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's called Mossie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Couldn't be more than a half dozen people with a budget like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They do a great job considering every large IRA bomb attempt fails in the north. I'd imagine there is an agreement with the british government to operate in the north. Whoever the big wigs in the irish republican groups are, they are most likely from our undercover special forces. Either that or they really are the ****test terrorist group ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

C3 is the Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Couldn't be more than a half dozen people with a budget like that.

Just the two, Mossie (as already mentioned) and Jacinta Moneypenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Supposedly there is. It's called G2 and it's an Army Ranger unit. All very hush hush. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

pajor wrote: »
    Supposedly there is. It's called G2 and it's an Army Ranger unit. All very hush hush. :D

Thats covert special forces. Different to a Secret service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yeah our government is the secret service. But they are not very good at keeping secrets.

In fairness, they're not very good at anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'd like a secret service right now but it's not in the budget. :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

its called NAMA.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Thats covert special forces. Different to a Secret service.

I stand corrected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Flowers By Irene?

Maybe, or Cornations in assortments

Advertisement