Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Welshman's night in the North Star

• 08-01-2012 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Lifted this from another forum, nice little read. Can't say I've ever been in the North Star, I've been missing out. Now, I know the anti-rugby crowd here will disagree, and I know some mopes here will do the classic "everything's awful" routine, but I thought it was a nice enough.

I am a great believer in that it is never to late to say thankyou. I say this now from the bottom of my heart to all the grand Munster Folk who we met and enjoyed the weekend with. Yes we lost and were disappointed but such fun was had, the highlight of which was an enjoyable evening in the North Star after the game. My use of words is limited, one of our number who was with us that night, was Lofty who is famous on the Scarletfever forum and our local radio station for his stirring words. He has written about that night and I would love to share it with you.

"After the defeat at Thomond, quite a few of us stayed behind at the bar beneath the stadium. The Llandre and his "lost" voice started to pipe up with Welsh Hymns and Scarlet songs and it started. The Munster boys and girls joining in and a Welsh/Irish singing competition started in full flow. Bloody great it was as well, giving all what we had in the tank, it was a mighty effort and looking at the Munster faces they enjoyed the effort, from a pretty knackered group of Scarlet supporters.
    At about 6pm, it was time to go. Someone mentioned we need to get some food in us, so the last remnants of the Scarlet Army bide farewell to our hosts and the ramshackle and quite lubricated singers, staggered down towards Limerick City Centre.

As we all started to get closer to the centre, someone mentioned that we should go into a pub, hidden in a terrace of buildings, named the North Star. You should never judge a book by its cover and the external appearance was not appealing. Even to somewhat glazed eyes.

But in we trundled and what a welcome. On our right was a group of Munster fans all sitting down, enjoying their victory and in we walked. Within minutes of being made welcome the singing started up again and round two of the singing competition had restarted in front of an open hearth, blazing fire.

LLANDRE in full voice, followed sharply by Nine Three, Sosban Fach was bouncing off the compact pub and the Landlord and Landlady were smiling with the knowledge, something memorable was going to happen that night, in the North Star a week before Christmas.
    I sat in a quiet corner on a stool, watching the events unfold in a panoramic view through double vision. Baby Guiness were appearing on the bar and the drinks were being consumed at yet another incredible rate, but the singing was superb.
    Welsh songs were met by Irish songs and poems spoken with affection and the need to express the virtues of Celtic cousins.

In all my time visting places, that night in the North Star was a night when rugby cultures came as one, to enjoy each other's cultures, accents and stories and to highlight how great the Celtic nation really are.
    There were some fantastic heart felt speeches and some sublime words spoken from both sides, but i believe the Welsh just may have edged the first win on Irish soil that night.
    For everyone that was there, i believe when they look back at that night, the smiles will flow effortlessly with the knowledge that they had been part of something really special. For me and for others, those three or four hours were the highlight, of what was an absolutely superb weekend.

A night of spontaneity, unplanned, unrehearsed, it was glorious, it was really fantastic. And over the lined up bottles of Whiskey and other spirits, there lies the biggest spirit of all, the Scarlet flag, proudly hung, when the North Star became again, a shining light of hope."

To me it was what rugby is all about, a night to savour and remember. Thank you again Munster.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

while you were lifting that , did you manage to lift any spare tickets for next week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

while you were lifting that , did you manage to lift any spare tickets for next week ?

Nope, but I'd expect some to be floating about. Won't be around for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Where's the "North Star" ?

And no "just over from the Plough" answers please! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thomondgate - just around the corner from another great pub where I have had many a good night with visiting supporters (Bowles) not to mention the Guinness is superb there too!

northstar.jpg

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thomondgate - just around the corner from another great pub where I have had many a good night with visiting supporters (Bowles) not to mention the Guinness is superb there too!

northstar.jpg

Jeez, don't tell them about JJ's, you'll ruin it for the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Was in the north star myself last night as I do every match night I have to say its a great spot. great guinness and good banter. After the Northampton match brought a few sad fans into the star and they loved it said they never been anywhere like it. Had to be said guinness from a barrel under the counter is always good

sioda wrote: »
    Was in the north star myself last night as I do every match night I have to say its a great spot. great guinness and good banter. After the Northampton match brought a few sad fans into the star and they loved it said they never been anywhere like it. Had to be said guinness from a barrel under the counter is always good

Sure, all the cool kids'll be going there next.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Sure, all the cool kids'll be going there next.

See you there after the match on Saturday? :cool:

Advertisement