Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deeds

• 08-01-2012 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

How many of us do good deeds? I mean, we all just want to do enough to get through our lives with the minimum of fuss. But sometimes its nice to do little things for people. Karma and all that. So what have you done recently, to constitute a good deed/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I haven't killed anyone lately, been in the jolly Xmas spirit and all :)

I don't believe in doing nice things in case "karma" gets me, I do it because it's morally right to help another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Duggy747 wrote: »

You owe me €50 then. If that bithch is not dealt with you will pay in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

No good deed goes unpunished.
    You owe me €50 then. If that bithch is not dealt with you will pay in other ways.

See?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Business hours will resume on Monday, if you have a complaint about my assassaination skills please forward it to customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i helped an elderly woman down a flight of stairs.

with a push

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Business hours will resume on Monday, if you have a complaint about my assassaination skills please forward it to customer service

What time on Monday, and what time zone are we talking about. Mine, yours or the soon to be departed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm always there for my friends, they like to confide in me, I've heard some shocking confessions but I never judge I just advise.
    And store up some great future blackmail material.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There's a few times that i moved way out of someones path, so they didn't have to move a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    No good deed goes unpunished.

So true! Karmas a bctih! :( I do good deeds all the time though, whether its helping at home or some friends out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xcandyflossx

I took it up the arse! :cool:

Srsly :D It was his birthday though! Wish he'd pay more attention to me now :( I hate paddy power !

• Advertisement

Srsly :D It was his birthday though! Wish he'd pay more attention to me now :( I hate paddy power !

alright then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kim_Il_Jong

bing bong. ladies and gentlemen, this thread has been diverted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I don't believe in doing nice things in case "karma" gets me, I do it because it's morally right to help another.

How's "that" housemate by the way? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I do good deeds but partly because I hate who I used to be and trying to make up for it to restore my mental health,,,quite a selfish reason really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Paddy Power gave you one up the chocolate speedway?

LMFAO ! No, my BF is kinda addicted to Poker I think. Any ideas of what I should do ?

Apparently the deal with 'Karma' from the people who came up with the concept is that the books don't have to balance in this lifetime, you can be a complete bllix and still be blessed with a great life while a real decent person can get a complete sht deal all the time.

The catch is that the same people have the concept of re-incarnation, the books get balanced in your next life.
    So Mr Bllox might just re-arrive into a sht life.

Bad karma is like having to drink salt-water, but if you're good enough you can add so much water, by being good, that its not that bad.

LMFAO ! No, my BF is kinda addicted to Poker I think. Any ideas of what I should do ?

Walk away before you are banned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I don't actually believe in karma, per se. But there's nothing wrong with doing something nice for people, if you see an opportunity to.

chucken1 wrote: »
    Walk away before you are banned??

Banned for what? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I suggest therapy and more bum action.

Yes, a threesome will quickly make him forget.

Your boyfriend totally deserves a threesome, and many sandwiches and regular xbox games.

(nice one, thats me sorted for my next life)

Yes, a threesome will quickly make him forget.

Your boyfriend totally deserves a threesome, and many sandwiches and regular xbox games.

(nice one, thats me sorted for my next life)
    Less poker =more pokher

in dungbox:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Less poker =more pokher

in dungbox:)

Chocolate speedway and dungbox in one page.

You, sir, are a hero. I salute you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I was on the phone as I waited for a guy to finish at an atm today. It took a couple of seconds to register that he hadn't taken the money and he'd disappeared into the shopping centre crowd and I hadn't registered what he looked like, so I took the cash sticking out of the slot, did my own transaction, and waited beside the machine for the guy to realise he didn't take his cash with his card and maybe come back. He didn't.

So I went to the customer desk, told them I was handing in the cash at the police station if anyone enquired, and then I went to the police and filled in the form and left the cash. It took up ages and I wound up going home without the things I'd intended to get while I was out.

tl:dr:

I found a wad of cash and did the right thing, even though it ruined my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

I'll go against the trend here and not refer to anal sex but answer the question asked.

Funnily enough today I donated the huge jar of loose change to Milford Hospice in Limerick and donated a load of clothes to Limerick Animal Welfare.

Need to do a lot more in fairness.

up the bum no harm done...couldn't resist :P

Giselle wrote: »
    I was on the phone as I waited for a guy to finish at an atm today. It took a couple of seconds to register that he hadn't taken the money and he'd disappeared into the shopping centre crowd and I hadn't registered what he looked like, so I took the cash sticking out of the slot, did my own transaction, and waited beside the machine for the guy to realise he didn't take his cash with his card and maybe come back. He didn't.

So I went to the customer desk, told them I was handing in the cash at the police station if anyone enquired, and then I went to the police and filled in the form and left the cash. It took up ages and I wound up going home without the things I'd intended to get while I was out.

tl:dr:

I found a wad of cash and did the right thing, even though it ruined my day.

am.... ya know if you just left the cash there, it goes back in to the machine, so he wouldn't have lost it. And I wouldn't personally trust the guards tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A good deed never goes unpunished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

am.... ya know if you just left the cash there, it goes back in to the machine, so he wouldn't have lost it.

I never knew that.

I could cry.:(

• Advertisement

Giselle wrote: »
    I never knew that.

I could cry.:(

oops. well you'll know for future. he'll probably have assumed someone stole it, if it's showing up as gone from his account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sunnymar

Theres a very elderly couple that live somewhere on my street. Ive seen them walking to and from the shop the odd time. Ive been living here a year and over that time id have helped the lady walk down the slope on the path (shes very poor mobility). Ive always wanted to knock into them, give them my number and tell them that i'll go to the shop and get their messages if they want me to. Is that too weird though? Ive stopped myself from doing it because I thought it might make them/me awkward. do people do stuff like that anymore?

sunnymar wrote: »
    Theres a very elderly couple that live somewhere on my street. Ive seen them walking to and from the shop the odd time. Ive been living here a year and over that time id have helped the lady walk down the slope on the path (shes very poor mobility). Ive always wanted to knock into them, give them my number and tell them that i'll go to the shop and get their messages if they want me to. Is that too weird though? Ive stopped myself from doing it because I thought it might make them/me awkward. do people do stuff like that anymore?

that's really nice of you, but it'd be best if you got more acquainted with them before that. I mean even if you were to bump into them coming from the shop they go to, cause then you could offer to carry the stuff back, and maybe bring it up then?

that's really nice of you, but it'd be best if you got more acquainted with them before that. I mean even if you were to bump into them coming from the shop they go to, cause then you could offer to carry the stuff back, and maybe bring it up then?

Good thinking, they'd probably wonder who the hell I was if I just knocked on their door :-)

I think I just need to get over my own awkwardness next time I see them.

They will most likely tell you to ......

People DO stuff like that :)

Good on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

As I was leaving the Vue cinema in Liffey Valley I noticed that there was a large queue to buy tickets at the main counter. I stopped and told the lady with two kids at the end of the queue to go to the ice cream counter and get her tickets there, no queue and get the tickets quicker.

Actually that's a bit of a shít story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

stoneill wrote: »
    As I was leaving the Vue cinema in Liffey Valley I noticed that there was a large queue to buy tickets at the main counter. I stopped and told the lady with two kids at the end of the queue to go to the ice cream counter and get her tickets there, no queue and get the tickets quicker.

Actually that's a bit of a shít story.

Actually, that's a great story. You have the knowledge, you share the knowledge. High five for you son, high five and a down low fo sho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stick your karma where the sun don't shine.

The-Rigger wrote: »

Ok :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My good deed was letting the person who no longer lives in my block and who rang my apartment so they could get in and check their post at 8am this morning (on a Sunday) in, instead of telling them to feck right off like I felt like doing.

Actually, they may not have been checking their post at all and could have been stalking somebody in my block and I just aided them, but what the hell-I felt like I was being nice at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I love doing good deeds.

One of my favourites is something I posted on here once before about. It was years ago and I was working for a big newspaper. There was a crosssword every fortnight and the prize was a set of encyclopaedias (worth the guts of about $AU500 back then).

Every so often I'd be asked to pull out the winner from a huge sack of entries. If I got someone from the Northern suburbs, I always put it back in and kept picking one out till I got someone from a poor area.

I loved ringing them and telling they had won. Every so often they would literally break down on the phone, saying how much it would help their kids in school and they could never have afforded to buy them outright.

Doing good deeds makes me feel good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

cloud493 wrote: »
    How many of us do good deeds? I mean, we all just want to do enough to get through our lives with the minimum of fuss. But sometimes its nice to do little things for people. Karma and all that. So what have you done recently, to constitute a good deed/

There is a girl that sells the Herald every Sunday outside the Cathedral opposite my block of flats. I saw her freezing one day in the cold, and thought poor you. So I made her a flask of tea, and brought it down to her with a packet of chocolate chip cookies to cheer her up. She was delighted to get a hot drink to warm herself up.

cloud493 wrote: »

There is a girl that sells the Herald every Sunday outside the Cathedral opposite my block of flats. I saw her freezing one day in the cold, and thought poor you. So I made her a flask of tea, and brought it down to her with a packet of chocolate chip cookies to cheer her up. She was delighted to get a hot drink to warm her up.

Aw! Thats lovely!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76383786

Advertisement