Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistake in licence

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I am waiting for a month for my licence for an exchange firearm and it finally arrived on Friday. I was checking the gun serial number on it and noticed a mistake where what should be a U is printed as a V. I am due to collect the gun next week and don't want any further delays with it. Will the RFD be able to issue the gun with an incorrect serial no. on the licence or will I be able to collect it and get it rectified afterwards? I have another licence that has also errors on it and when I went to have it corrected two months ago at my local station I was told that a new licence would be issued. I'm still waiting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

denismac wrote: »
    I was checking the gun serial number on it and noticed a mistake where what should be a U is printed as a V.

DenisMac,
    Advise the Gardai as soon as possible.

I understand what it's like waiting. However, if you come across the wrong person that wants to enforce the letter of the law, pardon the pun, you could have a problem.

Technically, you've got an unlicensed firearm.

True, it was their mistake.

But YOU are the one with the unlicensed firearm.

Cover your @$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Plain and simple he won't give you the gun.

Happened to me when I changed the barrel on my Sako Quad from .22lr to .17HMR. "Someone" :rolleyes: issued me with a shiny new .17inches license with the serial number of a traded in .22lr.

Dealer sent me back to the cops to get it straightened out, so I'd advise you ring the dealer, and visit the cops, don't expect to be handed the gun because you won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Would you drive your car with the insurance cert issued to some other reg? Doubtfull! For your own sake call up to the station, you'll have the correct licence issued to you in less then three working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

It happened to me the gundealer didn't want to give the licence so i rang the guards, the guard said 'sure for **** sake wouldn't you think he'ld have the manners to give you the gun after driving all the way down to collect it'.

Put the guard on to the gun dealer and they agreed to give me the gun and I would send him (the dealer) a copy of the amended licence when i got it and everything would be hunky dory and thats what happened.

The guards can change that for you straight away and reissue a new licence, but get it sorted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

same here mine was missing a number off the end of it and the gun dealer gave it out to me and the fo reissued a new licence afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

i had a mistake on my substitute licence they have the expiry date as 01/01/1000 !!!!! serial number etc correct so got gun from rfd no prob but will have to get licence sorted.

Even if rfd will give you the gun i would suggest you do NOT take it as it has been pointed out above u will be carrying and using an un licenced firearm and that is heat you you dont need.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I called to my local Garda station to point out the mistake. I had to sign a change of details form and will have to wait for a new licence to be issued. As it is a 'technical error' and no other firearm of that make is likely to bear the incorrect serial number the local Garda has no problems with the gun being issued by the RFD and said he could ring them to confirm this if need be. BTW the expiry on the licence is also 01/01/1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Was just over with neighbour there saturday evening as I'm taking an old Remington Model 34 off his hands.

It's a lovely old .22rf but I couldn't find the serial number on it (turns out it was under the scope mount) so resorted to taking it from his licence.

Had a look at the licence and it's down as a .220! :rolleyes:

He's had the gun for better than 40 years and had no idea it was incorrect.

Probably gonna cause nightmares now when I go looking for the ticket for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

extremetaz wrote: »

.220 inches? On all .22lr licenses AFAIK, it was on my old one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

extremetaz wrote: »

.22 is the same as .220 :rolleyes: back to school for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

aaah - well thank christ for that. :o

I saw .220 and thought it had been recorded as the bigger round.

<relief>

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I got a new licence in the post today. The expiry date was corrected but the serial number is still wrong. Maybe they noticed the date error themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

same here i got my licence today with the corrected expiry date as you said they must have realised their mistake and just sent out a new one as i hadnt been back into the guards yet. thankfully serial number was right on both of them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I dont know if the serial number is correct on mine as the print has come off the license.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement