Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider homebrew from scratch

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Well, opened my first few over the holidays and I can say it has been a resounding success other than that my secondary fermentation has completed leaving the finished product incredibly dry and converting (a total of) 1090 of sugar to alcohol. (:D)

How does any one with out the aid of refridgeration keep the secondary fermentation from running it's course? I added 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to each pint and it is perfect but would rather the alcohol content wasn't as high. Any one with experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

With a starting gravity of 1.090, did you add extra sugar to it? why not try it with out the sugar addation

Also you can kill the yeast with campden tablets, but make sure your sanitation is good as you could open your self up to infection with all that excess sugar still present

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

ive just got a can of Blackrock cider kit, This is my first cider kit, how can i make the most of it, i was going to add some (5L) apple juice to it, ive heard people adding lactose to cider kit but don't know why, is lactose infermentable. So any sugestions to help me make the most of it. Already dreaming of this over some rocks on a hot sunny day in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Maybe my post was a little confusing.

I dissolve the teaspoon of sugar into the cider after opening it for drinking. The OG was 1080 and I added 0010 for bottle fermentation. Some of the bottles are quite volotile and need care when opening. The problem is the all the priming sugar is fermented, raising the abv to 7.5%-9% I would prefer a lighter cider with some sweetness left. As far as I can tell the only way to do it is to add non-fermentable sugars to the cider before bottling.

This brew is done from apples btw, not a kit

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

Hey hey!

Would you be good enough to share the recipe. I can't find the one I used previously. It was originally published in an ICA pamphlet my Ma had. I love to do it from scratch again. It was fantastic the last time.

Thanks

Eugene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Did you add yeast, or use the natural yeast on the skins?

I'd try get a yeast which doesn't like a high alcohol level as it may die off before the abv gets too high.

• Advertisement
Advertisement