Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry beds, flooding an issue?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 3:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10

Hi all

I am considering viewing this property

www.daft.ie/1619907

I know some parts of the strawberry beds are liable to flood, but I believe some preventative work was approved in 2008.

Any advice you might have on propensity of this property to flooding would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Niamh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup, still not much protection down there. The council does seem to have sorted it out but anything unusual and it will spill over onto the road. I also think that house isn't on the actual strawberry bed road, could be wrong. goggle maps has it right in Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Given that there is a house across the road on a much lower level, I don't think the house itself would be at risk. The road and any parking may be another matter.

You need to talk to an engineer and the vendor needs to convince you both.

"Numerous features would include Car park spaces for up to 3-4 cars" - I'd love to know where these are.

http://binged.it/wi8GKX

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,709148,735640,7,3

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2+The+Weir,+Strawberry+Beds,+Co.+Dublin&hl=en-GB&ll=53.359573,-6.360303&spn=0.000419,0.001206&sll=53.349409,-6.345427&sspn=0.006648,0.01929&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.359527,-6.360161&panoid=D-J5F0lonXi0NDZGIqNqhw&cbp=12,31.29,,0,20.12

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I live just off the Strawberry Beds (at the old Liffey Bridge in Lucan village).
    The Strawberry Beds road has been formally closed due to flooding 4 times in the last year- normally its 1-2, but last year was a bad year (mind you the bridge in the village of Lucan itself also managed to get itself closed on one occasion).

The flooding tends to be (ironically) around the Canoe Union- perhaps they knew something the rest of us didn't when they were building their clubhouse? It tends to be around 18 to 20" deep and would be passable in a 4x4- by people trained to drive in those conditions. The big issue tends to be people taking a chance- last time it flooded there were over a dozen cars that decided to chance it and had to be rescued.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The location on DAFT is wrong for that house. It is actually located a 100 yards down the hill from the Anglers Rest on the Lower Road at 53°21'34.57"N 6°21'36.70"W - check out Street View. This is opposite the Anglers Rest car park which is downhill and the house has plenty of elevation to protect it from flood water from the Liffey. The issue that would need consideration is run-off from behind/north of the property. There's a steep bank with some good vegetation/trees which would help absorb some run-off, but beyond (north) that there is a road and Sion Hill school which has plenty of paved surfaces producing plenty of run-off. Would that create enough to become a problem for the property you are interested in, I don't know, but it is a major problem for some of the houses between Strawberry Hall and the M50 bridge on a par with risk from the Liffey. One of the houses there has an intermittent small stream running through a less than 1 foot gap at the side of the house due to recent changes in the land use above/north of the property producing more run-off.

Ask around is your best bet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Fairymails

Wow, sounds a bit scary! It's a lovely house with lots of potential and I've always fancied that area of Dublin. However I think it's too big a risk for me. Agreed that it appears that the run off from the hill would be the biggest concern. I will ring the insurance company a.m. and see if they would insure the property, they have geo location records for subsidance and flooding.

Many thanks all for your comments, most helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't get scared about it, I'd just recommend you check it out. I'd ask the neighbours about it. The chances are that the road above will take most of the risk away, but my now rusty civil engineering and the experiences of my friend living below the bridge say it must be put on the checklist, just in case. I wouldn't mention it to the insurance unless and until it is determined to be an actual risk, chances of which are very near zero.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fairymails wrote: »
    Wow, sounds a bit scary! It's a lovely house with lots of potential and I've always fancied that area of Dublin. However I think it's too big a risk for me. Agreed that it appears that the run off from the hill would be the biggest concern. I will ring the insurance company a.m. and see if they would insure the property, they have geo location records for subsidance and flooding.

Many thanks all for your comments, most helpful.

Its not scarey- I've lived in the area all my life- you accept that the road floods periodically (usual would have been maybe one every 2 or 3 years, but it seems to flood more often these days).

As for insurance etc- don't use this as a barometer to whether the property will flood or not- my house is classified as an uninsurable risk- however despite the chaotic weather we've had for the past few years- its not been an issue to me whatsoever. Also- the bridge into Lucan village being closed due to flooding- thats over 20 feet above the level of the Liffey and caused by chronic blocking of the drains- nothing more, nothing less.

So do your research- because often what sounds scarey really isn't anything like what you'd imagine........

Advertisement