Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wax Jackets - How to clean them

• 08-01-2012 3:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I am new to this Forum and thus am not even sure i am in the right place.

I have a Wax Jacket which is Tan in colour. It has got dirty around creases in it.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how i might be able to clean it :confused:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Is it Barbour or similar brand? Contact the retailer and ask them maybe? My boyfriend bought a tatty old Barbour wax jacket on eBay and sent it to Barbour to be fixed up, for a fee.

Have you check the tags on the inside of the jacket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

You should be able to get a wax spray to freshen up the wax jacket and make it look better. However, I recommend you wipe it down with a damp cloth beforehand to take any stains/dirt/dust, etc. off it.

If it's around the creases, it may just be that the jacket has faded slightly there and isn't actually dirty? If so, the spray will help with that.

Here's a link to one such spray: http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=71&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You cant clean a wax jacket except by gently brushing off any dirt and/or using clean cold water. Once you have done that buy actually wax and apply it carefully. What's most likely actually happened is the wax has worn away from the creases and collected at the edges.

This is part of the ageing of wax jackets, you can't fully stop or get them as new again.

Here is the Barbour advice
    Q. My wax jacket is dirty how can I clean it?
    A. The only way you can clean your waxed cotton garment is to sponge it down with clean cold water - including the inner lining.
    Do not use soaps or detergents, wash in a washing machine or dry clean as this would permanently damage the garment and any re-application of the wax coating will be totally absorbed by the cotton fabric and will soil the inner lining. This in turn, will soil any clothing worn underneath the jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I would reccommend strongly against trying to clean a wax jacket (as opposed to maintaining it). It is a work garment and part of its nature is to age and fade differently around creases, beyond brushing and re-waxing I'd leave it alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

sorry to bump such an old thread -the mother threw her wax jacket into the washing machine :eek: it's full of creases now - any idea how to get them out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement