Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BALLYMOTE.

Options
  • 08-01-2012 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I was travelling to Ballymote from the Galway road and passed what appears to be a bridge over the railway line. (funny I hear you say, but this doesen't appear to be your normal bridge). anybody??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    I was travelling to Ballymote from the Galway road and passed what appears to be a bridge over the railway line. (funny I hear you say, but this doesen't appear to be your normal bridge). anybody??? :confused:

What seems to be amiss with this bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

You title the thread "BALLYMOTE", then you post some abstract comment/question? (still not sure) about some bridge from the Galway road? Whats your question? what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Illogical post is illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Nothing strange about a bridge over a railway line-it happens when the crossing point,either side is elevated above hieght of the tracks.Theres another one on the road out of Ballymote ,on the Ballaghdereen road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

(funny I hear you say anybody??? :confused:

Not really.
    We have a few bridges in sligo.
    All shapes and sizes, over rivers, roads and the aforementioned railway.
    Its very exciting.

Edit: oooohhhh yeaaaah, this is the lego bridge in the middle of nowhere.
    Its well away from the n17!!
    Sorry op, thought you were drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

This is going to eliminate a few separate crossings afaik, there are a few houses all with their own gate for the railway. There is a youtube link about a car just getting through one of these and the train missing it by a split second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

All right smart ar*es! If you travel from the Galway road into Ballymote you will see a new concrete bridge going over the railway line, not too far from the new bridge are a few level crossings leading to private houses, was curious as to why this bridge was built when the level crossings was close at hand. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

All right smart ar*es! If you travel from the Galway road into Ballymote you will see a new concrete bridge going over the railway line, not too far from the new bridge are a few level crossings leading to private houses, was curious as to why this bridge was built when the level crossings was close at hand. :confused:

Perhaps a communication course might help?

...oh yeah, almost forgot the bemused emoticon! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

You mean on the Ballymote road, into Ballymote.

It does seem like a weird bridge, plus they've been building it for ages now. If it prevents accidents then it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

O.k,I know the one you are on about now.It probably provides access to more than one house and maybe there have been accidents on the nearby crossing in the past?.The last time i travelled on this line,I noticed two pairs of level crossing gates that had not been shut.Also,I heard that a few months ago, seven pairs of these gates along the Slgo-Boyle secton had been stolen-presumably for scrap. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

The level crossings in that area have been deemed unsafe, so the bridge had to be built and the crossings closed. That's what I had been told in the railway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ftt_frank

Hi there, Im from that area. There originally were a few accidents on a range of these railway crossings over the last few years. I heard that it costs 100K plus to insure each of these crossings per year. That is alot of money. That crossing in particular was notorious for having gates open, cattle on the tracks etc, so that would have driven the insurance up on that crossing alone (enough to justify the cost of a bridge). Hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Its a fairly steep bridge by all accounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Problem solved, question answered!! thanks guys. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Stupid design for the bridge. Cost over a million to put it there and they should have just put in an access road from the existing bridge that is a 1/4 of a mile up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Slidey wrote: »
    Stupid design for the bridge. Cost over a million to put it there and they should have just put in an access road from the existing bridge that is a 1/4 of a mile up the road

I agree. It seems a bit over the top to have the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement