Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Corrib

Options
  • 08-01-2012 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

there lot blue lights on last 2 Bridge .... .o'brien's bridge and Wolfe Tone Bridge
    any know whats happen ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I saw two emergency vehicles with lights flashing going down Distillery road at about 1:30am - one of them was towing a rescue boat. Inauspicious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

I noticed them too, then heard (and can still hear) the Coast Guard zooming over the house. GalwayNews.ie says a man was seen entering the water on Wolfe Tone Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Yeah, apparently a man was seen going into the river just before 3 this morning and before that there was a fella in a boat on the river above salmon wier that had gone missing, hence the coast guard boat as the lifeboat can't get up there. Both the coast guard boat and lifeboat were later searching the docks area for the man seen entering the water. The helicopter was up then this morning searching both areas. Sadly don't think they've found anyone of the two as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

apparently a man was seen going into the river just before 3 this morning , thought city was cctv .... what about the bridges ?
    time for nets are somethink ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

extraice wrote: »
    apparently a man was seen going into the river just before 3 this morning , thought city was cctv .... what about the bridges ?
    time for nets are somethink ....

There is no net in the world that could withstand that volume of water and all the debris that gets washed down in high floods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Zzippy wrote: »
    There is no net in the world that could withstand that volume of water and all the debris that gets washed down in high floods.

I think he meant a net under the bridge to catch people not one in the water. Still wouln't work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

12 element wrote: »
    I think he meant a net under the bridge to catch people not one in the water. Still wouln't work though.

Someone determined to commit suicide will find a way, so you're right, nets under the bridge would also not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nothing more than a comment but has anybody else noticed that if this is the guy who went into the river, this will be the third student in an IT related course to kill themselves in the city this year...just a comment and I know it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep speculating and discussion about causes etc down until the papers have released information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Nothing more than a comment but has anybody else noticed that if this is the guy who went into the river, this will be the third student in an IT related course to kill themselves in the city this year...just a comment and I know it doesn't really matter.

He's in UL.

Anyways would the person have jumped in the river at 3 o clock in the day? <snip>

• Advertisement
Advertisement