Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn .ie's

Options
  • 08-01-2012 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi, hope you guys can help.

I am currently a student recieving back to education allowance. my friend who is a sole trader wants to transfer a domain to me for a website idea I've been working on.

Firstly I cant register as a sole trader as it would mean I am no longer to my entitlements with back to education (even though you can work up to 20 hours a week on it)

Secondly Ive no intention of making money from the website until its fully operational which could be 18-24months away so its not worth my while to give up my back to education.

Is there anyways I can own that domain or are the IEDR too mean? :P

Thanks in advance!
    Shanley.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

you could register the business,claim the domain, then declare it insolvent,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Does it have to be a .ie? will a .com or .net not do?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Its a very good one worded .ie so I REALLY REALLY want to use it

Dont want to give the Governmnet any excuse to annoy them in this climate so wont be going insolvent :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Shanley wrote: »
    Hi, hope you guys can help.

I am currently a student recieving back to education allowance. my friend who is a sole trader wants to transfer a domain to me for a website idea I've been working on.
    Have the Sole Trader allow you to use the website for development. No transfer is necessary. Have a contract drawn up that will have the domain transferred to you at some future date. Make sure that you or the Sole Trader maintains the domain (keeps paying the renewal fees).

There is also a discretionary category under which you can apply for the domain.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

You can register a business name with the CRO (make sure it is similar to the ddomaian name). Use this to claim the domain name.
    I did this recently for my brother - it does not change your status with tax/revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Going to keep the site in his name I think, probably the best way to do it.

Not sure about getting a contract drawn up though, seems a bit insulting :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's not insulting at all. Actually it's very wise to have one and very foolish not to. Even friends can fall out especially when it comes to business (first hand experience of that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I remember thinking when I faxed a printed letterhead to the IEDR that it seemed a lo of twaddle seeing as the were accepting such a poor proof of being a company. Have things changed since then? As a sole trader I think a letterhead is all they need, so design one up on word and give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

tricky D wrote: »
    It's not insulting at all. Actually it's very wise to have one and very foolish not to. Even friends can fall out especially when it comes to business (first hand experience of that).
    http://vimeo.com/22053820

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Why on earth would you futz about with registering as a sole trader? Just register it as an individual as a discretionary name. I've already done that with four .ie addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

Thank you so much for posting this link. This video is a 'must see' for anyone who's self-employed or considering starting a business.

Advertisement