Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading laptop graphics card

Options
  • 08-01-2012 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Clevo W860cu with a GTX 280m (70 watts), thinking of getting a GTX 485m which is 100 watts. It says 120 watts max on the base, would it be okay?

edit: never mind, just found out it won't work, radeon 4970 seems to be the best it can handle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

ShaneU wrote: »
    I have a Clevo W860cu with a GTX 280m (70 watts), thinking of getting a GTX 485m which is 100 watts. It says 120 watts max on the base, would it be okay?

edit: never mind, just found out it won't work, radeon 4970 seems to be the best it can handle

From the little research I've done, it looks like that laptop shipped with GTX 285m and 5870m. Are you sure the graphics are up gradable? I've personally never found a laptop that can accommodate different GPU's, only the one it shipped with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They are, yeah. There are a few manufacturers - Alienware and Clevo/Sager being the mains ones - that will use MXM GPUs in their notebooks, meaning they offer limited upgradeability. You need to have a PSU that can handle the power, a heatsink for the same, and the correct version of the slot, but once those factors are checked, you can get whatever GPU you like.

Advertisement