Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360-70 points, am i capable??

• 08-01-2012 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hello good people! im in the 'big lc' this year and hard to believe, half way through it. basically, i would describe myself as a lazy worker but willing to do well in order to reap the rewards. i got 360 in my christmas exam and intend on making the trip up to the big smoke next autumn (no, not Dublin, my big smoke is Galway!) but yeah, i hope to do Arts in NUIG. which was at 340 points last year if im not mistaken. to most of you, 340 isnt alot, but for me, i have 0 motivation to study, i complete my homework with my best effort EVERY night, i study for my class tests and in general, i enjoy school. going home and doing the homework is not a problem. its always the first thing i do when i go home, but its the study after that i cannot do. for the last week of the christmas hols, i studied business everyday as it is a subject i am not performing well in but i know i have potential to get a low B in, something which would be of huge value in obtaining 365 points approx (i say 360-370 because i want to make sure i get beyond the 340 mark for Arts. i am also anticipating a small rise in points, poosibly up to 350) but anyways, what i want advice on is, after getting 360 at xmas, and with views to getting that in the mocks and again in June, how much study would ye recommend? i know its a very vague question but in general, an hour a night? and how many subjects a night/a wekk? etc. etc. thank you in advance and hon galway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Weetbix

hongalway wrote: »
    hello good people! im in the 'big lc' this year and hard to believe, half way through it. basically, i would describe myself as a lazy worker but willing to do well in order to reap the rewards. i got 360 in my christmas exam and intend on making the trip up to the big smoke next autumn (no, not Dublin, my big smoke is Galway!) but yeah, i hope to do Arts in NUIG. which was at 340 points last year if im not mistaken. to most of you, 340 isnt alot, but for me, i have 0 motivation to study, i complete my homework with my best effort EVERY night, i study for my class tests and in general, i enjoy school. going home and doing the homework is not a problem. its always the first thing i do when i go home, but its the study after that i cannot do. for the last week of the christmas hols, i studied business everyday as it is a subject i am not performing well in but i know i have potential to get a low B in, something which would be of huge value in obtaining 365 points approx (i say 360-370 because i want to make sure i get beyond the 340 mark for Arts. i am also anticipating a small rise in points, poosibly up to 350) but anyways, what i want advice on is, after getting 360 at xmas, and with views to getting that in the mocks and again in June, how much study would ye recommend? i know its a very vague question but in general, an hour a night? and how many subjects a night/a wekk? etc. etc. thank you in advance and hon galway!

Well it depends on how you learn. I have a short attention spam and need to make a to do list before I can do anything so I do it like this: list everything I need to know (most important things)

Get at least 2 hours study done a night apart from homework, at weekends I do 1.30 to 2 hours in the morning (i wake up really early like 7/8 ) then I start again at 8pm or 9pm and I do another 2.

I keep a study journal to keep an eye on my progress and am honest in my journal in others words on days that. I didn't do anything I say I did nothing. I make it up or try lol (i dont usually but am meant to) in my extra time during weekends

Hope I helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I would recommend you get your arse into gear and realise you won't get what you want if you don't do the work. I managed 405 last year, down from 450 or something in the mocks, because I got complacent, and thought I could just "get by". 405 looks like a grand few points, but I missed out on what actually mattered, and got a D3 in higher maths, rendering myself ineligible for all of my CAO choices, bar one. Luckily, I got that course, and I'm pretty glad I did in the end, but frankly, there was a very high likelihood I could have missed out on college completely.

Do not get complacent, force yourself to study, keep away from any chance of missing your targets, or you may regret not applying for just those few extra hours.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

what subjects are you doing man, also how many H.L or O.L?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Anyone can get 360 in the Leaving Cert. I failed the majority of my mocks and got 370 without a bit of study.

However, I tend to remember and understand things quite easily so you should just do as much study as you can. Make sure that you go to all of your classes and study in little bits. If you don't study much there is no point at all in saying that I'm gong to do 5 hours tomorrow because you will end up not doing anything at all. Start studying a small bit maybe an hour or even a half an hour and work your way up.

Always start studying with your worst subject first as you will fell better once its done and don't study similar subjects one after the other. Eg Dont study english and then Irish and then Frence one after the other. Instead to English then Math then Irish etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Anyone can get 360 in the Leaving Cert. I failed the majority of my mocks and got 370 without a bit of study.

Good for you.
    360 is an above average mark in the LC, so it is not exactly true that 'anyone' can get it, with or without study.

OP - find your style of learning and work to your strengths. Do not take anyone else's experience as an indication of the way for you to go.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    360 is an above average mark in the LC, so it is not exactly true that 'anyone' can get it, with or without study.

Yes they can, just because someone isn't perceived as intelligent doesn't mean that they can't get good results. If someone really wants good results then they will work hard and make sure that they get good results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes they can, just because someone isn't perceived as intelligent doesn't mean that they can't get good results. If someone really wants good results then they will work hard and make sure that they get good results.

Tell that to someone reading at the level of a 9 year old and yes, there are such people sitting the Leaving Cert., maybe not in your school, but they are out there.

It is disingenuous to suggest 'anyone' can get an above average mark in the LC.

spurious wrote: »

Tell that to someone reading at the level of a 9 year old and yes, there are such people sitting the Leaving Cert., maybe not in your school, but they are out there.

It is disingenuous to suggest 'anyone' can get an above average mark in the LC.

Okay so some people would find it very difficult or near impossible but I still believe that anyone can do it (it may take those specific people o

But people like that most likely would have a sever learning disability or they weren't thought properly in Primary school. There are people but they would be the exception rather than the rule.

Any "normal" teenager can do it though and that is what I will continue to believe. If you disagree Im sorry but I dont believe that you will be able to change my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hongalway

smurph - Higher english geography business and ag sciene, lower irish, maths and french. i intend on getting 70 in LCVP as it is something i have alwys done quite well in too so i intend using that as one of the 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

If you really want to get your course in Galway you'll work your hardest and have the motivavtion to get the points.

From your post it looks like you are a good student. Just keep doing the HW everynight and studying for the class tests. When you have the spare time do some study, at the end of the day you have five months left and if you've worked consistently all along and put in a bit extra before the run up I'm sure you'll get your points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

hongalway wrote: »
    smurph - Higher english geography business and ag sciene, lower irish, maths and french. i intend on getting 70 in LCVP as it is something i have alwys done quite well in too so i intend using that as one of the 6
    Do not depend on LCVP. It is very hard to get a distinction in. It's marked incredibly hard because of the standard and it's perception as an easy subject.

If you don't study now and get the course you really want, you'll be left with 2 options.

1)Settle for a course further down your list than you don't really want and be stuck in a career you hate for the rest of your life, just because you wouldn't put the extra effort in to get 360 points (which really isn't hard to get at all).

2)Spending more money to repeat the LC and miss out on the whole 1st year experience of college with your friends. While they're in college enjoying the experience together, you won't be able to go out with them because you'll have school in the morning, or have to study.

Put the work in now and you'll get your course. Short term pain for long term gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

silversky wrote: »
    If you really want to get your course in Galway you'll work your hardest and have the motivavtion to get the points.

From your post it looks like you are a good student. Just keep doing the HW everynight and studying for the class tests. When you have the spare time do some study, at the end of the day you have five months left and if you've worked consistently all along and put in a bit extra before the run up I'm sure you'll get your points.

Surprisly i agree with silversky on this one!:):)

Advertisement