Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Borgen [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I am not ashamed to say I had a sniffle during Episode 6 - the opening scene with Kaspar back at the house had me sucked in completely. I'm so glad it came out too. They couldn't just leave that storyline hanging after introducing it in Season 1. I also think there's a very good chance for him and Katrine now - she knows why he acts the way he does at last. I must admit though that I misunderstood his rant at Svend Åge - for most of the episode I thought he might be one of the father's "poker friends". Only the VHS tape cleared that up for me. :o

As for Birgitte, I think the driving force in the bathroom scene for her was pure shame. Her career forced Laura to assume too much responsibility, she caused the personal crisis and she hates herself for having to give her kid "happy pills" because of the situation she herself caused. As Amir said, she is not the same person she was when she won the election!

And poor Amir. I'll be sad to see the back of him :(

Philip... I don't know. He was quite the prick to pull the jealousy card out in a discussion over anti-depressants. Cecile seems nice though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I am not ashamed to say I had a sniffle during Episode 6 - the opening scene with Kaspar back at the house had me sucked in completely. I'm so glad it came out too. They couldn't just leave that storyline hanging after introducing it in Season 1. I also think there's a very good chance for him and Katrine now - she knows why he acts the way he does at last. I must admit though that I misunderstood his rant at Svend Åge - for most of the episode I thought he might be one of the father's "poker friends". Only the VHS tape cleared that up for me. :o

I really liked the way they had Kasper tell Katrine. I did wonder what that conversation would be like, I mean how do you go about telling someone that? So I thought they did a really great job with him just giving her the box. And the scene where she came out at the end to him and they didn't even say anything but it was so emotional. A very serious issue but they have written it so well and the actors did an amazing job with it. I can't imagine it'll be plain sailing for them, but it was obviously a massive step for him to tell her.

Also it's good to know why he's now Kasper instead of Kenneth. I kind of thought he just changed it himself because Kasper is a much cooler name, but I'm assuming now it's because of the media coverage of him and his time in juvie.

I loved that final scene. It was perfect. What words can you possibly give to that?

I didn't mean that it would be easy for them, but I think they can work. The major factor in their previous breakup was Kaspar's secrecy and lies. It was an enormous leap of faith for him to come clean. They stand a solid chance. I'm sure there'll be plenty of drama to come though :D

After the Season 1 ep, I assumed the name change was him disassociating himself from his horrific childhood. After S2E6 I'd agree that yeah, it was probably because of the media footage.

I just loved the subtlety of it all. So many shows feel the need to have the characters say everything, often in very clunky dialogue and in scenes that are clearly just there for exposition. They didn't actually speak to each other at all and yet he managed to tell her everything and she managed to tell him a lot too. I feel like I'm gushing here but it's just so well done!

I agree the previous factor in their breakup was his lies, or secret keeping. He's made it clear a few times that he was perfectly happy with Katrine and that he didn't want to break up. Of course it was understandable that she would have a problem with the secrets and the lies but of course she couldn't have known that this was what he was keeping from her. Now it's all out in the open the main obstacle is out of the way. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And I *really* don't like Cecile - the "self-justifying perfect second wife" type who sets herself up as the judge of the first wife's competence, to groom her new man's ego. Ugh. A right pair of tulips.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I just loved the subtlety of it all. So many shows feel the need to have the characters say everything, often in very clunky dialogue and in scenes that are clearly just there for exposition. They didn't actually speak to each other at all and yet he managed to tell her everything and she managed to tell him a lot too. I feel like I'm gushing here but it's just so well done!

I agree the previous factor in their breakup was his lies, or secret keeping. He's made it clear a few times that he was perfectly happy with Katrine and that he didn't want to break up. Of course it was understandable that she would have a problem with the secrets and the lies but of course she couldn't have known that this was what he was keeping from her. Now it's all out in the open the main obstacle is out of the way. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If it does work out with Kasper and Katrine they'll certainly have beautiful babies!

They sure would. Pilou Asbaek is a beautiful man :pac:

Actually, good looking people are more likely to have ugly kids. Two ugly people will have cute kids. It's like the genes cancel each other out or something.

My mum actually thinks that little Magnus looks like he could be Kasper's kid. She was wondering if maybe Birgitte and Kasper had been naughty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

My mum actually thinks that little Magnus looks like he could be Kasper's kid. She was wondering if maybe Birgitte and Kasper had been naughty :D

Ohhhh good twist, your mother is good! Nobody would see that coming!

Actually, good looking people are more likely to have ugly kids. Two ugly people will have cute kids. It's like the genes cancel each other out or something.

So unfortunate for all those ugly kids of Hollywood stars ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I've heard great things about this show, I haven't read the full thread as I didn't want any spoilers.

I like to start shows from Season 1, ep 1 so can anyone let me know if/when this will be shown again? I've had a look at UPC's guide and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for derailing the thread!)

The internet is a great and wonderful thing. Just google Borgen Season 1 episode 1 and you should find something (I just watched the last 4 eps of season 2 with subtitles so they're out there!).

The internet is a great and wonderful thing. Just google Borgen Season 1 episode 1 and you should find something (I just watched the last 4 eps of season 2 with subtitles so they're out there!).

Thanks for the quick response. Normally I would do this, but I got my fingers burnt recently - The "garda" virus popped up twice for me when I went on a certain site. Never had the problem before, and it could well be something else but I'd prefer to watch on BBC if possible!

Well BBC4 aired season 1 this time last year. I don't think they'll be showing it again any time soon (or, indeed, ever).

When I was last in my local library (Dublin city libraries), they were returning a copy of the DVD(s?) of Borgen 1, which they'd got on Interloan for a member; they didn't have it but South Dublin did. So you can reserve it and they'll have it for you. I'm sure they'll be buying Borgen 2 when it comes out on DVD next month too.

When I was last in my local library (Dublin city libraries), they were returning a copy of the DVD(s?) of Borgen 1, which they'd got on Interloan for a member; they didn't have it but South Dublin did. So you can reserve it and they'll have it for you. I'm sure they'll be buying Borgen 2 when it comes out on DVD next month too.

Many thanks for this, I've asked to be added to the waiting list for this.

The libraries are coming back into their own after years of neglect - as they should; they're wonderful. They often buy books on my request, if they haven't heard of them; the last one they bought was a graphic novel (or rather graphic biography) about the Carter Family, with a CD tucked in with previously unreleased tracks. They've also bought great historical books and some fabulous novels that you wouldn't get in the shops. And I currently have a request in for a Danish film on DVD, In a Better World http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Better_World (if you want to request it too, it might have a stronger chance of being purchased).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just catching up on 2.05 and 2.06 now - watched them a few days apart, which is not good as it means I forget a lot. Poor Greens, gasguzzling Cadillac. :pac: Not a chance Katrine was going to be a media advisor. Why is that Pernille or whatever her name is only crops to demand more ministries? :mad:

I felt pretty sorry for Laura, really. It was coming down the tracks for a while, and was bound to come to a head when her mother was not picking up on the seriousness of the situation. Would have like them to explore the psychiatry angle a bit more, but I suppose we've seen enough of that in The Sopranos. Adios, callous secretary, hi Sanne! :cool:

Bloody hell, 6 was a very firey ep. :eek: Svend is a loon, and a troll, but good scene when Birgitte had to share biscuits with him. Oh, and I like the display screen they have for voting, nice! Kasper, man, the horrible flashbacks again, his self-destruction... :( Glad he told Katrine, though.

Kudos to the libraries, that's great to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Nice contrast between Birgitte saving the world in her office while her family crumbles at home. Kasper is becoming a bit too open with Katrine, becoming a bit too soppy. Not as powerful as last week, but effective all the same. Highlights how Birgitte's pursuit of her legacy has become more important than her family.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bent's back, cupla focail as Bearla!
    Wtf was up with Chrone's tan - did he dunk his head in a bucket of Ronseal? Pretending Birgitte was in France was stupid - Kasper's much smarter than that, come on.

Birgitte should have asked the South Kahrun tool when he was going to come out of the closet. :pac:

Pretty hefty relapse for Laura. Minimal portrayal of the psych hospital was good, no lunatic screaming from other patients - also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

By some distance the weakest double bill of Borgen thus far.Yip Katrine is going to have to start acting more like a girlfriend,rather than using this status to extract information out of Kasper who indeed needs to start to grow a pair again!Hanne tried to explain the dynamics of a normal relationship to Katrine,never thought I'd think Katrine is more selfish than Kasper the spin doctor.How on earth did he not notice the missing documents?
    This whole Kharun crisis appears to mirror that of Sudan with sectarian/oil themes?Looks all set up for a reunion of Birgitte and Philip...LOL re the possibility some poster mentioning Kasper as the possible Daddy of Magnus.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Birgitte should have asked the South Kahrun tool when he was going to come out of the closet. :pac:

Nice:D

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yip Katrine is going to have to start acting more like a girlfriend,rather than using this status to extract information out of Kasper who indeed needs to start to grow a pair again!Hanne tried to explain the dynamics of a normal relationship to Katrine,never thought I'd think Katrine is more selfish than Kasper the spin doctor.How on earth did he not notice the missing documents?

I know she's a journalist and is committed to the truth and all that but I wanted to punch her last night. She's gone on and on at Kasper about being honest with her, he finally tells her his massive secret and then she goes behind his back to steal his stuff. Why it didn't occur to her that Nyborg might be in Africa trying to do something good, and there might be a valid reason why they were keeping it secret, I don't know.
    When a boozy old lady with no family left and no friends is giving you life advice and judging you for it you should know you've made some mistakes.

I think it was just a lazy moment from the show's writers. It was kinda a silly callback to the first episode of the show where Kasper 'discovered' the document about Hesselboe's expenses. Katrine was due her turn.

Maybe, but where she was trying to justify it to Hanneh (?) with "he's lying to me" was too much. He's just after spilling his deepest darkest secret to you and you're annoyed that he's keeping top secret government information from you?

• Advertisement

There are no homosexuals in South Kahrun. :D:D

Yeah I think the writers messed up by having Katrine look at the papers. It's not her character at all.

Yeah I think the writers messed up by having Katrine look at the papers. It's not her character at all.

I think it's very much in her character. Kasper even asked her a few times if it was his girlfriend or the journalist he was talking to. My only problem with it was that she was demanding this massive thing from Kasper for their relationship to work but didn't seem to have to change anything herself. Even when they got the info about the oil she had to have it shoved in her face that there were consequences to her actions before she made the right decision.

TICKLE_ME_ELMO for Statsminister. :pac:

Such a cool word. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I couldn't help but think how ironic that was when he was sitting in the same room as "Bent".

This biz of an African state, north vs south, and Denmark intervening diplomatically in the possible war, and industrial interests doing the dirty - wasn't that in the last season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Has anyone a link to somewhere I could watch the first episodes of season 2? I can't seem to find them it anywhere. I just finished season 1 and i'm hooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Has anyone a link to somewhere I could watch the first episodes of season 2? I can't seem to find them it anywhere. I just finished season 1 and i'm hooked!

It's being released on DVD on February 4th: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Borgen-Series-Sidse-Babett-Knudsen/dp/B00842AJ4S/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0 for £17.99, if you don't want to go the torrent/download route.

Personally I reckon €2 an episode for this quality of drama is well worth it, will definitely buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just started watching borgen ep 1 and 2, how long as brigitte been an member of parliament, and how does smaller party leader become PM?

need a borgen wikia or something

why is the labour party (leader so anti-immgrant etc) have labour party held power so long they've becomne the fianna fail of denmark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

It's being released on DVD on February 4th: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Borgen-Series-Sidse-Babett-Knudsen/dp/B00842AJ4S/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0 for £17.99, if you don't want to go the torrent/download route.

Personally I reckon €2 an episode for this quality of drama is well worth it, will definitely buy.

Thanks for the tip. I was shopping last night and they have season 2 out early in golden discs. I bought the season 1 and 2 boxset together for 55 euro. It's prob cheaper on amazon but I didn't want to wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Inspirational two episodes. Ridiculously good acting from all.
    The speech at the end sounded so real and emotional. I'd vote for her

2.09 and 2.10.

Good speech, could have done without the attached music, though.

9 was such a horrible episode
    for Laura and the family. :( I guess they needed some lightness in there hence Kasper being on crutches. Still think Laura could slip backwards again - the scenes between her and Kasper were good. And also how Laura's psychiatrist unpacked the nature of her anxiety. Sensible move by Birgitte to take leave, and there was a nice little scene there when she go into the lift - personally and professionally alone after the press conference. No advisors running after her.

I'm entirely sure I buy that TV1 feels obliged to respond or set something up every time Laugesen puts out a video tape...

Don't know if Kasper/Katrine will work out. I don't know that I care all that much for Birgitte and Philipe getting back together, sorta.

Roll on the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

just started watching borgen ep 1 and 2, how long as brigitte been an member of parliament, and how does smaller party leader become PM?

Bent pointed out to her that instead of playing King maker, why not be the King.....

Ep 10 was a tour de force - incredibly strong ending to the series 2 - 2014 before Series 3 is shown on BBC4/HD if reports are correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Can we not petition/convince TG4 to buy it and screen it before then? :cool:

Infoanon wrote: »
    Bent pointed out to her that instead of playing King maker, why not be the King.....

yes but how does leader of smaller party become pm?

yes but how does leader of smaller party become pm?

If I remember correctly it was a case of whichever party leader could get a coalition together first and get approval from the Queen to form the government. She managed to sweet talk Labour and the Greens into her deal and she got to be PM, they got various different ministries and promises on policies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah great ending,can't wait for Birgitte to tackle Hesselboe in another GE campaign.Laugesen will probably lead the media charge against her,only a matter of time before Birgitte is playing happy family's with Philip again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Very enjoyable series, now that it is ended maybe we get her to come over here and run our country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Really strong final episode - loved that speech at the end. I almost clapped. Roll on season 3.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

They did a great job with Laura's storyline, really handled it very well. Very good end to the series. Hope we get to see the election next year, rather than it start the season with a new government in place.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    They did a great job with Laura's storyline, really handled it very well. Very good end to the series. Hope we get to see the election next year, rather than it start the season with a new government in place.

I didn't think I was that bothered about Laura, but that episode with her in the hospital and the press hounding her was really upsetting to watch. Really well done in all aspects, I especially like how many times it managed to make me feel something without ever feeling emotionally manipulative.

If I remember correctly it was a case of whichever party leader could get a coalition together first and get approval from the Queen to form the government. She managed to sweet talk Labour and the Greens into her deal and she got to be PM, they got various different ministries and promises on policies etc.

okay its always about what coalition can be put together but still the larger party gets premiership? no, i wonder does that happen in reality in denmark

okay its always about what coalition can be put together but still the larger party gets premiership, i wonder does that happen in reality in denmark

I don't know if that's how it really works but that's how they explained it on the show. It didn't matter that her party was one of the smaller in the coalition because the leaders of the bigger parties couldn't get anyone to back their deals with them as PM. She made enough concessions on policy and ministries that Labour were willing to take her deal with her as PM and their leader as deputy.

I'd assume it doesn't happen in real life even if it's possible as a bigger party is never going to concede PM to a smaller party. The bigger party usually coerces a small party into doing their bidding.

i can't believe lindekrone didn't resign after the tape was leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

I don't remember much about the very start of S1 except there was a quite funny bit about the Ministry of International Development, very much being seen as a lesser one, but how she made the Greens seem delighted to get it as an extra Ministry in order to keep them on board and get them to also go in with Labour.

• Advertisement

now at the end of s1
    im confused as to how she fires the finance minister because of polls, that don't matter till theres an actual election, (depite having previously pointed about labour are the bigger party)

Advertisement