Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don´t they give toys with Breakfast cereal anymore??

• 08-01-2012 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Seriously. I think a petition should be organised threatening a boycott of cereals unless the free gifts are reinstated. The memories of tearing open the box and searching with grubby hands for a cornflakes airfix plane, star wars figurine etc
    Even a token based system back would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Americans would eat the toys and then sue people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Seriously. I think a petition should be organised threatening a boycott of cereals unless the free gifts are reinstated. The memories of tearing open the box and searching with grubby hands for a cornflakes airfix plane, star wars figurine etc

If you had more than one child it became apparent who your favourite was ... they always got the toy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

deelite wrote: »
    If you had more than one child it became apparent who your favourite was ... they always got the toy:D

But the parents didn´t decide. It was a case of survival of the fittest, or the fastest. I remember ending up wrestling on the floor with my brother for a baking powder submarine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That simpsons episode struck fear into the hearts of the breakfast cereal industry

Plus parents were complaining about kids spilling cereal everywhere as kids doing the old hand dip into the tilted newly opened box just to then exclaim , "awww, i have that one.....ma, the baby spilled stuff on the floor! "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Awhhh, this memory brings me back. My life absolutely depended on getting that toy in the cereal box! Not sure how I survived because I was the youngest of 7 so rarely got a look in....until I discovered the 'I'm the youngest I want my way' card :D

• Advertisement

It's illegal now, isn't it? Puts a want on the child for unhealthy cereals or something, seen as an 'underhanded' tactic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I got a big lol out of this. It's so true:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

things the yanks do
    1. Eat
    2. Sue
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I used to love the reflectors you used to get with cornflakes. there was always a fight over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Its one of the best questions ever asked....

I remembers getting toys in cocopops but what they were ?

I can't tell you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Santa brought my sister a bike one time. and i knew he gave out second hand goods because a tony the tiger reflector was riveted to the back mudguard.

my brothers and I spent forever collecting for the old formula 1 cars from cornflakes one time. We just had enough money for the postage of two cars. Twas towards the end of the promotion and next thing all the cars and the cardboard stadium arrived. I don't know did my parents sneak in some cash or was it kelloggs being really generous, but at the time in my eyes kelloggs could do no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Undercover FBI Agent

We are lucky to be getting cereal in our cereal these days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

LOL...!!

Id say it also costs alot aswel..! !They want to make more €€€

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

things the yanks do
    1. Eat
    2. Sue
    :D

Things paddys do.
    1. Eat potatoes
    2. Sue

The Irish are getting more and more litigious. And fatter too actually. And louder! I can see where this is all going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Ah the times when you would choose your cereal based soley on the toy inside. Didnt matter if the cereal tasted like crap or not. If it had the best toy in it you got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

MarkR wrote: »
    Things paddys do.
    1. Eat potatoes
    2. Sue

The Irish are getting more and more litigious. And fatter too actually. And louder! I can see where this is all going.

At least we are not racist now get back to america - yank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That bit in bold is a reason not to have it.

It was a major H&S pain in B&Bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Additional production cost equates to loss in profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The whole thing peaked with the Kellog's reflectors for your bike.

You weren't **** unless you had more reflectors than bike.

It's been all down hill since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They should stick them to the carton instead of in the cereal.

No excuses the mean bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

The first ones I remember were the E.T. hologram/glow-in-the-dark stickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone remember the Weetabix ones? I still have two of them. A book with a map of Ireland telling which county produces which product(sugar cane and stuff) and a yellow transformer shaped like a F1 car. Had to send off for them thou :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I hated the sendie offies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

RichieC wrote: »

They'd be ripped off though. Put the toy in a box outside the packaging. Get rid of half the cereal or all the cereal and just have a bag of toys.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

At least we are not racist now get back to america - yank.

I'm not racist. I can't speak for 300 million people however. Might be a couple there.

So... What makes you say I'm a racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I hated the sendie offies..

They were more hassle, but you got some cool sh*t!

I remember I had two bad ass monster truck toys that were send offs from rice krispies or something. They were awesome! Proper metal body and rubber wheels. Savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Do you really think I wouldn't bust open every carton in the store for those toys, cos I would. I'm serious, if they are stuck to the inside of the carton I'm opening them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

yo used to sometimes get troll pencil toppers in wheeto's
    ah crap I wish I was 6 again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jet Black wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Weetabix ones? I still have two of them. A book with a map of Ireland telling which county produces which product(sugar cane and stuff) and a yellow transformer shaped like a F1 car. Had to send off for them thou :-(

Had the Weetabix yellow truck for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Used to live in a small village where you would not get the toys if you bought your cereal in the local shop. In the days when the toys were put between the box and the bag rather than mixed in with the cereal, the shop owner's kids would slit open the bottom of the boxes to thieve the toys, then stick them together again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

they still have them in americas cereals-have had quite a few boxes of imported lucky charms over the years and most of the time they have had toys in,seemed to be utter crap in quality though compared to what we had years ago.

Advertisement