Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck shooting on the Shannon.

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Well lads I'm thinking of going shooting on the Shannon some time this week. I have my foreshore licence, decoys and a boat. Id be letting the boat off in Banagher. I know its strictly no shooting around Clonmacnoise or from the boat. Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Am I missing anything?

Lifejacket :p

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Is your foreshore licence for the Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Gonzor wrote: »
    Lifejacket :p

Im a good swimmer.;)

Hunter21 wrote: »
    Is your foreshore licence for the Shannon?

Schedule says Lough Corrib/Derravaragh/Ennel/Ree. What this means I cant shoot on the Shannon is what your saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Schedule says Lough Corrib/Derravaragh/Ennel/Ree. What this means I cant shoot on the Shannon is what your saying?

Shannon is open to all no foreshore required.
    Them Banagher boys are very territorial though.

The splashes near the shannon are better, but you need the local boys permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Tackleberrywho just covered what you need to know, I'd trust his word as he knows his stuff and that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Im a good swimmer.;)

Still need one.. simple reason,try getting out of your duck hunting kit while dunked in freezing water.You have suddenly aquired about an extra 30/40 kgs of water soaked clothes gear wellies/waders.And unless you can kick out of that deadweight really quick.You are a gonner.

Second, hypothermia will do for you quickly in the water.Est you got about a half hour to get out and dry at this years time.Last thing you want to be doing is wasting precious strength trying to stay afloat while holding onto your boat or trying to right it.[Stay with the ship,until the ship leaves you.]
    Lads,as a former rescue swimmer our lakes ans fore shores are no place to be fukactin,least of all on boats!
    Nothing "macho" or whatever about not wearing a lifejacket.The things nowadays are so well made you wouldnt know you are wearing one.Forget big bulky Board of Trade yellow yokes.They went the way of the Titanic.

And last of all Its the LAW!
    Stay safe!
    Grizz

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

couldnt agree more grizzly, i dont even go onto the slip without one since i slipped on our local one and went over the side into the water. funny now i look back at it but if i'd hit my head i would have been a gonner and no one around as it was winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I see that the whole life jacket thing was said with a sence of honest humour but Griz is bang on, I shoot the lower Shannon and just happen to be in the local Search & Rescue and as a exercise one day we got dropped off in drysuits into the Shannon Estary, I tell you you'd want to be fit as you would be parted from your boat very quicky if you fell in, a lifejacket is a must have.
    Also using of the deadman cord on the boat engine is a must also, imagine you fell in and you never used the deadman, your boat is now traveling at speed away from you.. just a taught for those who may shoot alone from time to time, give yourself every chance.

Yea thanks for all the info about the life jacket.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I see that the whole life jacket thing was said with a sence of honest humour but Griz is bang on, I shoot the lower Shannon and just happen to be in the local Search & Rescue and as a exercise one day we got dropped off in drysuits into the Shannon Estary, I tell you you'd want to be fit as you would be parted from your boat very quicky if you fell in, a lifejacket is a must have.
    Also using of the deadman cord on the boat engine is a must also, imagine you fell in and you never used the deadman, your boat is now traveling at speed away from you.. just a taught for those who may shoot alone from time to time, give yourself every chance.

+1.

If you fall out of your boat without a deadman most boats will turn to one side and come back around and try to run you over. Alot of boats are almost impossible to climb back into aswell. On a windy day the boat may even drift faster than you can swim.

Back on topic please lads, would 6 duck decoys be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Well you did ask if you where missing anything??
    Safety is key to a good day on the river.
    I shoot with 6 decoys, 4 teal together and 2 Mallard off to the side, reckon your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

More decoys wouldn't hurt, you can always choose to use them or not. Also a good retrieving dog is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 biffo.

Well lads I'm thinking of going shooting on the Shannon some time this week. I have my foreshore licence, decoys and a boat. Id be letting the boat off in Banagher. I know its strictly no shooting around Clonmacnoise or from the boat. Am I missing anything?

Any luck after??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

His last post was 5 years ago.

I hope he got the life jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GADWALL

Or maybe he didn't and slipped O B ! .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 biffo.

Chiparus wrote: »
    His last post was 5 years ago.

I hope he got the life jacket.

Haha, quality!

Advertisement