Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Mayweather just posted a quick video of himself in the gym, serious upper body strength. He keeps himself in such good shape between fights. One of the reasons he's been fighting at such a high level for so long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Long Live The King

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

sorry, who is the king...??

sorry, who is the king...??

Floyd-Mayweather-believes-Manny-Pacquiao-desperately-needs-to-fight-him-Boxing-News-148126.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I wouldn't say he was rusty, he looked better than I've seen him in at least the last two years. He was two points ahead in my eyes before the KO. His defence was never good.

He was winning the fight no prob, but the 2 times he left himself open he was caught, the second of which sent him to bed.

Mayweather is sharper than Marquez, and I do think that if Manny is beginning to show these kinks in his armor, then Mayweather will see it as a prime opportunity to settle the debate.

The King is back at work boys.

someone is in trouble.

All that cash and still trains like he hasn't got a cent. #Boss

The haters can finally unwrap their gums from around Pacquaio's plums, there is only room atop the podium for one.

also nice to read the kind words he had for his rival.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13717.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

According to 50 Cent Mayweather is locked into a fight - earn the money - spend the money - fight again cycle so he may need to fight again out of financial necessity. He'll probably retire broke and then live off his name like Tyson. Very few boxers possess the acumen to save their money and invest. Lennox Lewis is a notable example.

I wouldn't agree with that, he is training like any other pro athlete, hard. You don't need fancy dumbbells or that to train to a high level.

He should probably buy a new video camera with all the cash he's got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

According to 50 Cent Mayweather is locked into a fight - earn the money - spend the money - fight again cycle so he may need to fight again out of financial necessity. He'll probably retire broke and then live off his name like Tyson. Very few boxers possess the acumen to save their money and invest. Lennox Lewis is a notable example.
    u would be very foolish to believe everything 50 says
    talks bullsh1t most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Problem for Floyd is that after 16 years in his professional career, the guy has no investments. He has no endorsements, and gambling aside, no apparent income outside of fighting.

We've seen this movie before and it seems almost certain he's going to go broke. Sure around the time of his tax trouble it came out that he didn't even have an accountant.

I'm not sure if Tyson is an apt comparison for him. Tyson was an iconic figure on a level very few sports people have ever achieved in modern history. He was a monstrous heavyweight who was sensational to watch. Floyd ain't that unfortunately.

I think that for all the talk of retirement, we're going to be seeing Floyd for a long time yet. Hopefully it won't get to RJJ level where there's talk of him fighting someone like Kimbo Slice. That sh*t is just sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Although Floyd seems reckless and a big spender I also happen to think that he's quite clever and shrewd. I can't see him being left fighting to earn a living.

walshb wrote: »
    Although Floyd seems reckless and a big spender I also happen to think that he's quite clever and shrewd. I can't see him being left fighting to earn a living.

I always thought that as well, this article sheds a bit more light on it though.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas-hauser/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-floyd-mayweather-jr

It mentions a few numbers and stuff in there, and how much he has lost and potentially earned as well.

He is a huge gambler, and he hasn't out his name to anything at all really. Although in saying that, he has clearly earned a fortune and if it were to come to him actually being broke, I would be astonished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Pacquiao and Mayweather really would be a silly match, Manny would look awful, look how amateur Mayweather made Marquez look and Manny is so easy to hit with the right hand, Floyd's favourite punch, I've always known/believed it would not be competitive and this fight just further confirmed this for me.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I always thought that as well, this article sheds a bit more light on it though.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas-hauser/the-myth-and-the-reality-of-floyd-mayweather-jr

Thanks, I enjoyed that article.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Pacquiao and Mayweather really would be a silly match, Manny would look awful, look how amateur Mayweather made Marquez look and Manny is so easy to hit with the right hand, Floyd's favourite punch, I've always known/believed it would not be competitive and this fight just further confirmed this for me.

Styles.Make.Fights.

It's not that simple. Marquez was tailor made for Mayweather.

I do think that the fight is more likely to happen now more than ever. Mainly on the basis that Mayweather needs a fight to keep up with his silly spending and highlife.

Manny is probably thinking about the end of his career realistically, he has his politics and other stuff to look after now, boxing isn't his life 100% anymore so it would be easier for him to walk away from it rather than Mayweather.

The difference between the 2 is really something if you look at it. One is loved and adored in his country and now has a vested interest in his countries future, all very noble. The other is Mayweather, obsessed with money and wealth and comes from a less than desirable background which he still surrounds himself in.

Mayweather is the better fighter in my opinion, although they can both be boring at the best of times and pick soft matches. Realistically this fight should have happened in 2009.

Styles.Make.Fights.

Mayweather also weighed in heavier and just paid extra to not have to cut weight, so Marquez was fighting a heavier opponent.

Mayweather also weighed in heavier and just paid extra to not have to cut weight, so Marquez was fighting a heavier opponent.

I think Floyd was 2 lbs above the contract weight. Anyway, even if Floyd came in at 140 that night his style is all wrong for Juan. Nobody beats Mayweather on the outside unless they have the speed and physical advantages. A Hearns or Leonard or Vernon Forrest kind of boxer.

I do think that the fight is more likely to happen now more than ever. Mainly on the basis that Mayweather needs a fight to keep up with his silly spending and highlife.

Manny is probably thinking about the end of his career realistically, he has his politics and other stuff to look after now, boxing isn't his life 100% anymore so it would be easier for him to walk away from it rather than Mayweather.

The difference between the 2 is really something if you look at it. One is loved and adored in his country and now has a vested interest in his countries future, all very noble. The other is Mayweather, obsessed with money and wealth and comes from a less than desirable background which he still surrounds himself in.

Mayweather is the better fighter in my opinion, although they can both be boring at the best of times and pick soft matches. Realistically this fight should have happened in 2009.

This fight will never happen because Floyd will never work with Bob. Simple as. Bob still owes floyd money for two fights. The fight should have happened in March 2010, but Pacquaio refused the random blood and urine (in spite of him having tattoos). Realistically, the fight has never looked like happening since, except maybe in february 2012 when Floyd rung pac to try and get it signed.

Floyd would make Manny look silly. He's different class.

It's looking like the alvarez fight in May. Floyd is apparently sparring with middleweights already.

Secondly, Marquez set the limit for this fight at 144. Floyd told him that if he made the fight at 144, that he would come in at 146. Marquez wanted a catchweight, Floyd told him from the getgo that it wasn't happening. Marquez knew it was coming.

Also, Floyd has said Floyd sr will most likely be his trainer next year, Roger is too sick. There is a lot of talk that Roger has slowed down a lot, apparently quite evident in the sparring video Floyd streamed in April when he had to tell Roger to keep up a couple of times. (Roger is type 2 diabetic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Styles.Make.Fights.

Styles do make fights but Mayweather is only a marginally better opponent for Pacquiao than he is for Marquez.

The problem for Marquez is that he's all at sea when he's the one who has to take the lead, and against as sharp a counter-puncher as Mayweather that problem is magnified.

The problem for Pacquiao is that he is very poor at closing the distance against a guy who's trying to maintain it. He just doesn't know how to do it. I think the Bradley fight really proved it for once and for all. Bradley sought to control the distance and force Pacquiao to lunge and overextend himself as he had done against Marquez the previous November. And that's exactly what happened. While Manny has very quick feet, it's not quite the same thing as having good footwork.

That weakness would kill him against Mayweather in my opinion. Cotto's success against Mayweather was built on his vastly improved footwork under Pedro Diaz.

The only template for winning rounds of Mayweather that is available, is limiting the number of serious exchanges in the round, and making sure that when they do happen, they happen in a part of the ring from which Mayweather cannot escape. In the rounds that he won, Cotto cornered Mayweather, forced him into a shoulder to shoulder shoving match, and pushed him back onto the ropes.

When he got him there, he didn't let the punches go like a madman. He lowered his centre of gravity, and went up and down Mayweather's body with carefully executed combinations. Not flaking away on his arms and tiring himself out like most people do. When he was done, he used his feet to exit quickly and safely to a secure distance before he reset. Again, a classic mistake against Mayweather is staying inside too long, even when you have him on the ropes. Time after time he nails guys with uppercuts in that scenario and lands a left hook as they, too late, try to move away.

The other side to is that you have to have an excellent defence in the middle of the ring, for those periods of the round that you have to spend there. That's where I see the trouble for someone like Canelo. I think he can do a lot of the necessary tasks quite well. He's certainly physically strong enough to put Mayweather where he wants him to be, and he's a good combination puncher with legit power.

But his guard is leaky. And against Mayweather that means that he steals the round with his speed and amazing accuracy in the middle of the ring, just by firing single shots through his opponent's gloves.

The other thing about Canelo is that he really hasn't been in the pressure cooker. Castillo and Cotto had, they fought composed, intelligent fights that focused on fighting Mayweather only on ground where he was uncomfortable. Cotto ran out of steam after 8 rounds, which is another concern for Canelo. Castillo didn't and finished the job but that's another matter.

I don't know if Canelo would have the composure to stay the course, and not fall back on the aggression that has served him so well in his thus far inglorious career of beating retirees and tomato cans. I fear he might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

All good points above . Although i clearly thought Mayweather won the Cotto fight than a wider margin than some people believe. The best fight out there at the moment is Mayweather v Canelo . Canelo has most of the attributes to trouble Mayweather but will more than likely just be too easy to hit . The fight will sell and is easy to make . Just wondering if the Marquez KO if stalling it being announced.

This article seems to think Mayweather will fight twice next year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1434661-floyd-mayweather-robert-guerrero-and-saul-alvarez-to-hit-2013-money-lottery

Mayweather vs. Guerrero and Alvarez it is so, providing Alvarez beats Cotto in their expected fight. Alvarez is a bit untested really, so a Mayweather fight might be a bit premature.

Also, Mayweather fighting twice in once year, he must be getting on cash.

Amazing that he has been p4p top 10 since 1998,he has seen them come and go yet he remains undefeated and on top once again p4p #1 at the age of 35 soon to be 36,He is 43-0 a 8 time champ(should be 9 just didnt pay for shanes belt)in 5 divisions no other fighter in the history of this sport has won 8 titles in 5 divisions and remained undefeated,over half of his fights have been title fights.Manny had a stint on top and all the hype,yet Floyd just kept defeating current champions coming off of big wins,no smoke and mirror act,no catch weight titles. Now it appears he will fight 2 more current champions in 2013 at the age of 36 and if he defeats them both he can retire 45-0 with possible 9(should be 10)world titles and maybe even possibly add 1 more lineal title to his resume,this guy is hated so much on here because of his perfection,this guy is a boxing god

,this guy is a boxing god

Agreed, He'll be finished when lot's realise this.

If Floyd meets Canelo at 154 lbs he deserves a lot of credit. If he beats him he desereves even more. Can he beat him? Yes. Will he meet him? I don't think he will want to take that risk.

If Floyd meets Canelo at 154 lbs he deserves a lot of credit. If he beats him he desereves even more. Can he beat him? Yes. Will he meet him? I don't think he will want to take that risk.

If they fight, that is 1 risky and tough fight, Canelo has a great chin and great power and combinations, I do believe Floyd would have to move more like sugar ray in that fight and not stand there blocking, Floyd will find a way though and his speed would be the difference in the fight.

cowzerp wrote: »
    If they fight, that is 1 risky and tough fight, Canelo has a great chin and great power and combinations, I do believe Floyd would have to move more like sugar ray in that fight and not stand there blocking, Floyd will find a way though and his speed would be the difference in the fight.

It presenets an excellent match up stylistically. Floyd would IMO be meeting his best foe for for several years. Bigger, younger, heavier handed, most likely physically stronger. Would love to see Floyd meet and beat him.

Canelo would be 160 + on fight night. That may help him against anyone but Floyd?

It presenets an excellent match up stylistically. Floyd would IMO be meeting his best foe for for several years. Bigger, younger, heavier handed, most likely physically stronger. Would love to see Floyd meet and beat him.

Canelo would be 160 + on fight night. That may help him against anyone but Floyd?

It would be a huge fight , huge occasion and would sell a huge amount of ppv's . However if Mayweather wins they will say Canelo was too inexperienced. Like they say things about everyone he beatsHatton - Was only a LWWMosely - Too oldDe Le Hoya - Too old ( even though he was 2 years younger than Mayweather will be in May )Cotto - FinishedEtc , its an endless cycle .

TheNap wrote: »
    It would be a huge fight , huge occasion and would sell a huge amount of ppv's . However if Mayweather wins they will say Canelo was too inexperienced. Like they say things about everyone he beatsHatton - Was only a LWWMosely - Too oldDe Le Hoya - Too old ( even though he was 2 years younger than Mayweather will be in May )Cotto - FinishedEtc , its an endless cycle .

No. I don't see real knowledgeable and impartial fans making excuses for this potential fight and win. Mosley was well past it; JMM was never a threat; Hatton seemed like a threat. Oscar too was past his best. Those bouts were always going to attract criticism. Canelo is the best 154 lber in the world.

• Advertisement

No. I don't see real knowledgeable and impartial fans making excuses for this potential fight and win. Mosley was well past it; JMM was never a threat; Hatton seemed like a threat. Oscar too was past his best. Those bouts were always going to attract criticism. Canelo is the best 154 lber in the world.

Who has he beaten to be the best light middleweight in the world ? A 40 year old WW in Mosley ? Lopez ?

Who has he beaten to be the best light middleweight in the world ? A 40 year old WW in Mosley ? Lopez ?

Ok, who's better?

Looks like you're the first one the one making excuses already.

I'd give Mayweather huge credit if he beat Canelo at 154. It would be his best victory (in light of his age etc)

Mayweather hasn't had a fight since 2001 (Corrales) in which he was anywhere near being the underdog. JMM was never a threat and inflated, Hatton - overrated and inflated, Mosley - years past his best. De La Hoya was past his best too but at least Mayweather fought him at 154 and he wasn't as over the hill as Mosley. Cotto was finished since the Pacquiao fight. Horrible to say but Pacquiao ruined him. Brutal beating. De La Hoya is Floyd's best win IMO.

Give Mayweather's age and Canelo's meteoric rise, a win at 154 would crown Mayweather. Unfortunately the fight won't happen. Floyd is too scared to fight Canelo at 154, nor would I expect him to. Canelo is big even for 154 and it wouldn't surprise me if he moved to 160 soonish. He'll probably end up as a light heavy!

Not that I think Canelo is the next P4P king or anything, he's just big, strong and puts punches together well. Mayweather is very old for a man relying on speed, and a much smaller man than Alvarez. My money would be on Canelo. Floyd would be foolish to fight him. It would be a bit like Sergio Martinez taking on Andre Ward.

Ok, who's better?

IMO nobody at the moment . Im just saying if Mayweather beat him critics will just say Alvarez was too inexperienced and hasnt fought anybody of note yet.

IMO nobody at the moment . Im just saying if Mayweather beat him critics will just say Alvarez was too inexperienced and hasnt fought anybody of note yet.

Yes, you being one of those critcis, no?

Yes, you being one of those critcis, no?

No . I think at his age and coming from a stint in jail it would be HUGE win for him. Especially if Canelo goes on to dominate a division in the future

No . I think at his age and coming from a stint in jail it would be HUGE win for him. Especially if Canelo goes on to dominate a division in the future

So, like I said, impartial fans I don't think will criticise Floyd in taking the fight.

So, like I said, impartial fans I don't think will criticise Floyd in taking the fight.

I never said impartial fans would criticise. I dont know whats holding the fight up though . It makes much more sense to fight Canelo in May . Canelo is with GBP. Easy to make . Fight should of been made by now

I never said impartial fans would criticise. I dont know whats holding the fight up though . It makes much more sense to fight Canelo in May . Canelo is with GBP. Easy to make . Fight should of been made by now

Yes, but I initially posted about knowledgeable and impartial fans. You then replied about experience etc. The fight I don't think will be made. Guerrero is almost a shoe in for May I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Only thing preventing this is the riskiness for Floyd. Floyd knows PPV would be huge. Canelo wants Mayweather and they're both with Goldenboy. I'd bet right now Floyd is still in two minds, the money is so tempting but he knows it's a big risk.

Floyd will easily pick canelo apart.
    He'll box him on the outside all night.

Canelo is good, but not great. See why they're keeping him away from Trout and Martinez.

Floyd takes this one easy. Canelo won't put gloves on the King.

A lot of people on here don't realise how good Floyd is.

He trains like an absolute animal. He's 35 but in terms of boxing damage accumulation he's like a fresh faced pup. He hasn't been in the brutal wars, or taken the heavy hits like Pac. These two things are why he is still the best.

I think the fight with Canelo burns a fire under Floyd. He seems to thrive on facing those young hungry wolves. Expect a beast performance from him versus Canelo. It's a massive PPV, and definitely a more competitive fight than Pacquaio. I'm less inclined to think he fights Guerrero. Floyd would roll back in to bed before training for that one.

We get it, you idolise Floyd!

Floyd will easily pick canelo apart.
    He'll box him on the outside all night.

Canelo is good, but not great. See why they're keeping him away from Trout and Martinez.

Floyd takes this one easy. Canelo won't put gloves on the King.

A lot of people on here don't realise how good Floyd is.

He trains like an absolute animal. He's 35 but in terms of boxing damage accumulation he's like a fresh faced pup. He hasn't been in the brutal wars, or taken the heavy hits like Pac. These two things are why he is still the best.

I think the fight with Canelo burns a fire under Floyd. He seems to thrive on facing those young hungry wolves. Expect a beast performance from him versus Canelo. It's a massive PPV, and definitely a more competitive fight than Pacquaio. I'm less inclined to think he fights Guerrero. Floyd would roll back in to bed before training for that one.

I think plenty of people realize how good he is, there is no debating that. But I think you are borderline pentecostal in your worship of him.

He is a very cautious fighter and he has hand picked his opponents as well, so just saying that he would walk over X,Y and Z, when really he would only fight Y because X and Z aren't to his liking should be taken into account.

Many people won't like or bother with Mayweather because although he is an exceptional fighter, he is not likable in the slightest. So its an almost reluctant credit given to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Any chance Money himself has been among us?

Since, oh I don't know, April 2012?

Hook me up, #bro.

If people suspect re reg or double users report it, saying it on here will get you an infraction as that's back seat modding.

• Advertisement

Interesting Mayweather interview for anybody interested...http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13720.html

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    Interesting Mayweather interview for anybody interested...http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13720.html

Same old Floyd. Very predictable. To read it you would think he was a saint.

Syferus wrote: »
    Any chance Money himself has been among us?

Since, oh I don't know, April 2012?

Hook me up, #bro.

Mate, I've recently been vindicated by the admins and cat mods in dispute resolution forum after accusations of re-regging.

Please keep it on topic like Paul has said, we're all just here to discuss the sport of boxing, let's not get side tracked with these juvenile tit for tat games. I certainly don't have my gums wrapped around his plums like some of you are suggesting however.

On topic, I'm a big Mayweather fan, I don't see how you can't be a fan of undoubtedly the most technically skillful boxer to ever enter the squared circle. He's a genius.

Mate, I've recently been vindicated by the admins and cat mods in dispute resolution forum after accusations of re-regging.

Please keep it on topic like Paul has said, we're all just here to discuss the sport of boxing, let's not get side tracked with these juvenile tit for tat games. I certainly don't have my gums wrapped around his plums like some of you are suggesting however.

On topic, I'm a big Mayweather fan, I don't see how you can't be a fan of undoubtedly the most technically skillful boxer to ever enter the squared circle. He's a genius.

It is very easy to not be a fan, as I have said before, he is not a likable person at all, which will alienate him from quite a few average boxing fans, who would warm towards the like of Manny, Ali, or someone even like Tyson.

Its the same curse that plagues the Kiltschkos, they are astounding boxers like Mayweather, but they can all be seen as boring or not exciting, and to the average joe then that is not good enough.

Perhaps his biggest flaw as to not being regarded as the best etc, is the fact that he is a woman beater, has made stupid racist comments and fails to conduct himself in a responsible manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

It is very easy to not be a fan, as I have said before, he is not a likable person at all, which will alienate him from quite a few average boxing fans, who would warm towards the like of Manny, Ali, or someone even like Tyson.

Its the same curse that plagues the Kiltschkos, they are astounding boxers like Mayweather, but they can all be seen as boring or not exciting, and to the average joe then that is not good enough.

Perhaps his biggest flaw as to not being regarded as the best etc, is the fact that he is a woman beater, has made stupid racist comments and fails to conduct himself in a responsible manner.

The same curse as the Kiltshkos haha do you watch boxing mate? these last 10 years have nearly destroyed the hwd because of the low standard of boxers calling the kiltschkos astounding boxers just made your whole point worthless.. good maybe astounding they are not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement