Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Listening Elective

• 08-01-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Right I'm really confused about this. Basically I want a B1 in music but my practical is too weak and I am much better at writing essays if I'm honest. Knowing that I'll have a week off before my music exam only encourages me more :P

The question is is it too late to take the listening elective? I can start straight after the Mocks and also for my compulsory practical 25% do I do 2 ordinary pieces or the technology option which I've already been practising regularly. Sorry for all the questions but its next to impossible to find any information on this :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

My boyfriend did this last year rather than doing the practical elective. He only started studying the music course altogether in 6th year, so I'd say if you put your mind to it you'd be able to get the listening elective done in time.

For the practical, you have the option of either doing 3 pieces all on one instrument (I don't think technology is included), or 2 pieces on one instrument and 2 pieces on another. As far as I know you can do technology in that latter option, but you'd still have to sing/play two other pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

leaveiton wrote: »
    My boyfriend did this last year rather than doing the practical elective. He only started studying the music course altogether in 6th year, so I'd say if you put your mind to it you'd be able to get the listening elective done in time.

For the practical, you have the option of either doing 3 pieces all on one instrument (I don't think technology is included), or 2 pieces on one instrument and 2 pieces on another. As far as I know you can do technology in that latter option, but you'd still have to sing/play two other pieces.
    I'm not sure where you got that you'd only have to do 3 pieces from, are you talking about an ordinary paper?
    As far as I am aware you have to do (for the higher level paper) 4 pieces on one instrument aswell as music technology. Or else you can do 4 and 4 on two different instruments or you can choose to do 6 instruments on one (without music techology)

Personally if you're not 100% comfortable with doing a complete performing practical I'd go for music technology, less pressure. I haven't really started the technology course but I'm sure you can get Finale on the internet which is a common programme people use for it. Have a play around with it, try to transpose some music and see what you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

leaveiton wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

M&S* wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you got that you'd only have to do 3 pieces from, are you talking about an ordinary paper?
    As far as I am aware you have to do (for the higher level paper) 4 pieces on one instrument aswell as music technology. Or else you can do 4 and 4 on two different instruments or you can choose to do 6 instruments on one (without music techology)

Personally if you're not 100% comfortable with doing a complete performing practical I'd go for music technology, less pressure. I haven't really started the technology course but I'm sure you can get Finale on the internet which is a common programme people use for it. Have a play around with it, try to transpose some music and see what you think of it.

The OP Is considering doing the listening elective instead of the performance elective. Most people do the practical for 50%, and you need to do 6 pieces or 4/4 in that case, but you can also choose to do the practical for 25% and a listening elective for 25%. That's what the OP is asking about, and in the case of the 25% practical you only have to do 3 pieces or 2/2 :)

I'm not entirely sure of the exact title/topic, something to do with early jazz music I think :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spouch

The listening elective is doable but to be sure you're on the right track you're best getting the advice of a teacher as you do it and many don't have experience of that part of the course cos it's not chosen by many.

You have to do a performance anyway so why not do music tech - b far the easiest exam ever to exist.

Good overview here

• Advertisement
Advertisement