Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I keep mobile internet switched on all the time

Options
  • 08-01-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Got a new Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray about a month ago from 3. Out of the blue it stopped connecting to 3 internet but could connect to my wireless network.
    After trying everything I went back to the 3 shop. They had a look and couldn't get it to connect either. They said "Oh you haven't even got it switched on". My reply was I only switch it on when I need it so it will conserve the battery etc. They then proceeded to tell me I should keep the packet data enabled in mobile network settings, as switching it on and off all the time is bad for the phone. Also not to worry about going over the limit as I'm on their €20 prepay deal. Now this really surprised me as I would've thought this was not good for the battery. I've now reset to factory settings like they suggested, and all is fine once again. So are they right:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Have the Ray myself with 3 and like you,I only turn on mobile internet/data traffic when I need it and never have any problems.
    And have to ask,why would they allow you to turn it off,if it needs to be on at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The ability to turn data on and off is a feature of Android phones not 3. Turn it off if you don't want to use it turn it on when you. I don't think it effects battery as your still connected to their 3G network but I could be wrong about that. What your doing is not wrong and if it makes the battery last longer keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Id never go to a mobile phone shop to ask advice about a phone :) Most of them are clueless :)

Come on boards :)

Mmm you can leave it on or off or switch them on and off. Its not bad for the phone. By leaving it off you will just a little bit of battery juice to get ya going longer. But personally i always leave it on. Seeing as three customers have "All You Can Eat Data" on prepay i wouldnt bother turning it off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,223 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Id never go to a car phone shop to ask advice about a phone :) Most of them are clueless :)

fixed that for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

fixed that for you:)

Hey a phone shop is a phone shop. Carphone Warehouse is no different to a Three Store :)

The difference in Carphone Warehouse you have a geek squad which makes up for staffs lack of interest in what they sell :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To save battery power, it's really more critical that you don't leave lots of applications running in the background.

If you're using an Android phone, there will typically be a task manager. For example, if you're using a Samsung Galaxy S series phone, try holding down the home button and you'll get the task manager.

From there, you can kill any running processes and save battery life.

A surprising number of android apps stay running in the background even after you think you've closed them.

You might also consider turning off push notifications and any account synchronisation if your phone is low on batteries.

You should be able to add a power-management widget if you tap and hold on the homescreen and select widgets. There's usually a standard power management widget

Something like: evo-4g-review-power-widgets.jpg

You can toggle on / off various power-hungry phone features and adjust the display from dim, to bright, to auto brightness (supported by most phones).

With an iPhone, it's also worth going into to check what apps are still running. Again, lots of them will leave aspects of themselves running in the background.

Also, minimise the use of syncing / push notifications where possible if you're concerned about battery life.

Unfortunately, without hacking your iPhone, there aren't any widgets to make this easy and you will have to switch the settings on and off through the settings menus.

With Windows Mobile and Blackberry, I'm sure it's rather similar, but I am unfamiliar with how they do things.

Every iteration of these mobile operating systems is improving battery life, so if you're running an Android phone, make sure you're as up-to-date as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Task managers for Android are more of a last resort if an app is on the rampage. Android manages memory itself and the constant closing of tasks may well reduce battery life instead of increasing it.

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Task managers for Android are more of a last resort if an app is on the rampage. Android manages memory itself and the constant closing of tasks may well reduce battery life instead of increasing it.

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

Thanks everyone. That was a very interesting read and shed a new light on things. According to this piece they were somewhat right in the shop so.

Advertisement