Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no M &S or Tesco in Salthill?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭

Can never fathom this but Salthill is screaming out fo a M & S Simply Food or a Tesco Metro. The choice in some of the existing shops is very limited and its time they were shut down, the waterfront area would be perfect for one of these supermarkets. It can be miserable trudging on a wet night to Super Valu on the Father Griffin road, surely sooner or later one of these franchises will buy into the area.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why should the shops out there shut down??

M&S will most definitely not be looking for that type of store in a location such as Salthill. The only expansion they will make in Galway in the long term will be into a large out of town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A farmer's market type place would be great in Salthill. There was a great speakeasy type late night place somewhere near Killorans. Something like that would be brilliant. Farmers market in the day/s - byob venue at night. Selection for groceries is pretty poor in Salthill, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Heven't we enough Tescos and M and S - there is a very good Joyces in Knocknacarra

O'Connors in Salthill has a good selection

Support local

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well Joyces and Dunnes aren't any further than SuperValue. while you might prefer m&s there is blakes which offers premade meals and does great desserts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

:( Every Euro spent in Tesco is another nail in the coffin of Irish jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

And there's Mortons's. Beats M&S anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Can never fathom this but Salthill is screaming out fo a M & S Simply Food or a Tesco Metro. The choice in some of the existing shops is very limited and its time they were shut down, the waterfront area would be perfect for one of these supermarkets. It can be miserable trudging on a wet night to Super Valu on the Father Griffin road, surely sooner or later one of these franchises will buy into the area.
    You sound like a stereotypical salthillian with entitlement issues, Why would they open in salthill its not exactly booming and parking can often be a problem, what is wrong with places like Mortons?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Salthill has plenty of high priced convenience store for sure (Mortons is really just a classy Centra), but I can see why people would prefer supermarket prices.

Doubt it would happen - can't think of any site with adequate road access (customers & delivery trucks).

Have wondered about Bailey Point though: lots of undercover parking space in there, surely it could be turned into a farmers market or suchlike.

And what I really think Salthill needs is ... a decent bus service. If there was a but every 10-15 minutes, and some strategic bus lanes to to guarantee the journey time, then I think it could do wonders for the tourists and locals.

(Yes, I know it's not that far from town. But if you're older, or you don't know you way around the city, then walking often isn't viable.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

There's always O'Leary's aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You sound like a stereotypical salthillian with entitlement issues, Why would they open in salthill its not exactly booming and parking can often be a problem, what is wrong with places like Mortons?

Morton's is horrifically expensive, and much of its stock tends to be gourmet deli standard. I like quality, but I rarely go to Mortons.

Do the two shops in Salthill (Centra and the one opposite) fall well short of what Supervalu on Fr Griffin Road has to offer?

There's also Rabbitte's in Lower Salthill, of course.

Assuming the OP doesn't have a car, may I recommend (as always!) investing in a bike? Even on a wet night you'll find it makes a trip to the shops much less of a trudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I was more or less saying that the convenience stores need to drop their prices and to be brought down a peg or two, Centra and Hollands have about two or three types of pizza, some of the usual Donegal Catch stuff, the odd lasagne and then thats about it for food selections unless your going for stuff in tins.

Mortons does have a nice selection but its very expensive, I usually do my shopping at Super Valu, but sometimes the weather can be dog rough to go there. Im not saying to shut the small stores but maybe they could broaden their selections a bit, you kinda of get sick of Goodfellas and Donegal Catch same old, same old thats on offer.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Its called supply for demand. Unless you ask for these stores to start stocking certain produce they wont do it as there is no point in them ordering stock that will just sit there on the shelves and inevidably go out in the bin. They would be seen as taking up valuable space for produce that is being bought by there local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Do the two shops in Salthill (Centra and the one opposite) fall well short of what Supervalu on Fr Griffin Road has to offer?

Yes. I live 2 mins walk from the Centra and it's fine if all you need is bread and milk. But it falls miles short of variety and choice compared to the Super Valu on Fr. Griffin Rd, so more often than not I do have to go over there or to Dunnes.

Mortons is indeed very expensive, many of it's customers appear to be yummy mummy types! They have a nice butchers in there though which I use occasionally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can't hear this screaming OP :confused:
    The good burghers of Salthill don't want supermarkets attracting riff-raff to the area don't you know.
    Maybe contact Tehscos and tell them the Burrenmount is seeking a new lease of life?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It has dawned on me that where other Occupy movements have sought to make their point in the vicinity of institutions related to the current crisis (Central Bank on Dame Street, Wall Street), doing so in Eyre Square is just taking a portion of a municipal place from the 99%.

If they really want to target the 1%, OCCUPY MORTONS. He who controls the tabouleh controls the universe.

OP, if you're able to shop during weekdays, the route 36 red bus goes between Salthill and Joyces in Knocknacarra. No good if you're working weekday's I know, but then you could afford to use Tesco on-line, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Mortons is good, but the selection is limited, and it is not cheap. Dunnes in Knocknacarra is unadventurous at best, ok for basics, but very poor selection of things like spices etc. Joyces is Joyces, it has improved, but it still has it's 'hangups' from the past and you still have to watch best before dates like a hawk there, which is not good enough for a supermarket IMO. Nestors is prob the most decent supermarket in the vicinity, in terms of choice, quality of produce etc. Somebody mentioned KC Blakes pantry, stuff here can be pricey and the selection can be hit and miss depending on the day. There is no one stop shop in Salthill really, but personally, I'm not sure that a big superstore is the answer either. Salthill still has quite a local feel, which is part of it's charm and a big tesco or whatever would massively take from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

One more chime in.... tescos delivers. Seriously, it is a fantastic service... There ya go now. Your welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would regard Saltill as a part of Galway city and Galway city is full of supermarkets, why not go to one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I find the butcher in mortons to be excellent and no more expensive than any other butcher. The fish is quality too and no more expensive than gannet or others fishmongers.

They rape you on the fruit an veg mind and the quality is so so. But it's a great shop to have nearby if for out-of-the-ordinary stuff like sushi sheets or risotto rice or a tin of black beans.

Supervalu on <snip, that's a bit personal about an assistant>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

my bad.

barone wrote: »
    ordinary stuff , sushi sheets ?

:rolleyes:
    Pretty sure they said 'out of the ordinary', selective reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

im pretty sure tesco would have considered salthill as a location for one of they're express outlets,they were advertising last year for shop owners who wanted out to approach them to organise a lease agreement,advertisement was in the sunday tribune before its demise.imo salthill is too small for a supermarket as its still very much a village.its very quiet 10 months of the year.the warwick site would be a good location but they would probably prefer to be closer to the prom.if your in salthill then supervalue isnt really too far to go.
    on a side note,we should be trying to keep our local traders in business when possible as the multiples will be able to charge what they like if all small businesses are closed down by them.apparently ireland is tesco's most profitable location so they may not be giving as good value to us as they would in the uk where they have fierce competition with asda and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

nuac wrote: »
    Heven't we enough Tescos and M and S - there is a very good Joyces in Knocknacarra

O'Connors in Salthill has a good selection

Support local

There is one Tesco supermarket and one small M&S in Galway City - both of which are terrible. Supporting local is good as long as they aren't taking you for a ride.

schween wrote: »
    There is one Tesco supermarket and one small M&S in Galway City - both of which are terrible. Supporting local is good as long as they aren't taking you for a ride.
    Whats terrible about them?

schween wrote: »

and a couple of Tesco Expresses ... and a big Tesco in Oranmore too (may as well be in the city :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'll never again shop in Tescos since they were advertising for interns to stock shelves over the Christmas.
    And there's Mortons's. Beats M&S anytime!
    Only place in town I can get jerky!
    snubbleste wrote: »
    The good burghers of Salthill don't want supermarkets attracting riff-raff to the area don't you know.
    Haha, anyone else remember about ten years ago when Salthill was a proper hive of scum and villany? Ah them were the days...

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'll never again shop in Tescos since they were advertising for interns to stock shelves over the Christmas.

Only place in town I can get jerky!

Haha, anyone else remember about ten years ago when Salthill was a proper hive of scum and villany? Ah them were the days...
    Explain??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Explain??

A grocery chain sought to plug gaps in its customer orientated service by enticing interns to stock horizontal plinths enclosed in bulidings during a holy festive timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Explain??

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0920/1224304411460.html

They'll never get another cent out of me.

Advertisement