Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no M &S or Tesco in Salthill?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »
    A grocery chain sought to plug gaps in its customer orientated service by enticing interns to stock horizontal plinths enclosed in bulidings during a holy festive timeframe.

"Intern" is the only word I don't understand in this context.

Junior Doctors? Surely not. ;)

Unpaid students looking for work experience? Surprising. Any takers?

EDIT: Just saw the IT link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    A grocery chain sought to plug gaps in its customer orientated service by enticing interns to stock horizontal plinths enclosed in bulidings during a holy festive timeframe.
    Aren't we smart this evening.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Only place in town I can get jerky!

Morton's has jerky? Beef? Teriyaki? Hmm, might have to check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Whats terrible about them?

Tesco isn't nice. It's fairly grubby. M&S is far too small.
    JustMary wrote: »
    and a couple of Tesco Expresses ... and a big Tesco in Oranmore too (may as well be in the city :) )

Although I've tried, the Tesco Expresses are no good for a week's shopping, just for the odd bits. Tesco Oranmore - may as well be in the city, but doubtful that many people from Galway use it.

My point is Galway isn't exactly overrun with Tesco and M&S. It is, however, overrun with Dunnes Stores. But sure Dunnes are Irish and it doesn't matter if they take money from small businesses.

schween wrote: »
    Tesco isn't nice. It's fairly grubby. M&S is far too small.

Although I've tried, the Tesco Expresses are no good for a week's shopping, just for the odd bits. Tesco Oranmore - may as well be in the city, but doubtful that many people from Galway use it.

My point is Galway isn't exactly overrun with Tesco and M&S. It is, however, overrun with Dunnes Stores. But sure Dunnes are Irish and it doesn't matter if they take money from small businesses.
    Whats your solution? A load of overpriced independents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

The M&S in Killarney is bigger than the M&S in Galway.

The Tesco in Nenagh is much nicer than the Tesco in Galway(which is like going back in time to the Quinnsworth era), and they even have a Tesco Extra in Clonmel. Clean, modern stores, with everything under one roof.

The British multiples are, by and large, poorly represented in Galway compared to their offerings in provincial Irish towns. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact, I'm sure it is advantageous for local providers here that this is the case.

The M&S in Killarney is bigger than the M&S in Galway.

The Tesco in Nenagh is much nicer than the Tesco in Galway(which is like going back in time to the Quinnsworth era), and they even have a Tesco Extra in Clonmel. Clean, modern stores, with everything under one roof.

The British multiples are, by and large, poorly represented in Galway compared to their offerings in provincial Irish towns. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact, I'm sure it is advantageous for local providers here that this is the case.
    Its a far nicer store that they have in Killarney but its not bigger, may even be the exact same square footage if im not mistaken. The thing about the stores in the provincial towns is that they were purpose built for M&S and Tesco not like in Galway where they inherited an old building.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Its a far nicer store that they have in Killarney but its not bigger, may even be the exact same square footage if im not mistaken. The thing about the stores in the provincial towns is that they were purpose built for M&S and Tesco not like in Galway where they inherited an old building.

Older building or not, the Galway M&S is a token offering relative to others in the country(how laughable is it in comparison to the Cork store?) and they have a much better food selection in the Killarney store as it is. I'm actually not too pushed about a better Tesco, but a decent M&S somewhere in the city would be lovely. Not right smack bang in Salthill though.

Older building or not, the Galway M&S is a token offering relative to others in the country(how laughable is it in comparison to the Cork store?) and they have a much better food selection in the Killarney store as it is. I'm actually not too pushed about a better Tesco, but a decent M&S somewhere in the city would be lovely. Not right smack bang in Salthill though.
    The stores are the same grade so there is actually no difference in food catalogue in either.
    The powers that be never thought Galway would get the level of custom that it does hence why they went for such a small store in comparison to the likes of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

newkie wrote: »
    Morton's has jerky? Beef? Teriyaki? Hmm, might have to check that out.
    They have spicy sweet beef but no teriyaki. They are actually pretty price competitive with most internet suppliers after you figure in postage. I'd make it myself but they're price competitive with running me oven for hours too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Haha, anyone else remember about ten years ago when Salthill was a proper hive of scum and villany? Ah them were the days...
    That was more like 20 years ago.... but yes, them were the days.

It's funny cos i live in salthill now and it's a very pleasant place to live. Must have been ****e for anyone living on the strip back in the eighties/nineties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

They have spicy sweet beef but no teriyaki. They are actually pretty price competitive with most internet suppliers after you figure in postage. I'd make it myself but they're price competitive with running me oven for hours too. :(

My wife got me a dehumidifier for xmas last year. You can get them off amazon.co.uk. I've gotten pretty successful and making the good stuff. Usually get myself €20 of roundsteak from butcher which lasts me a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

newkie wrote: »
    My wife got me a dehumidifier for xmas last year. You can get them off amazon.co.uk. I've gotten pretty successful and making the good stuff. Usually get myself €20 of roundsteak from butcher which lasts me a month.

Do you mean a dehydrator??
    Or am I missing something here:D
    Any you'd recommend for making jerky/fruit leather? Some look spendy enough, and I wonder do they eat electricty?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

schween wrote: »
    There is one Tesco supermarket and one small M&S in Galway City - both of which are terrible. Supporting local is good as long as they aren't taking you for a ride.

theres 3 tesco's in galway city, one express opposite the hospital, one on the headford road and the main tesco and tesco are trying to launch a big store in westside, m& s is over rated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Surely Aldi or Lidl will move into salthill, i mean its like a village in the city and it has no supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Whats your solution? A load of overpriced independents?

I was being sarcastic. When all the new Dunnes opened nobody cared. But if it's Tesco, people start predicting the apocalypse.
    barbs84 wrote: »
    theres 3 tesco's in galway city, one express opposite the hospital, one on the headford road and the main tesco and tesco are trying to launch a big store in westside, m& s is over rated

Reread my comment. I said there is one Tesco supermarket. A Tesco Express isn't a supermarket. It's a convenience store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

More buses in Salthill? Seriously? More buses wanted alright, but any other place than Salthill I would imagine? Salthill is i.m.o. one of the best-served areas with buses for Galway city I reckon, and not only that but for whatever reason the Salthill bus is usually always quite prompt and on-time. So more buses yeah but not for Salthill please.

Salthill has plenty of high priced convenience store for sure (Mortons is really just a classy Centra), but I can see why people would prefer supermarket prices.

Doubt it would happen - can't think of any site with adequate road access (customers & delivery trucks).

Have wondered about Bailey Point though: lots of undercover parking space in there, surely it could be turned into a farmers market or suchlike.

And what I really think Salthill needs is ... a decent bus service. If there was a but every 10-15 minutes, and some strategic bus lanes to to guarantee the journey time, then I think it could do wonders for the tourists and locals.

(Yes, I know it's not that far from town. But if you're older, or you don't know you way around the city, then walking often isn't viable.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Obviously you and I have had different experiences in the area.

It's not so bad in summer, when there's the extra services in the day. But from Sept - May, it's only 1/2 hourly, which is mad for a place which so many people would like to pop out to from the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ewo

Because Galway is a geographically small town, and given that Oranmore could be considered a suburb, there are two Tesco supermarkets ( and two Tesco mini markets) and one M&S within the relevant catchment area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Obviously you and I have had different experiences in the area.

It's not so bad in summer, when there's the extra services in the day. But from Sept - May, it's only 1/2 hourly, which is mad for a place which so many people would like to pop out to from the city.

There was a time when public transport to Salthill ran every ten minutes at times of peak demand! :)

It was in the days of the horse-drawn tram, of course:
    The really major change for the area came in October 1879, when the tramway opened between Salthill and the city. These horse drawn vehicles carried 36 passengers evenly divided between the saloon and the upper deck. There was a service every 10 minutes if the traffic demanded, otherwise every 20 minutes in summer and 30 minutes in winter.
    46545.jpg

Source:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/46545/the-end-of-the-tramline

The distance from the city centre hasn't changed. The population has soared, in comparison to that of the late 19th Century. Some other differences are evident in the photo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement