Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone cancelled Westwood gym membership?

• 08-01-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has cancelled Westwood Gym membership? I've lost my job and cannot afford to pay it any longer - but I signed a contract. If anyone has been in a similar situation and just decided to cancel anyway I would be really glad to hear how you got on? I could do without them taking me to court for it at the moment! :(

Thanks,

Críona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

Yup back in Nov...

I don't think there ever was a contract in place, hence that 'joining' fee... You do have to give 30 days notice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yep, I cancelled mine, had to pay for two months after though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Just cancel the direct debit!! I done this as well as a few other people i know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Croí

Hi All,

Thanks a million for replies - makes me feel a bit better about just cancelling it!

C

It's gone so downhill that you have absolutely no reason to feel bad...

Not paying €80 a month to get hit on the head by mouldy ceiling tiles, slimey showers, pushing a hoover between my feet when I'm lifting and having to scavenge the place for broken weights that are thrown all over the place

• Advertisement

Absolutely! And Personal Trainer service leaves a lot to be desired and no one replies to my phone messages or emails - so what am I actually paying for?!?

Thanks again! C

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Morning Wood

Croí wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has cancelled Westwood Gym membership? I've lost my job and cannot afford to pay it any longer - but I signed a contract. If anyone has been in a similar situation and just decided to cancel anyway I would be really glad to hear how you got on? I could do without them taking me to court for it at the moment! :(

Thanks,

Críona

Just cancel the direct debit (with your bank) and ignore all calls or letters from them. Don't even let them know you're cancelling. They'll go away.

I've done with with Westwood, Total Fitness, and Slender Heath over the years; NEVER any comeback or consequences regardless of what I signed. I even went back to Westwood years later and they never said anything - then I did it again without any problems.

You took them up on personal training?

The rack rate on personal training is €120 a session... It's seriously the biggest rip going... I know guys with a PhD's who train Brad Pitt or Britney spears etc for a living and they don't have the gall to try and charge that

Not kids with IT Certs and 2 months experience training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

AMT wrote: »
    The rack rate on personal training is €120 a session

:eek:

Well it's a few years when I was there last but it was fifty euro per session back then

I used Willie, a Clare man and he was very good. Long since left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

well in fairness to them, they put some cash into Clontarf, apart from the mens dressing room which isnt the best, they are just rank!! They did do up the ladies one though, quite nice (the men were moved there during renovations!!) and more importantly they put some money into the weights, just a little mind but still an improvement.
    However the trainers are a joke - all of them!!

• Advertisement

ATM:

I only took them up on personal training as I was told some sessions were free when I started (can't remember how many). After one, I realised it was a joke!!

Morning Wood:

Thanks for that. Here's hoping I get the same response! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnie

It's gone so downhill that you have absolutely no reason to feel bad...

Not paying €80 a month to get hit on the head by mouldy ceiling tiles, slimey showers, pushing a hoover between my feet when I'm lifting and having to scavenge the place for broken weights that are thrown all over the place

Which one are you talking about? Or are you referring to all 3?? Looking for a gym at the mo in the d4/6 area and was thinking about the sandymount one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jedgar

Talk to them about changing to off-peak or transferring your membership. I was unemployed for a short time and changed to off-peak and it suited perfect and then changed back to full membership when I got a job again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jedgar

Regarding the personal training. I spoke to the General Manager in Leopardstown about not booking the free personal training when I joined. He apologised immediately and organised 6 one-hour personal training sessions with a trainer. Her name is Nicky. She was fantastic. Yes. West Wood is not a cheap gym, but then again, I did not want a cheap gym, I wanted results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Croí wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Críona

hi,

just wondering whether you would consider transferring your membership to somebody else? I might be interested...
    thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I used to go here, are they charging 80 now? I'm sure I used to pay 70. How can they justify that in this day and age ffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I used to go here, are they charging 80 now? I'm sure I used to pay 70. How can they justify that in this day and age ffs?

talked to them today, and was told that the 3-month membership is €95 and the 12-month is €75/month. Plus you have to pay the joining fee... hoping to find somebody who wants to sell/transfer their membership as I'll only need it for about 5-8 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

At this stage is it about time the 75 euro was dropped , I bet they are paying staff less etc.

75 euro is too much, I'm going to ask straight for a drop or I'll leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rubypenny2012

I think €75 a month is a lot to pay for a gym membership recession or not. it may be an excellent gym but at the end of the day its what you put in you get out. pay €16 a month with ben dunne and work as hard sames results. no effert no results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi all,

I'm heading down to work in Limerick so am planning on cancelling my Westwood membership. I just thought I'd put it up here in case anyone wanted me to transfer it to them? Would save you having to pay the joining fee!

I'm very suprised about the comments about Westwood on here. I regularly go to the Clontarf gym, and it is by and far the best gym I have ever used.I've lived in Limerick and Cork, and even the best gyms there don't come close to Westwood! I'm going to miss their spinning studio so much :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

The Westwoods in Clontarf and Leopardstown are great gyms in my opinion. Sandymount is too small though, although the pool / spa area is the nicest of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

I left about two years ago, wrote them an email complaining about the hygiene problems in the changing rooms and mess on the gym floor (to which I never received a reply) and then just cancelled the DD. Unless you use the pool the 75 a month or whatever it's now definitely isn't worth it. I'd imagine most WW members are simply too snobbish to go to Ben Dunne, a bit like many people prefer being continuously ripped off by Supervalu rather than risk being seen going to Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 hotstuff2

panda100 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm heading down to work in Limerick so am planning on cancelling my Westwood membership. I just thought I'd put it up here in case anyone wanted me to transfer it to them? Would save you having to pay the joining fee!

I'm very suprised about the comments about Westwood on here. I regularly go to the Clontarf gym, and it is by and far the best gym I have ever used.I've lived in Limerick and Cork, and even the best gyms there don't come close to Westwood! I'm going to miss their spinning studio so much :(
    Im hoping to join there in sept so wd be interested as am not willing to pay a joining fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

tomdublin wrote: »
    I left about two years ago, wrote them an email complaining about the hygiene problems in the changing rooms and mess on the gym floor (to which I never received a reply) and then just cancelled the DD. Unless you use the pool the 75 a month or whatever it's now definitely isn't worth it. I'd imagine most WW members are simply too snobbish to go to Ben Dunne, a bit like many people prefer being continuously ripped off by Supervalu rather than risk being seen going to Aldi.

With me it is that WW is the closest, is over 18s, has a great pool and is €14 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭User2

I have just lost my job and I will be cancelling in the next couple of days if anyone wants a transfer just PM by tomorrow evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Apologies for the bump, I didn't see the need of starting a completely new thread as many people in here can help answer my question..

..but what is the best way of cancelling the membership? Can't afford it anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Zyzz wrote: »
    Apologies for the bump, I didn't see the need of starting a completely new thread as many people in here can help answer my question..

..but what is the best way of cancelling the membership? Can't afford it anymore :(

Just cancel your DD and ignore there calls!
    Westwood Gym is a rip off, the staff are the most rude people you will ever meet and the hygiene standers of the place is a disgrace. I would advise anyone who is thinking of joining this gym to stay well clear! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I was gonna join clontarf westwood myself this week, is it that rough gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Just use them taking away the 50kg dumbbells as your excuse, they broke the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Zyzz wrote: »

...what's wrong brah? something wrong with their sauna :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

UncleChael wrote: »
    Just use them taking away the 50kg dumbbells as your excuse, they broke the contract.
    Show me where in the contract that the total gym weights weight is specified...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

the_syco wrote: »

Could argue level of service has changed. In the UK gyms have been pulled up on that due to unfair contract terms though over there you can get a bad credit rating from breaking contracts. Here they threaten you with debt collector letters and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

the_syco wrote: »

It doesnt need to be.

In Ireland Consumer contracts are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

This Act provides that;
    "
    Goods must be as described
    - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement."

Consumers are also protected by the Consumer Protection Act 2007, which lays out that claims about the weight, ingredients and performance of goods must be stated truthfully.

So I dont need to see whatever contract they give out these days to know they have altered the service enough to allow someone to cancel their membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

I know guys with a PhD's who train Brad Pitt or Britney spears etc for a living

yeah i know that guys too, thinks he's all that with his phd's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    I was gonna join clontarf westwood myself this week, is it that rough gone?

gym is ok, male changing rooms are rank, particularly the toilets, not even cleaned properly anymore. The ladies were done up about 18 months ago but alas they assume men would appear to be able to handle germs/rankiness better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ellaz

Hi Guys,

I have membership with Westwood Clontarf, just lost my job and want to cancel it till en of the week. If anyone wants to transfer my membership pls let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buzzz88

Hi, I'm thinking of cancelling my membership (due to the fact I'm not getting a chance to use it as much as I'd like, no complaints about facilities or service, in Sandymount anyway).

Membership is for all three locations. If anyone would be interested in transferring my membership to them please PM me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 littlestone

I know this is a little far on but you all seemed to have some success.

I am trying to leave my membership in Westwood Clontarf. I signed a contract which was not in keeping with what the sales guy who I signed up with promised (he told me I could leave with 30 days notice within the year however now there is a 12 month minimum and then a further two months of payments after cancellation).

I simply cannot afford it anymore, it will just bounce on my bank account.

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Kung Lao

I know this is a little far on but you all seemed to have some success.

I am trying to leave my membership in Westwood Clontarf. I signed a contract which was not in keeping with what the sales guy who I signed up with promised (he told me I could leave with 30 days notice within the year however now there is a 12 month minimum and then a further two months of payments after cancellation).

I simply cannot afford it anymore, it will just bounce on my bank account.

Any advice?

Ya sorry to bump this too. I recently went into them and asked about cancelling as I simply cannot afford it anymore. He basically told me there is nothing they can do but he hinted that I could just cancel the direct debit, which is what I did. I got a letter last week saying they noticed it was cancelled and there is still amounts due on the contract, blah blah. I reckon I will just ignore whatever else comes and hope they back off.

I also must admit I'm pretty disappointed with the place, considering what you pay. Wish I found this thread before joining. There is nothing to distinguish the place over say a regular Ben Dunne gym which is a fraction of the cost. I really don't know how they can justify €75 per month, it's incredibly expensive. I don't use the pool so I suppose it's not really a suitable gym for me anyway. I also thought given the size of the place (Clontarf) and the membership cost that it would be a fairly quiet gym but it's not. Crazy busy all the time. They are also constantly changing the layout of the place, what is that about? I go in one day and the next day the machines are moved around or there's a completely new area added. As mentioned here already, the personal training is a real joke too. It's surprising because they really try to sell and promote this, you would think it's actually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

just cancel your direct debit and stick to your guns. They recently renovated clontarf, hence the movement of equipment, probably trying to find the best lay out, somewhat reminiscent of a disco but its a good gym, it has always been expensive too. Ben Dunnes simply does not compare,sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

hi all, I also fell into the exact same trap as the rest of you guys and got fobbed the same story as Littlestone so I'm looking to jump the Westwood gym as Im likely relocation soon anyways. How has everyone got on just cancelling their direct debit and then not returning to the gym...any solicitor letters or further repurcutions? I don't need the hassle of these guys taking a legal route on me. BTW if anyone wants to switch over from my account or knows someone please DM me. Thanks.
    Spoke to the bank and they said the type of direct debit I have foolishly set up makes it harder to cancel, but once I show AIB proof of an email where I email westwood saying I'm cancelling my membership, they can override all systems "somehow" and stop Westwood getting paid

Advertisement