Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS5 / iPhone4 / iCloud issues

• 08-01-2012 4:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having some issues with my iPhone 4 and iOS5. I'm on the latest version of the software.

Issue 1: iCloud backup
    When syncing with iTunes, iTunes won't backup my iPhone data. It tries but then moves on. No error messages or anything. However when I go into the "Back Up Now" option on the phone itself in the iCloud menu, it backs up fine.

I did a restore a few weeks ago and its been happening since then.

Issue 2: Music playing on my iPhone 4 won't sync with iTunes. i.e. If I play a song on my iPhone, the play count on iTunes doesn't increase after syncing. This has always been the case since the iOS update. Restoring didn't help.

Any thoughts on the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

faceman wrote: »
    I'm having some issues with my iPhone 4 and iOS5. I'm on the latest version of the software.

Issue 1: iCloud backup
    When syncing with iTunes, iTunes won't backup my iPhone data. It tries but then moves on. No error messages or anything. However when I go into the "Back Up Now" option on the phone itself in the iCloud menu, it backs up fine.

I did a restore a few weeks ago and its been happening since then.

Maybe im reading this wrong BUT i think you can choose either backup to pc OR icloud, ive mine set to back up to icloud so i dont need to go near my pc regulary.
    Issue 2: Music playing on my iPhone 4 won't sync with iTunes. i.e. If I play a song on my iPhone, the play count on iTunes doesn't increase after syncing. This has always been the case since the iOS update. Restoring didn't help.

Any thoughts on the above?

Play counts wouldnt interest me in the slightest so cant offer anything on this one,sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

like was said above you can only backup to one at a time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The back up option in iTunes has always been set to iCloud.

The back up option in iTunes has always been set to iCloud.
    well then ya can't backup to the pc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

guil wrote: »
    well then ya can't backup to the pc

Its not the PC Im trying to back up to, its iCloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

You said its working fine if you do it through your phone as opposed to itunes,is it working fine that way? If so whats the issue?
    Is wifi sync working ok for you?

i dont think itunes will backup up the iphone if you have icloud set to backup

guil wrote: »
    i dont think itunes will backup up the iphone if you have icloud set to backup

Thats what i figured too. However when I manual select backup via iTunes it goes through the back up process but when you check the date of the last back up, it hasn't backed up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

you have to change the setting for the play counts on your fone to add to itunes, i had to do it for my ipod touch. actually havnt checked to see if it works

you have to change the setting for the play counts on your fone to add to itunes, i had to do it for my ipod touch. actually havnt checked to see if it works

How do I do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

:confused: play counts? :confused:

dodzy wrote: »
    :confused: play counts? :confused:

Where in the settings is the play count option?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

In Itunes go to edit, when box pops up go to sharing and down the bottom it should give you the option to check a box that says Home sharing computers and devices update play counts

There is no option on the phone afaik

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do you manually manage music, faceman? Play counts don't sync when you do this. Prior to iOS 5 it used to work on the iPhone. This seems to have been a bug because the same never worked on the iPod. And rightly so since if you are manually managing music nothing should be syncing with iTunes.

And iCloud backups don't happen as part of the iTunes sync, but it will usually happen shortly after provided there's enough power coming from the machine. That's my experience anyway. And when you manually tell iTunes to backup then afaik it's backing up to iTunes, not to iCloud, so the date of the "last backup to iCloud" won't change.

Do you manually manage music, faceman? Play counts don't sync when you do this. Prior to iOS 5 it used to work on the iPhone. This seems to have been a bug because the same never worked on the iPod. And rightly so since if you are manually managing music nothing should be syncing with iTunes.

And iCloud backups don't happen as part of the iTunes sync, but it will usually happen shortly after provided there's enough power coming from the machine. That's my experience anyway. And when you manually tell iTunes to backup then afaik it's backing up to iTunes, not to iCloud, so the date of the "last backup to iCloud" won't change.

Cheers for that. Yeah I manually manage music and as you said, its only an issue since ios5. Ive started using an apppnow that syncs music to last.fm direct (which is what I was after anyway) to circumvent it.

Advertisement