Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st johns park

• 08-01-2012 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

lads i have a question that i asked my girlfriend earlier and she had,nt a clue what the answer was to it, but why and how many crosses are on buildings in johns park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

lads i have a question that i asked my girlfriend earlier and she had,nt a clue what the answer was to it, but why and how many crosses are on buildings in johns park

for saint john (st johns park)
    very holy place

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

houses were probably built during a marian year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

for saint john (st johns park)
    very holy place
    good one billy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

The naked city ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Who are they offending now? :D

• Advertisement

Who are they offending now? :D
    ah was just curious is all

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

It is something to do with them being built on consecrated ground. I heard. Apparently there is an old graveyard site by the houses with the crosses on them.That could be wrong but that's what my aunt told me who lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    It is something to do with them being built on consecrated ground. I heard. Apparently there is an old graveyard site by the houses with the crosses on them.That could be wrong but that's what my aunt told me who lives there.

I heard it was built on an ancient Indian burial ground.
    Apparently the ghosts still roam the housing estates. Sometimes on a Saturday night you can still hear them chanting and singing their ancient songs and shouting in tongues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yup. Lotta strange things going on over in that there Indian Burial Ground

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

leduke wrote: »
    houses were probably built during a marian year!

Johns Park was started in 1952 and completed in 1954, the Marian Year, hence all the crosses.

• Advertisement

Partizan wrote: »
    Johns Park was started in 1952 and completed in 1954, the Marian Year, hence all the crosses.

the houses in kennedy row wernt compleated until 1962

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Was chatting with the grandfather this evening about it and he moved in during the 1950s. He couldn't remember exactly when the estate was started, but he said the crosses were there because of either the Holy Year, which was in 1950, or the 1954 Marian Year. In that case Partizan is on the ball with his dates and the reason behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yup. Lotta strange things going on over in that there Indian Burial Ground

You dont wanna go down that road.
    Lotta history down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Where did people from St John's Park go to church from 1954 to 1969 when Sacred Heart got built?

Nolanger wrote: »
    Where did people from St John's Park go to church from 1954 to 1969 when Sacred Heart got built?

they used the community hall in the ursline school as a church on a sunday.

very good info lads thanks, boardsies never fail with the info lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Does anyone know which shop opened first? Hayes, O'Regans (Londis), Centra and Abbotts?

I can't remember who owned Centra before they took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

centra was doyles i think before it changed over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'm guessing Marian park was built around the same time, the houses have a 50's type design to them as well.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Does anyone know which shop opened first? Hayes, O'Regans (Londis), Centra and Abbotts?

I can't remember who owned Centra before they took over.

jacky o regan opened the first shop back in the 60s which is now londis, still owened by jackys son john. sound fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you want to know what it was like to grow in St Johns Park during the 60's then read Sean Dunnes book : http://www.gallerypress.com/Authors/Sdunne/Books/sdimfh.html

Advertisement