Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does the assessment consist of?

• 08-01-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I am living in a semi in Dublin 15 since it was built in 1991. I have had the attic converted and an extension built onto the kitchen/diningroom. The insulation was increased at the time of the building work two years ago.

I am thinking of selling the house over the next year and I presume I would need a BER assessment carried out. What does the assessment involve? Does the assessor test the materials used in the construction of the house? Is the inspection destructive? I would have no idea of the specification of building materials employed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

You will need a BER cert at the time of sale. The inspection is generally non-intrusive, and involves examination and measurement of the walls,floors and roof (and attic) of the property. Where a definitive specification for the construction is not available certain assumptions will be made based on the age of the property and the regulations which were in force at the time of its construction. In some cases, there may be information available in the form of planning application drawings and specifications for the initial development.

The extensions will be governed by newer regulations than the original dwelling. Any improvements to the orignal insulation will also be factored into the assessment to give the overall energy rating of the property.

Advertisement