Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for my methodology for final year project

Options
  • 08-01-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice for my methodology on my final year project on overcoming the problem of not finding relevant information from secondary research (books, journals and websites). I'm kind of struggling into finding an alternative to overcome this problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pinekone

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Well what exactly do you mean?

If you are doing a piece of qualitative or quantitative research and you cannot find any research relating to it then i think you maybe be doing something that is way too difficult. However, it doesn't seem plausible that there isn't any research available out there. I assume you need research for your lit. review right?
    Well i'm doing a qualitative research FYP and I found that my approach was the same, nothing had been done on it. But, i did find a lot of literature surrounding the issue but it was fragmented and it was multi-disciplinary, taken from Sociology, criminology, psychiatry, psychology etc...So i had to just plow through them all and locate any kind of research first.
    My supervisor said to me that if i didn't find any research that was qualitative then use quant. etc, so i did but i also found qualitative research that i might just mention as well, that are weakly connected to my overall research, not sure if that's the way to go but i'm going to use that approach and stick to it.
    But there must be some kind of research there because if you have thought of it, there must be people in the USA, UK, Australia and on the continent that have noticed it too....
    If you find one then look at the reference list at the back of the article that is usually a good starting point...
    Maybe if you give more information to the precise nature of your problem people here could help you more...icon12.gif
    Remember though it is a strong justification for your research if there isn't much out there...

Not sure if this helps, good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pinekone

xinchao wrote: »
    Well what exactly do you mean?

If you are doing a piece of qualitative or quantitative research and you cannot find any research relating to it then i think you maybe be doing something that is way too difficult. However, it doesn't seem plausible that there isn't any research available out there. I assume you need research for your lit. review right?
    Well i'm doing a qualitative research FYP and I found that my approach was the same, nothing had been done on it. But, i did find a lot of literature surrounding the issue but it was fragmented and it was multi-disciplinary, taken from Sociology, criminology, psychiatry, psychology etc...So i had to just plow through them all and locate any kind of research first.
    My supervisor said to me that if i didn't find any research that was qualitative then use quant. etc, so i did but i also found qualitative research that i might just mention as well, that are weakly connected to my overall research, not sure if that's the way to go but i'm going to use that approach and stick to it.
    But there must be some kind of research there because if you have thought of it, there must be people in the USA, UK, Australia and on the continent that have noticed it too....
    If you find one then look at the reference list at the back of the article that is usually a good starting point...
    Maybe if you give more information to the precise nature of your problem people here could help you more...icon12.gif
    Remember though it is a strong justification for your research if there isn't much out there...

Not sure if this helps, good luck with it

Thanks for your reply.

What I mean is that if you can't find information from secondary research (books, journals, websites) for your final year project how are you going to overcome this problem? To me I just can't think of a better solution to overcome this problem.

Part of my project is primary/qualitative research. And also part of it is secondary research. This is where I'm having a problem with because I haven't thought of an alternative for the problem as mentioned before.

I have found books relating to the subject matter but not necessarily directly about the subject.

I'm not asking for answers. Just some advice.

Thanks.

Advertisement