Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz 24th of january. Help needed

Options
  • 08-01-2012 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My girlfriend and me are moving to Oz on the 24th of jan and was looking for some much needed help or tips that may be of benefit. I have read a lot of treads, very helpful but any update info would be greatly appreciated.!!

I arrive in Sydney and we are spending a week there, although I'm trying to shorten that stay. First off I was looking for a decent hostel, That fact I'm staying in a hostel, moneys an issue. At the same time I don't wanna stay in a rough place either. Suggestions.?

I arrive in Perth on the 1st (if i can't get out a bit before that date)
    Decent hostels there would b a help, although i have one in mind in fremantle ( Sundancers )

I want to start work asap, or regional work would be even better.
    Are agencies the place to look for jobs, I heard they aren't too helpful.!?
    Is there much option of regional work, or should we go east for that..?

I was looking for good travel insurance also, I have an expensive laptop i was looking to get covered in it.?

Lastly I was wondering about what mobile network is best, I have an iPhone so data is a must.

I appreciate any help or comments in advance.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Have a look on hostelworld for reviews on hostels, usually they have accurate reviews.

If you want a cheap one in Sydney there are a few in Newtown which are cheap and friendly, since it's not the beach or city it will be cheaper.
    The cheap ones are around kings cross/ potts point area. But quality wouldn't the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

KSEERY wrote: »
    Decent hostels there would b a help, although i have one in mind in fremantle ( Sundancers )
    Fremantle is great for backpackers but I wouldn't recommend it for yourself.Its a very quiet town and isn't great for work.It is also a good 30mins from Perth CBD.
    Agencies can be hit and miss.The best places are the Western Australia,seek.com and meeting Irish,amazing the contacts you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

My girlfriend and me are moving to Oz on the 24th of jan and was looking for some much needed help or tips that may be of benefit. I have read a lot of treads, very helpful but any update info would be greatly appreciated.!!

I arrive in Sydney and we are spending a week there, although I'm trying to shorten that stay. First off I was looking for a decent hostel, That fact I'm staying in a hostel, moneys an issue. At the same time I don't wanna stay in a rough place either. Suggestions.?

I was looking for good travel insurance also, I have an expensive laptop i was looking to get covered in it.?

Lastly I was wondering about what mobile network is best, I have an iPhone so data is a must.

I appreciate any help or comments in advance.!

How are you getting to Perth from Sydney? Myself and a mate are thinking of flying into Sydney and then going to Perth to look for work from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Depends on the type of visa you got, and what you want to do later on. i.e., if you are, as i assume, on a WHV, you probably want to consider or have the option of applying for a 2nd WHV, in which case you'll want to look at regional, or 'specified' work. Other than that, get what ever work you can.
    KSEERY wrote:
    That will depend on the kind of work you're looking to get into. Depending on if it works for them, some are helpful, and some aren't.
    KSEERY wrote:

Telstra is the incumbent, akin to eircon at home. They're rubbish at most stuff and can be a nightmare to deal with, but they happen to have one of the better mobile networks in the country. Apart from that, try Optus. Some mates have recently signed up with a crowd called amaysim, who piggyback off the optus network. Reports so far are good (in Adelaide at least). Steer clear of Vodafone or Virgin at all cost.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Steer clear of Vodafone or Virgin at all cost.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Virgin piggyback off Optus,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

hussey wrote: »
    Virgin piggyback off Optus,
    yup! but i never heard anything good about them. I've heard good & bad things about optus. and I've heard good things about this other crowd. While i also bash vodafone, I'm actually with them myself, but I have a dumb-phone and don't use any data. The missus did use them for data and they were terrible.

My housemate is on Optus I am on Virgin
    In sydney anyway we pretty much get the exact same 3G and reception.

I've been with them for a year now and have no complaints, although 3G is no way near as fast as Telstra

Advertisement