Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing iPhone battery

• 08-01-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this, how easy is it?

Planning to take out the current (standard one) and replace with a more powerful one. Tired of having to make sure I charge it every night. Forget to do it after a night out and screwed the next day sorta thing.

Just wondering how easy is it to do and all that? Watched videos on youtube, like this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYkYMcGcy4 ...but anyone here have any other advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

iPhone 3G/s,4 or 4s?
    What mh is the battery compared to the standard?
    To be honest I've never seen a smartphone that didn't need to be charged every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My old Nokia 5800 would go days without charging.
    Tbh OP if you put a more powerful battery in it could be a disaster, but also work.
    Only do it if you're out of warranty and willing to risk the phone.
    Or get more charger cables, have one in the car to charge from cigg lighter.
    Or get a backup battery pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The 3G is different to the 3GS so make sure you watch the right video, as my brother in law found out.

It's not for the faint hearted as you need to take everything out to get to the battery.

In the end he messed up and broke the vibrator motor so now the phone doesn't vibrate and the battery actually last less time than the original.

These cheap eBay battery's are cheap for a reason. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The iPhone 3 and 3GS are a little harder to replace than the iPhone 4, on the 3GS you need to lift out the logic board whereas on the iPhone 4 you just remove two screws and slide off the back cover, there one more screw securing the battery connecter after that you just pry off the battery connecter and lift out the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Hmm, thanks for the advice. Might be best to leave it so. Or is there any reputable places in town that do this sort of thing? Like would the O2 shop do it for example at a decent price?

• Advertisement

Keano! wrote: »
    Hmm, thanks for the advice. Might be best to leave it so. Or is there any reputable places in town that do this sort of thing? Like would the O2 shop do it for example at a decent price?

I could do it for you if you like, I have lots of experience repairing iPhones send me a PM if your interested and I'll give you a price, O2 won't do anything with it they'll probably just refer you to Apple or suggest you buy a new model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Have you got experience in replacing iPhone batteries? And if yeh, do you notice a significant difference in performance?

Keano! wrote: »
    Have you got experience in replacing iPhone batteries? And if yeh, do you notice a significant difference in performance?

Of course I have lots of experience disassembling them down to the base components, just recently I replaced the battery on an iPhone 3GS the parts are new so there is a significant difference but it depends of course on your usage I recommend disabling 3G to extend the life of your battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Unless your battery is reaching the end of its life you will not notice any significant difference in replacing.
    As far as I remember original batteries are about 1150mah and it's possible to buy aftermarket 1600mah batteries. Ive no personal expierence using these batteries In my own phone although i have changed quite a few for customers but From reports I've heard back and read online the difference is not noticeable for some reason(maybe manufactures are mis labelling them)

Turning off your 3G kinda defeats te purpose of having an iPhone!

Advertisement