Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Study

• 08-01-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Whats everyone doing for study, how many hours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm just continuing what I was doing before Christmas, roughly 3 hours a day. Weekends however I'm going to aim for 3-4 hours a day not including homework, because I used to be pretty lazy about weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

im doing 4 hours weekend nights including homework though. i litterally spend ages studying on the weekend though wit brakes though

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭robbiep94

ya i find that i spend hours on one subject and have no energy for the others i had planned... what do ye think?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

robbiep94 wrote: »
    ya i find that i spend hours on one subject and have no energy for the others i had planned... what do ye think?:(

If it helps, do a timetable of sorts or something like that :). Maybe it can help you to structure your thinking a bit so you can cover everything.

The worst thing to do right now is go around comparing yourself with other people, relax and work at your own rate :). Don't get panicked by going around comparing the amount of hours you've done with others!

If it helps, do a timetable of sorts or something like that :). Maybe it can help you to structure your thinking a bit so you can cover everything.

The worst thing to do right now is go around comparing yourself with other people, relax and work at your own rate :). Don't get panicked by going around comparing the amount of hours you've done with others!

Thanks for the advise. Wasn't comparing myself just seeing what was the average... Thanks anyway

P.S are you in 6th year?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My mocks are in 3 weeks so i'm gonna do at least 5 hours pure study after school everyday and probably 6 hours Saturdays & Sundays.. I'm soo fecked for these mocks it's not even funny guys! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

My mocks are in 3 weeks so i'm gonna do at least 5 hours pure study after school everyday and probably 6 hours Saturdays & Sundays.. I'm soo fecked for these mocks it's not even funny guys! :(

Is that including home work?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

dont even worry about the mocks, dont stress :) i think if your having trouble doing what you planned you should be more practical? make a topic list and just cross it off as you complete each section, you have 5 months left :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I done the leaving a few years ago and I remember doing too much study and being burnt out by April.

My advice is to pace yourself and make sure your study is sustainable for you.

at the end of the day they dont matter... dont stress yourself... you will be grand;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 yeahhhbuddy

I'm soo fecked for these mocks it's not even funny guys! :(

I hear ya.... I haven't started studying yet! :o Here's hoping my teachers will pass on a few hints for them, highly unlikely though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i'm going to try and go from 2 to 3 hours and start doing four hours at the weekend

No, I don't plan on doing homework for about 3 weeks.

No, I don't plan on doing homework for about 3 weeks.

I detect sarcism:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Thanks for the advise. Wasn't comparing myself just seeing what was the average... Thanks anyway

P.S are you in 6th year?;)

In first year of college so went through all this last year!

I detect sarcism:D
    No why would I be using sarcasm?. I don't plan on doing homework until my mocks are finished unless absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I have a timetable and that fixes that, but sometimes its good to just spend a few hours really getting to grips with something then stopping halfway. Like a lot of times I'd sit down and just go through 6 or 7 exam questions on a topic that I find hard and by the end I really know know it.

I don't take breaks though. I'm too easily distracted, I prefer to just sit down and finish what I'm doing.

On the homework front, I don't get very much but I don't do stupid homework for teachers who never correct anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Take her handy. You'll be grand. Do a bit now and then but don't overdo it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Neeson wrote: »
    Take her handy. You'll be grand. Do a bit now and then but don't overdo it.

Exactly how I feel. The leaving cert isn't the be all and end all of everything.

Anyway how many points you get isn't a statement of how smart you are merely a point of how much you can learn off and the luck on the day of the exam.

silversky wrote: »
    Exactly how I feel. The leaving cert isn't the be all and end all of everything.

Anyway how many points you get isn't a statement of how smart you are merely a point of how much you can learn off and the luck on the day of the exam.

correct:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 helell

I recently read a twitter post from a teacher who suggested that you need to do one hour study per night for every 100 points you need. so 500 points=5hrs. Not sure where he/she got this stat from, if it is even a true statistic! Obviously your study time will vary depending on ability and ambition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny93

helell wrote: »
    I recently read a twitter post from a teacher who suggested that you need to do one hour study per night for every 100 points you need. so 500 points=5hrs. Not sure where he/she got this stat from, if it is even a true statistic! Obviously your study time will vary depending on ability and ambition!

No, it completely depends on the person. There's lucky people who can do very little and achieve 500+, and theres some people that just don't sponge up information well. 5 hours a night every night is unrealistic, and unhealthy, for most. That teacher is just scaremongering to get people motivated to study. I mean, come on, saying that you "need" to study an hour per 100 points, he's obviously just pulling that out of his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

I do two hours of supervised study after school from Monday - Thursday, and then I do my homework and some light study when I get home after 6. Weekends are for homework and some study as well, but I don't over exert myself. I don't lock myself in my room for 5hours to study and I still seem to be doing as well as I want to in school. Work at your own pace, don't hold yourself in comparison to others. There are people who achieve 500+ points with minimal study, and people who get barely 300 who study every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No why would I be using sarcasm?. I don't plan on doing homework until my mocks are finished unless absolutely necessary.

Why? Homework is more important than study in most every case.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Supervised study, three hours four days a week. Little on the weekends, but thats it really

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RoseanneB

I actually do nothing... and I'm hoping for 420 points... I have just realised that I am going to fail my Leaving Cert. Brill. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

helell wrote: »
    Such lies, someone who studies three hours per night isnt going to only get 300 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Such lies, someone who studies three hours per night isnt going to only get 300 :rolleyes:

He might if he's doing all Ordinary Level subjects :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Exactly! There are many who don't study an ounce and get more than that! Differs from person to person, there's hardly a definitive statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

RoseanneB wrote: »
    I actually do nothing... and I'm hoping for 420 points... I have just realised that I am going to fail my Leaving Cert. Brill. :eek:

Are you me? I think you're me! :D

Advertisement