Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

theg81der wrote: »
    I think this is brilliant! I don`t drink and I`m sick of people drinking so much.

The biggest troll post ever :pac:
    Why didnt you just end it with "...come boards. give it to me! :cool:"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does the minimum price apply to 6 packs / trays ?

ie. is it per can or per tray ?

Back in the day one of the measures against cigarettes was to remove the 10 pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

LighterGuy wrote: »
    The biggest troll post ever :pac:
    Why didnt you just end it with "...come boards. give it to me! :cool:"

See thats my point - unimaginable to most people that its possible to live without alcohol. Obviously there is a need for some measure to force people to stop drinking so much cause they aren`t going to do it themselves are they.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

Again we have to pay for the fat bankers that are still in they jobs that destryed this country.
    They are again making the normal person pay for a small minority of Ireland.

I have to be honest Im sick to my back teeth of our F**king goverment taking the little things away we are actually getting value on to show that they are making a diffence.

I very rarely buy alcohol In the supermarket but this is just another away of taxing the normal working person that might buy cheap bottles of hino because they cant afford to go to the Pub.

TAX TAX AND MORE TAX = BIG WAGES FOR THE MEMBERS OF THE DAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fitz1011

so how much would a naggin of vodka go up??:(

• Advertisement

Does the minimum price apply to 6 packs / trays ?

ie. is it per can or per tray ?

Back in the day one of the measures against cigarettes was to remove the 10 pack.

As far as I am aware it will effect trays and 6 packs.
    The newspaper story said that for every 1 pint of alcohol it will have to be 1.10. Providing thats true that means if you can get a 6 pack now for 6 euro. It will become 6.60 when its in effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

fitz1011 wrote: »
    so how much would a naggin of vodka go up??:(

Impossible to tell at the moment.
    Exact further details are not released yet. Probably under discussion still.

The newspaper story said that for every 1 pint of alcohol it will have to be 1.10. Providing thats true that means if you can get a 6 pack now for 6 euro. It will become 6.60 when its in effect.

If thats the case then that extra 0.60 cent is going to have teens quaking in their school shoes! :pac:

Not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

Why not put up the age of consent for drinking if they are that concerned this should be a major option.

No that wont happen because its all about keeping the revenue that we have coming in from the sale of booze,and now increasing it.

No issue here lads just pure greed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mmmmm.

would I be alone in thinking that a very easy way around this would be to 'technically up the price' of one can in a shop, to say €4, but you could buy one and get three free?

Would still work out at 4 for €4?

Surely this is too simple a way of getting round it?

Also, this isn't a tax increase, its a min price increase, so the offies/retailers are the winners here, how exactly does that benefit the health care system?

Just making me more determined to spend in the north tbh.

Govt's a shower of Robbin Hoors.......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

this will be a huge mistake on behalf of the government. ever heard of prohibition you dumb asses? the border will be rife with bootleggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Who is this going to affect most?

1) People who aren't dependent on alcohol and enjoy drinking it.
    or
    2) People who are already drinking themselves into a mess, are they going to go without or put more of their income into something that's destroying them and possibly their families?

****ing unreal and disgusting stuff. Just like with the minimum prices on cigarettes all this is done for is to guarantee profits, and people try and call it campitalism, wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

I think this is brilliant! I don`t drink and I`m sick of people drinking so much.

Straight up to heaven with you then:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

See thats my point - unimaginable to most people that its possible to live without alcohol. Obviously there is a need for some measure to force people to stop drinking so much cause they aren`t going to do it themselves are they.

No one is forcing you to drink.
    But you want to force others not to drink.
    You might as well try to force people to like Westlife.
    I rarely drink these days, I don't have the time or the money and I don't even feel like it.
    I don't often drink because I don't like waking up with a hangover and suffering for three days.
    But if I went around to my neighbours and said "actually, I don't like the fact that you drink, would you please stop?", I would rightly get a smack in the head along with a friendly "Min d your own fcuking business"
    If people force you to drink, that is wrong.
    But if you force people not to drink, it is equally wrong.
    I think minimum pricing is a really retarded, lazy, half-arsed way to tackle whatever problem Ireland has.
    It will merely add booze to the list of items already smuggled into this country, which right now includes fags, diesel and drugs.
    If this comes in, I will buy my years supply in the North or France and start drinking more, out of the sheer principle of it.
    I already buy all my tobacco abroad, I am very proud to say that the Irish government has never seen a pennies revenue from my smoking.
    Because I don't support chancers, pisstakers and crooks.
    And I will gladly state this publicly and if that pisses people off, I will be delighted beyond description.

paky wrote: »
    this will be a huge mistake on behalf of the government. ever heard of prohibition you dumb asses? the border will be rife with bootleggers

Totally, markets alone across Ireland are going to have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

But isnt 23% of 1 euro 23 cent? or am i insane? :P

yep it is indeed but 1euro is the VAT inclusive price. If you divide this by 1.23 you will get the price before VAT was added which is 81.3 cent.

if it was 1 euro plus VAT, then the VAT would be 23 cent and the retail price would be 1.23 euro:)

not that it really matters to the point you were making...just me being an ass...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can get 12 x 500ml cans now for €7.99

The new price would be €11.62 , a huge jump.

Has anyone done any survey of what the kids are actually drinking, if they are buying them from off licenses and / or buying brand name drinks then it's already over €1.10 a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

tax drinkers and smokers that's what I say.

Charge em as much as we can get out of them.

The rest of us will be paying enough for their medical bills so they may as well contribute themselves. liquor barrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

Im only 18 a couple a months now and still in school (6th year) so I'm off it at the moment with Pres Sh!t so I'm not going to be effected until after June ...
    ;)
    But from speaking with a bit of knowledge about what teens will do now is that if they cant afford to go out and get 6 cans at a reasonable price they're just going to go halfs and thirds on litres of vodkas which IMO is x10 worse, because nobody drinks vodka over the space of an hour or 2. It's down the hatch and find out what you did the next morning.

And tbh these teens 14+ are going to realise soon they can get all sorts of drugs from "yokes" to "hash" for maybe cheaper at the rate there taxing alcohol.

....Has anyone done any survey of what the kids are actually drinking, if they are buying them from off licenses and / or buying brand name drinks then it's already over €1.10 a pint

This isnt about kids drinking tho. This is about making more money through VAT.
    Its 'easier' for the public to swallow a hike if its officially done out of trying to stop underage drinking. Rather than just saying they are hitting alcohol now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Are pubs really going to benefit though? Is paying a minimum of €1.10 instead of €1 a can going to make someone go to the pub instead where they'll pay anything from €3-€5 a pint?

Nope, it won't drive people to the pubs at all.

It wasn't just pricing that killed pubs, it was rude staff, prickish managers and ****e doormen that killed them.

The doormen killed the rude staff and prickish managers ? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You can get 12 x 500ml cans now for €7.99

The new price would be €11.62 , a huge jump.

Has anyone done any survey of what the kids are actually drinking, if they are buying them from off licenses and / or buying brand name drinks then it's already over €1.10 a pint

A survey ? You mean like base decisions and laws on actual facts ? Do politicians ever do stuff like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

i have never voted and i will never will vote what a disgrace our so called leaders are, im sure you all can see why, what a shower of **** we have to listen to, a guy gets a pay rise of 35000 from the guy running the country calling the shots, no wonder the country will never get out of this, also any foreigner who hasnt worked here for 3 months should be sent back home.......we must bring a work visa in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

No one is forcing you to drink.
    But you want to force others not to drink.
    You might as well try to force people to like Westlife.
    I rarely drink these days, I don't have the time or the money and I don't even feel like it.
    I don't often drink because I don't like waking up with a hangover and suffering for three days.
    But if I went around to my neighbours and said "actually, I don't like the fact that you drink, would you please stop?", I would rightly get a smack in the head along with a friendly "Min d your own fcuking business"
    If people force you to drink, that is wrong.
    But if you force people not to drink, it is equally wrong.
    I think minimum pricing is a really retarded, lazy, half-arsed way to tackle whatever problem Ireland has.
    It will merely add booze to the list of items already smuggled into this country, which right now includes fags, diesel and drugs.
    If this comes in, I will buy my years supply in the North or France and start drinking more, out of the sheer principle of it.
    I already buy all my tobacco abroad, I am very proud to say that the Irish government has never seen a pennies revenue from my smoking.
    Because I don't support chancers, pisstakers and crooks.
    And I will gladly state this publicly and if that pisses people off, I will be delighted beyond description.

Right so your arguing that there is no positive externality to limiting the amount of alcohol people have access to? I would never individually tell anyone they can`t or shouldn`t drink - I usually fall on the side of protecting peoples personal choices but in this instance it does affect other people and society as a whole. Particularly children who`s parents are alcoholics. Alcohol is causing serious problems here and your burying your head in the sand if you say otherwise.

You know what as far as I`m concerned drink yourself to death for all I care but I don`t want to smell it of your breath as you stumble into me in the street, or don`t spill your drink on me if I`m in the pub/disco. I don`t want you to take up a doctors or nurses time in a hospital while I sit waiting and I don`t want to see children with black eyes or not attending school so they have no chance but to turn out badly before they`ve even started life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Potin and home brew kits will make a big comeback and the kits will be perfected just like like home grown cannabis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

baldymac wrote: »
    i have never voted and i will never will vote what a disgrace our so called leaders are, im sure you all can see why, what a shower of **** we have to listen to, a guy gets a pay rise of 35000 from the guy running the country calling the shots, no wonder the country will never get out of this, also any foreigner who hasnt worked here for 3 months should be sent back home.......we must bring a work visa in here.

It's not the foreigners causing the problem its people who don't take an interest in their own country and refuse to vote and then bitch about how things are run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

horsemeat wrote: »
    tax drinkers and smokers that's what I say.

Charge em as much as we can get out of them.

The rest of us will be paying enough for their medical bills so they may as well contribute themselves. liquor barrons.
    People who die from smoking or drink generally pay a lot more in taxes over years than they cost in medical care. When they die they die quick! Its the old people that linger on for ages slowly decling and costing a bomb! Tax old age?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If ever you wanted a prime example of an Irish solution to an Irish problem, you've got it right there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm sure it will eventually cross the governments mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Great thread Biggins!

Some interesting reading and no mistake!

Advertisement