Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

amacachi wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16758609

I'd love to know where they're getting 2 litre bottles of 7% cider at that price!

I buy loads of cider up north. You can get 2 litres of 6% cider in Tesco for £1.80. Cans of Strongbow are usually on offer for 50p.

I can't see how they'll be allowed to lift the price of alcohol in the north to the same price as here. There's far too much of a difference. it could be cheaper to drink in Wetherspoons than go to the offy. Plus wages are much lower up there. There would be outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

May be they will go for a cross border tax:rolleyes: ala New Springfield/Old Springfield. 50% extra for any of us from down south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

bijapos wrote: »
    You can buy a crate of cheap beer in Germany (20x 0,5l bottles) for €7, or a crate of quality beer for €12, a 0,33 can in Lidl in Spain is 20 cents, but for some reason they don't have the same problem of widespread teen drinking that we have here. Why?

16 year olds can legally buy beer in Germany so unless their drinking is excessive and/or leads to misbehaviour it is not by default regarded as a "problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Thats not going to work. The new minimum prices for alcohol are being introduced on an all island basis, both north and south.

Ministers James Reilly and Roisin Shorthall met Minister Edwin Poots recently to agree on the min pricing for alcohol. They are to agree a price soon. It will be happening i think. No bad thing either.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0127/1224310810349.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Dear god we are actually being expected to pay for things in life.....Perish the thought!

If your biggest worry in life is the price of your next pint then you really have little to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Dear god we are actually being expected to pay for things in life.....Perish the thought!

If your biggest worry in life is the price of your next pint then you really have little to worry about.

Paying too much for things is just wrong. It has been happening for years in this country and people are fed up with it. There's a difference between paying for something and being ripped off constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Predalien wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't see EU law preventing minimum pricing on alcohol, it's a measure which could be easily justified on health grounds.

They had it on cigarettes and lost a court case about it. It depressed me that governments are still happy to do things they know they're not allowed to in the knowledge that it'll take years for anything to be done about it. At that point the prices will have been at a certain level for so long I doubt they'd come tumbling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Some worry about the price of the pint after they have paid their other bills.

Mortgage
    Gas
    ESB
    Household Charge
    Water Rates

An increase in the price of a pint wont affect you so much because you dont have to worry about the costs above because you still live with mammy and daddy.

Not everyone enjoys that luxury.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

woodoo wrote: »
    Ministers James Reilly and Roisin Shorthall met Minister Edwin Poots recently to agree on the min pricing for alcohol. They are to agree a price soon. It will be happening i think. No bad thing either.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0127/1224310810349.html[/QUOTE]

Here is a quote from Roisin Shortall

“Problem drinkers and young drinkers are very price-sensitive and for them there is a very direct correlation between price and levels of consumption,” said Ms Shortall.

Anyone who thinks problem drinkers are very price sensitive is deluded.

woodoo wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0127/1224310810349.html[/QUOTE]

“Problem drinkers and young drinkers are very price-sensitive and for them there is a very direct correlation between price and levels of consumption,” said Ms Shortall.

Anyone who thinks problem drinkers are very price sensitive is deluded.

It's either disgraceful ignorance or they know they're lying. Alcoholics aren't going to suddenly stop drinking, they'll have the same amount of alcohol leaving less to spend on their neglected kids etc.

Ugh, lying arseholes.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »

It's either disgraceful ignorance or they know they're lying. Alcoholics aren't going to suddenly stop drinking, they'll have the same amount of alcohol leaving less to spend on their neglected kids etc.

Ugh, lying arseholes.

I would love for Vinny Brown or someone to ask her for the studies that back up that claim.

Smoking rates have increased at a time when cigarettes are more expensive than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I would love for Vinny Brown or someone to ask her for the studies that back up that claim.

Smoking rates have increased at a time when cigarettes are more expensive than ever.

I'd love for someone just to ask her for her logic behind it. It's pretty obvious I would've thought.

Yet another example of an out of touch government brining in ridiculous legislation in a bid to appear to be doing something. It reminds me of the ban on replica swords. It's nothing more than a smoke screen (much like a very public arrest this week) to give the impression that this government is actually doing something. The closing of odd licenses at 10pm has been nothing short of a failure, all it has resulted in is people purchasing greater quantities of alcohol pre10pm. Expecting people to pay 4 or 5 euro for a can of beer is ludicrous, why should myself and the vast majority of the rest of the population be punished because a small percentage of the country has an alcohol addiction problem? Likewise why should we be punished because young people are able to acquire drink? Surely the government would be far better off educating teenagers about the issue or better yet, take a leaf out of other European countries and lower the drinking age. Education and responsible drinking are what the government should be trying to teaching both young and old not introducing draconian legislation which punishes those of use who take responsibility for our own actions.

There was a tragedy in the town I come from a few years back where a young lad, think he was 18 got so drunk that he ended up drowning in the river. His father has been on the radio numerous occasions over the past months talking in support of this proposed bill. Now in the interviews the father speaks about how his son would go out and drink far more then he was capable of handling on a regular basis but that there was little he could do to stop him. There's many places you can lay blame, and his parents have but at the end of the day you have to eventually look at yourself and your own failings. it's very easy to sit back and blame everything from the price to his friends to society but another thing entirely to accept any responsibility. And responsibility is something the most people in this country are happy to ignore in favor of blaming anyone and everything they can but themselves.

Yet another example of an out of touch government brining in ridiculous legislation in a bid to appear to be doing something. It reminds me of the ban on replica swords. It's nothing more than a smoke screen (much like a very public arrest this week) to give the impression that this government is actually doing something. The closing of odd licenses at 10pm has been nothing short of a failure, all it has resulted in is people purchasing greater quantities of alcohol pre10pm. Expecting people to pay 4 or 5 euro for a can of beer is ludicrous, why should myself and the vast majority of the rest of the population be punished because a small percentage of the country has an alcohol addiction problem? Likewise why should we be punished because young people are able to acquire drink? Surely the government would be far better off educating teenagers about the issue or better yet, take a leaf out of other European countries and lower the drinking age. Education and responsible drinking are what the government should be trying to teaching both young and old not introducing draconian legislation which punishes those of use who take responsibility for our own actions.

There was a tragedy in the town I come from a few years back where a young lad, think he was 18 got so drunk that he ended up drowning in the river. His father has been on the radio numerous occasions over the past months talking in support of this proposed bill. Now in the interviews the father speaks about how his son would go out and drink far more then he was capable of handling on a regular basis but that there was little he could do to stop him. There's many places you can lay blame, and his parents have but at the end of the day you have to eventually look at yourself and your own failings. it's very easy to sit back and blame everything from the price to his friends to society but another thing entirely to accept any responsibility. And responsibility is something the most people in this country are happy to ignore in favor of blaming anyone and everything they can but themselves.

Substitute cannabis for alcohol in this piece and you will see what the otherwise law-abiding no-trouble cannabis partakers has been dealing with for decades.
    The government have it so wrong on so many levels...... but continue to lie.

Some worry about the price of the pint after they have paid their other bills.

Mortgage
    Gas
    ESB
    Household Charge
    Water Rates

An increase in the price of a pint wont affect you so much because you dont have to worry about the costs above because you still live with mammy and daddy.

Not everyone enjoys that luxury.

Of course not. But if you find yourself struggling with bills, then surely drink should be last on the list of your priorities.

And will you please get over the fact that I still live at home. I can't afford to move out. Stop getting on your high horses about it.....I was without work for ages and Mammy and Daddy are the only reason I haven't ended up on the street

And will you please get over the fact that I still live at home.
    I can't afford to move out.

Why's that?

I was without work for ages

Why's that?

Of course not. But if you find yourself struggling with bills, then surely drink should be last on the list of your priorities.

And will you please get over the fact that I still live at home. I can't afford to move out. Stop getting on your high horses about it.....I was without work for ages and Mammy and Daddy are the only reason I haven't ended up on the street

Many people are struggling with bills, doesn't mean that they can't look forward to a cold glass of beer every now and again. After rent and bills are paid and food is bought I have very little money left over at the end of a week but I do enjoy a Saturday night spent at home with a nice home cooked mean, a good film and a cold glass of beer. Why should I have to give up a simple pleasure because a small minority of the population cannot control or wont take responsibility for their actions.

mikom wrote: »
    Why's that?

Why's that?

Stay out of my private life thanks, I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone.

Many people are struggling with bills, doesn't mean that they can't look forward to a cold glass of beer every now and again. After rent and bills are paid and food is bought I have very little money left over at the end of a week but I do enjoy a Saturday night spent at home with a nice home cooked mean, a good film and a cold glass of beer. Why should I have to give up a simple pleasure because a small minority of the population cannot control or wont take responsibility for their actions.

Of course you shouldn't.

I just think in a recession there are more important things to worry about thats all.

• Advertisement

Stay out of my private life thanks, I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone.

Fair enough.

Funnily enough your reply sounds vaguely like the collective roar heard from many houses who will be unable to cope with the household and septic tank charges.....

mikom wrote: »
    Fair enough.

Funnily enough your reply sounds vaguely like the collective roar heard from many houses who will be unable to cope with the household and septic tank charges.....

What :confused:

I just asked you to keep your nose out of my personal affairs.....I mentioned nothing about charges of any sort......

I just find it ironic that someone who does live at home, presumably rent free and does not have to pay the new charges can ask why people protest and come out with statements like:

I just find it ironic that someone who does live at home, presumably rent free and does not have to pay the new charges can ask why people protest and come out with statements like:

Don't presume to know anything about me and leave my personal life out of it.....its's no business of yours and does not mean I am not entitled to comment.

I repeat....get over it.

Of course you shouldn't.

I just think in a recession there are more important things to worry about thats all.

Yes there are many more important things to worry about but that doesn't mean that we let the small things go. This is a blatant act of Orwellian style control, limit the publics ability to purchase an item by pricing it out of their range. What of the long term effects of this law, surely VAT collected will fall as a result of this, the very thing we don't want to happen in a recession.

Don't presume to know anything about me and leave my personal life out of it.....its's no business of yours and does not mean I am not entitled to comment.

I repeat....get over it.

Sorry for referring to your personal circumstances which you posted online.

Of course you are entitled to comment.
    If the irony of your comment is lost on you then lets just leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I repeat....get over it.

Damm straight.

Sorry for referring to your personal circumstances which you posted online.

Of course you are entitled to comment.
    If the irony of your comment is lost on you then lets just leave it at that.

What irony?

I said I lived at home......I don't mind admitting that, I just don't see why I should have to justify or explain anything to any of you.

Drop arrogant self righteous attitude will you....it does you no favours.

What irony?

I said I lived at home......I don't mind admitting that, I just don't see why I should have to justify or explain anything to any of you.

Drop arrogant self righteous attitude will you....it does you no favours.

Well then why ask people to justify and expalin things to you?

Like your thread Why the need for constant protesting.

I think judging by your posts you win in the self righteous stakes.

• Advertisement

Well then why ask people to justify and expalin things to you?

Like your thread Why the need for constant protesting.

I think judging by your posts you win in the self righteous stakes.

I give up :rolleyes:

Let's just leave it there.

Advertisement