Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its one of those taxes I have control over, I am not fooled I know the primary reason for this tax is government revenue, but I know thw trouble the Irish exchequer is in and I know it has to raise revenue.

I would rather they got it from sales in Supermarket alcohol, of which I don't have a choice to buy, then take it out of my wage in increased PAYE of which I have no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Don Booker

mikom wrote: »
    So pseudo-prohibition.
    Sounds good, seeing as how well alcohol prohibition worked in the United states.
    It worked well for a time. Maybe a few weeks. They didn't replace it with something else and that's why it failed. Al Capone and JFK's old man were brewers and runners.
    And one cant really say it has had any benefit to any society apart from use as a disaffected. In medicine, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don Booker wrote: »
    And one cant really say it has had any benefit to any society apart from use as a disaffected. In medicine, like.

Disaffected youth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If anyone wants to know why I think attempts to lower alcohol consumption in Ireland are a good thing

Surely theyre only a good thing if theyre likely to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Why don't they just reduce the legal drinking age to 16. That will cut the under-age drinking figure and generate a new source of revenue that they're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sheeps wrote: »
    Why don't they just reduce the legal drinking age to 16. That will cut the under-age drinking figure and generate a new source of revenue that they're looking for.
    Boom. That's the kind of blue-sky thinking that we need in this recession. Give this man a junior minister's spot asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Sheeps wrote: »
    Why don't they just reduce the legal drinking age to 16.

IIRC In Germany they have different legal ages for buying beer and spirits.

Sounds more sensible really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    IIRC In Germany they have different legal ages for buying beer and spirits.

Sounds more sensible really ?

Just like it is in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Boom. That's the kind of blue-sky thinking that we need in this recession. Give this man a junior minister's spot asap.

Thinking outside the bottle?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This won't affect me as any beer I buy far exceeds the proposed minimum prices. Despite this, I'm completely against the proposed law. If people want to drink then by all means they should be allowed, and to whatever extent they choose. Government should not be trying to create barriers, they don't work and never had. Prohibition never works, education is the key.

I know the dangers of alcohol abuse and hence I only drink maybe 2/3 times per month. If others want to drink themselves into an early grave then they shouldn't be stopped from doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Don Booker

mikom wrote: »
    Disaffected youth?

No like domestos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

So I can expect to see less of a bedraggled lynch appearing at my door like fortycoats with a six pack of the dutch gold ? yay...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I've a better way to combat this:

1. Don't sell to people who are already drunk.
    2. Ask EVERYONE for ID for alcohol purchases.
    It might sound crazy, but it just might work...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

see ye all in newry...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This won't affect me as any beer I buy far exceeds the proposed minimum prices.
    If the base price goes up what do you think will happen to the price of premium beer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So if there was an identical tasting non alcoholic version of your favourite drink would you drink it? Somehow I doubt it.

I do. What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Recommendations include:
    • End to sponsorship of sport and large events by 2016.
    • Increase price of alcohol so it becomes less affordable (increase tax, excist etc...).
    • Minimum pricing/cost per gramme of alcohol.
    • No savings on multiple purchases (no more 10 bottles for €10).
    • Advertising prohibition.
    • Social responsibility levy on drinks industry.

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/pdf/Steering_Group_Report_NSMS.pdf?direct=1

All the above, and all the rest of the recommendations, are actually quite funny when you consider that the very first line in Chapter 1 of the Report states:

"While recognising that individuals are primarily responsible for their own behaviour..."

Well, if you really believed that then there wouldn't be a need for this report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It'd drive ya to drink so it would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Quick alcoholics! Stock up before it's too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

A sobering prospect indeed!:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Newry here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol

you think anyone is gonna read a 94 page pdf

gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

yay the nanny state to the rescue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Why don't they try and sort out... oh I don't know... the ****ing economy! before this meaningless crap!!! Idiots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

and this after we drop to 15th on drinking table? or was it 10th?

either way this is surely limiting or ability to preform on the world stage again and we will just be a laughing stock as all our tourists over for the craic have to carry us home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its just going to push people over the border to stock up and sell it on the cheap and then we will have to poor vintners in the paper saying they are losing money to illegal sellers and then a tax sponsered crakdown that will cost more money and in the end it will change nothing but the quality of life for poor families subsidising an alcoholic or two.

and ffs if we don't get value on multipacks who the funk is gonna spend €10 for 6 cans of dutch or Bavaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Newry here we come!
    +1
    I wonder does the government realise the amount of VAT and excise that stupid measures (haha see what I did there) like this cause.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1
    I wonder does the government realise the amount of VAT and excise that stupid measures (haha see what I did there) like this cause.

well i for one always tried to do all my shopping in town (letterkenny) but things like this annoy me so much that taking an hour or 2 on a Saturday to do a trip to strabane and Asda is making more and more sense, so thats most of my wage now going over the border instead of Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

NEWSFLASH.

Government cure worse than disease.

Special interests say disease is 'good for you'.

Advertisement