Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...I'd imagine this move to put a minimum price on alcohol was welcomed heartily by plenty of $pecial interest$.

I'd personally suspect they instigated this crap and so the government could should it on the public, is spinning it as something else.

I could be wrong but I can't see it as making a blind bit of difference - well except to a state bank account somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd imagine this move to put a minimum price on alcohol was welcomed heartily by plenty of $pecial interest$.

Don't be so cynical, they're doing it for our own good, for health reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i think labour and fg don't want to be re-elected lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A lot of the politicians are publicans so we know why they are doing this

so the day that this is brought in all right minded people boycott all pubs until

they reverse this bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Paparazzo wrote: »

I'm sure many chronic alcoholics will see a rise of the price of Dutch Gold and throw in the towel and become productive members of society.

Either that or progress to Meths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm sure many chronic alcoholics will see a rise of the price of Dutch Gold and throw in the towel and become productive members of society.

Either that or progress to Meths.

OR crime

I can see incidents of shoplifting possibly rising in slight number!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Home brewing will certainly increase. I know a guy who does it and his beer genuinely tastes better than almost anything you'll get off a shelf in Dublin. I would be tempted to brew my own no matter how cheap it was in the shops but now it'll become a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

These guys are idiots and don't have a clue what they are doing... they don't live in the real world, it's the same approach as they have towards SOPA, they are getting paid to spout retrograde and prohibitive nonsense .

If you look at countries on the med, the people there do not have a problem with drink as apparently the whole of the Republic of Ireland do. But wait a second, stop the press, drink is cheap over there as well, so what gives? Well, for a start they have a way more relaxed culture, they see drink as a pleasure and don't seek to make it a criminal offence for doing so a and the government don't instill ridicolous and counter-productive legislation that has a opressive affect over the people.

Some people over here drink way too much over here on a night out, as they want to get as much into them within a limited time period with the leigslation to close all Off-licencess by 10 and restrict pubs and clubs by making them have to stop serving alcohol by a certain time, clubs here close at the latest at 3:30, people who will go for pre-drinks, drink more in the house before they go out because of shorter closing times in off-licences and clubs... not a relaxed culture at all..

They should look further afield and take sensible approaches to promote an enjoyable, sensible and non-prohibitive way of dealing with it... instead of bowing down to the lobbies whose prime interest is to make more money rather than the welfare of our people here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Paparazzo wrote: »

I stand down and adopt your stance, Sir.
    Nevurr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I can see the big supermarkets taking legal action - well I hope they do!!
    What about this Government order?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0319/groceries.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Never thought id say this but thank god for the border lol il be off to stock up shortly

Never thought id say this but thank god for the border lol il be off to stock up shortly

You better read back a few posts.
    They are adjusting the prices on both sides of the border so that they are more equal.

Biggins wrote: »

You better read back a few posts.
    They are adjusting the prices on both sides of the border so that they are more equal.

Ah crap really, i jumped from page 1 to a reply! Il google home brewing

You and I both.
    If only so that the VFI and the government can go get stuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Won't somebody please think of the publicans ?!?????

Oh.....wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jesus christ, everytime I see proposed legislation like this from our elected fúckwits I feel like driving a fork into my eye. Its the same prohibition bollox the whole fúcking time and it achieves absolutely nothing. It just punishes the decent people for the behaviour of cúnts.

People will continue to act the arsehole with drink as long as the law protects them when they do. Sure, its an offence to be drunk and disorderly but when some pleb beats the sh!te out of someone/smashes up a shop front/rapes someone/sets fire to their grandmother while drunk it becomes part of their excuse for leniency. "Oh it wasn't me your honour, it was the drink" "Ah sure thats ok then, throw a few bob in the court piss up fund poor box, case dismissed"

As long as we keep this attitude we haven't a hope of rectifying the problems.

What fking difference does it make whether a can costs €1 or €1.50 ? If you want to drink you'll drink regardless of the price. The real issue isn't the price , it's the behaviour of people when drunk that is the real problem.

Heres some proposals for the government:

Booze busses- have a bus ready and waiting on friday and saturday nights to take drunk eejits to a special sitting of the district court in the morning. Cuffs on, "GETINTHEBACKOFTHEVAN!!!" Night in the cells, in court with a splitting hangover, big fine, you wont be in a hurry to do that again.

Make fines for drink related offences relative to the income of the accused. If you're on the dole well now you're on food vouchers for a while, If you're on €100k a year well you'll be forking over the price of your Jag.

If someone is well over the limit drink driving then dont just take the license, take the car too.

If someone commits an offence while drunk then instead of reducing the penalty INCREASE IT! Slap on 6 months for the perpetrator allowing himself to get into such a state of intoxication that he lost his senses.

End the fking ridiculous closing hours we have here. If people could go and have a drink at their own pace when they wanted there would be less double and treble rounds at closing time and the boloxology that goes with it.

If underage people are caught commiting the offence NAME THEM and their Parents!! Shame is a fabulous deterrent.

Make people actually responsible for their actions instead of letting them blame the drink. No more fúcking excuses "Oh he comes from a bad background/ is trying to turn his life around/ girlfriend has hairy legs" Its all bollox. The drink didnt make you into an arsehole, it just removed the disguise of non arseholeness you were wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Biggins wrote: »
    You and I both.
    If only so that the VFI and the government can go get stuffed!

Ssssssh lads. For forks sake keep yer voices down!
    They'll only end up taxing the balls of home brew kits tooi y'know! ;)

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ssssssh lads. For forks sake keep yer voices down!
    They'll only end up taxing the balls of home brew kits tooi y'know! ;)

Aaa... Crap, I never thought of that! O' bugger! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I just hate the way they bull**** us with this tax by saying it's for health reasons ect ect.
    It hasn't worked with cigarettes it's not going to work with alcohol.
    If they really wanted to do something to Alcohol for health reasons why don't they for example make beer contain a maximum of 3% Alcohol.

Oh well, if they're going to start taxing the living **** out of something Alcohol is the right way to go I suppose.

I wonder will it be worth ordering a bottle of vodka online after all the increases come into play...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I wonder will it be worth ordering a bottle of vodka online after all the increases come into play...

I don't know but An Post wouldn't last 3 hours if everyone started ordering their drink online.

If deceased American George Washington was alive again and lived in Ireland, I wonder how he would have reacted to this constant government crap!

Some of his words gives me a hint!

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/7346/washington.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Doesn't go far enough.

Alcohol should be priced at €10 per unit minimum.

A stringent licencing process should be adopted for the purchase as well as the sale of alcohol.

Too many people in this country are not responsible enough to either consume or sell drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Somehow in every other European country, you can buy wine in the supermarket or a beer in a cafe. But in Ireland we're different, so we'll have to skulk along in shame to an off licence, where we can buy the government mandated ration of alcohol.

It makes absolutely no sense, and merely makes the life of the ordinary person more difficult to avoid a social problem caused by a few. If the guards got the fingers out, and if we stuck a drunktank into our hospitals we'd solve the problem in the morning.

When is this breach on my human rights supposed to come into law?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Too many people in this country are not responsible enough to either consume or sell drink.
    And in response you collectively punish everyone?

Some people are too stupid to drive, should we ban cars or force everyone to drive with a man with a red flag walking in front of them?

Doesn't go far enough.

A stringent licencing process should be adopted for the purchase as well as the sale of alcohol.

I disagree.

Firstly, why should a possible vast majority be forced to cough-up because of the antics of a few?

Secondly, pricing alcohol at €10 per unit alone is really going to help the tourist industry as well as other businesses.

I think an answer lies in making the far over drunken transgressors be more penalised in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Day trips to Wales could become popular again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Doesn't go far enough.

Checks username.

How's about back to fcuking Saudi/Afghanistan or whatever friggin middle aged country you originate from:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

hmmm wrote: »
    And in response you collectively punish everyone?

Some people are too stupid to drive, should we ban cars or force everyone to drive with a man with a red flag walking in front of them?
    Yes, yes we should.:)

The problem with the world nowadays is people have too much freedom, maybe if we took away some of these 'rights' we would be in a much better place.

Advertisement