Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

later10 wrote: »
    Then stamp out underage drinking you daft bint. €3 extra on the price of cheap vodka isn't going to stop some kid from buying it, it just makes the thing more expensive for everyone.

I cannot believe that any member of our parliament, with the exception of Mick Wallace, could be such a buffoon.

I agree - but you and I know that the kid is just going to find an extra €3 or whatever it goes up!

Stupidity!

...Well, except for those that will profit from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I agree with the min pricing. But NI would need to come on board too like Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The cheapest cans of beer I have seen are €1 a pop so now it's going to €1.10 - big fcukin' deal!

Also it's hardly a tax increase as the excise has not gone up any further on alcohol.

It's only a few pence on paint stripper beer - just deal with it and move on.

woodoo wrote: »
    ...NI would need to come on board too like Scotland.

Even if they did - would they still be cheaper than south of the border?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Between this and the VAT hike me and many others will be back to Enniskillen for the "big shop" I would imagine

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    ...It's only a few pence on paint stripper beer - just deal with it and move on.

Thats just it also in a way, summed up.
    It could be seen by some as just another form of tax/levy for someone to profit from - someone that is not the public who is coughing up more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Biggins wrote: »
    Even if they did - would they still be cheaper than south of the border?

Scotland's min price of 45p and we are proposing 55c.

woodoo wrote: »
    Scotland's min price of 45p and we are proposing 55c.

That would be on top of the previous price?
    ...So if their previous price was still cheaper than our previous price - would they across the border (even with a further increase), still be cheaper?

I don't know myself - which is why I ask genuinely.

Someone good with maths and knowing current drink prices in NI might be able to answer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Like fcuk does this have anything to do with "young people". The vintners have been campaigning the govt for ages because their pubs can't compete with supermarket prices.
    I suppose this "minimum" may affect them somehow, but I suppose the price of a pint is still higher than their minimum

This whole thing is so, so stupid. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It only affects the price of cheap alcohol sold in the off-trade, such

as supermarkets. The vast majority of drinks sold in pubs and licensed premises is sold at a price well above the level a minimum price is likely to be set.

Alcohol-related harms cost the healthcare system
    1.2bn, while

alcohol-related crime costs
    1.2bn.
    • Moderate drinkers, i.e. those who drink within low

risk limits, are least affected
    • Heavy drinkers, along with children and
    young people, are particularly affected
    • Small, independent retailers and off-licences put
    on a level playing field with large multiple retailers
    • It is likely that the decline in the volume of alcohol
    sales will be more than offset by the unit/gram
    price increase resulting in an overall increase in
    profit for retailers
    • Large retailers can raise alcohol prices to
    the minimum price without running the risk
    of losing customers to competitors*

Here is a link with more

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=alcohol%20facts%20about%20ireland%202011&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CC4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Falcoholireland.ie%2Falcohol-facts%2Fminimum-pricing-gettting-the-facts-right%2F&ei=gd8JT8-WFIG3hQfPrpmPCQ&usg=AFQjCNG68Eil0pMFXYovBhh9apiLsHoQ4g

:oThat above post/link came out arseways :o

realies wrote: »
    :oThat above post/link came our arseways :o

Kinky! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Id say 30-50% of the Irish population from 16+ has a serious problem with alcohol.

Bullshit.
    If you've went out to a pub recently and counted how many of your mates consume more than 4/5 pints in an evening, you'd understand we have a very big problem that affects more than just a small minority.

So consuming 4/5 pints once or twice a week is a problem?

More bullshit.

Min pricing affects people on low incomes, the dole, pensions etc more than anyone else so it's also an attack on the less well off.

The people who think this is a good idea are like slaves who are glad of their chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Well i can assure you the drinking culture for people between 17-25 in Dublin is very very different. The average male student would go out and consume the equivalent of 6-8 pints in a night with a good percentage consuming considerably more combining spirits etc. So there is a serious issue here. And perhaps it doesn't impact the older generation as much.

I do honestly think increasing base price could deter people from buying the quantity of drink they do at the moment. And i think its a small price to pay for the older generation to see the youth of Ireland start to deal with the alcohol problem.

Obviously many more measures are necessary in combination with this measure.

You can assure me? If it's such a serious issue there's bound to be studies to back up these statements of yours, I'd like to see these facts for myself. Otherwise please quit spouting your non factual opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

DarkJager wrote: »
    Pack of short sighted ****ing imbeciles. They changed off licence closing times to 10pm because of teenagers and guess what, people are now forced to buy their drink earlier and teens are still drinking. I'm not sure what they see this increase doing, pocket money is a thing of the past and these kids have money now to buy it if they want it.

I'm sick of having my rights infringed for the sake of some spotty faced ****ing geeks who can't hande more than a can. Not to mention that every sweaty fat publican **** is rubbing his hands with glee at this.

The change in closing times had nothing to do with teenagers, that was just media spin. It was all about forcing people to drink in pubs.

This new measure also has little to do with curbing underage drinking and is all about getting rid of cheap drink in supermarkets which is really hurting publicans. If it were really about underage drinking they could introduce targeted measures like compulsory labelling all items with the place of purchase.

Publicans have failed to adopt to the new reality of the marketplace and rather than embrace changes that are required have adopted the stance of the music industry - seeking regulation to prop up a failing business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The change in closing times had nothing to do with teenagers, that was just media spin. It was all about forcing people to drink in pubs.

This new measure also has little to do with curbing underage drinking and is all about getting rid of cheap drink in supermarkets which is really hurting publicans. If it were really about underage drinking they could introduce targeted measures like compulsory labelling all items with the place of purchase.

Publicans have failed to adopt to the new reality of the marketplace and rather than embrace changes that are required have adopted the stance of the music industry - seeking regulation to prop up a failing business model.
    Exactly.
    Load of BS is what this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Let Shortall have her fun

She will be out of a job after the next election

What does she care? She'll presumably have Ministerial pension and TD pension for the rest of the life to soften the blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm not a big drinker but this is ridiculous. Nothing will stop underage drinking totally. There is nothing in local areas for the youth of today. Youth clubs are nonexistent and all young people have to do is walk aimlessly around and knacker drinking. Maybe if a locally run scheme was set up in each area with activities and work initiatives for our youth the problem of underage drinking wouldn't be so prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

This country has a serious problem with drink. That is not in dispute.

Minimum pricing will not solve this. Its a cultural problem born out of the political set up.

Is it any wonder that when you elect school teachers and publicans to high office that they then look to take care of their own!!

Michael McDowell, who i was never a fan off btw, had one piece of very good legislation quickly shelved by the powers that be.
    He wanted to destroy the vintners grasp on the drink market and introduce a more European style cafe bar license. It didn't get very far!!

Also what is their for young people in estates. There is more golf courses in ireland then playgrounds! says alot imo.

• Advertisement

Very well said. :)

The following is from the time of the previous government but I think its gives an indication as to where some TD's loyalties lie in relation to this matter!

See: http://www.soldiersofdestiny.org/tddrinklobbyscandal.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

At this stage you could sum up Ireland as follows

Ignorant and irresponsible ****wits (politicians, bankers, developers, underage drinkers, drink drivers, over-borrowers, whatever) make a balls of stuff

The government - instead of dealing with the actual problem - implement a "solution" that ensures that the sensible moderate decent folk get punished and have their rights and income commandeered.

I had come to expect this of FF, but FG have betrayed my vote and are a disgrace.

P.S. I wonder how much prices in the Dáil Bar will go up by ? I suspect by nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I dont like this but it will curb my drinkin!

I can bottle of vodka and mixer for 20 quid makes a night in. If they jack this i will think about it again cos i aint got the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its purely a move for the publicans. If it was for the public coffers they would have increased duty. I suppose a minimum price will increase profit per unit, therefore increasing tax liability, but as far as I can see, this is purely to benefit one particular lobby group. Now if only that group could push for decent opening hours!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The government - instead of dealing with the actual problem - implement a "solution" that ensures that the sensible moderate decent folk get punished and have their rights and income commandeered.

The 'cures' governments come up with are almost always worse than the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Raising the age to 21 and enforcing it is the only way to improve things. Increasing prices and reducing opening hours is a waste of time.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    At this stage you could sum up Ireland as follows

Ignorant and irresponsible ****wits (politicians, bankers, developers, underage drinkers, drink drivers, over-borrowers, whatever) make a balls of stuff

I had come to expect this of FF, but FG have betrayed my vote and are a disgrace.

P.S. I wonder how much prices in the Dáil Bar will go up by ? I suspect by nothing.

Its only off licences and supermarkets liam, It does not effect Pubs,Clubs or restaurants.Dont know what I think of it myself,will have to leave it settle for a while ;)

The 'cures' governments come up with are almost always worse than the disease.

Aye, its like trying to kill a fly on the wall.
    Instead of using a swatter, they are using a cannonball!
    Destroying more than they are supposed to be doing in intention!

Are they listening or learning? Are they heck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

When I was a teenager,I drank whatever I could get.The same went for just about everyone I knew.Back then there was feck all else to do and despite the Celtic Tiger coming and going,the situation is the same for teenagers today.

Minimum prices will just mean that teenagers will become more creative in how they get drunk,nothing changes.We had feck all cash as teenagers yet found enough to get drunk on a weekend.I'm older now and put all that down to life experience-didn't turn me into an alchoholic nor any of my friends.

This whole big brother thing annoys me,most of us can enjoy a few drinks responsibly,the bums on the street caressing a can of Dutch will always do the same no matter what price it is.Despite all the below cost offers in supermarkets I've never seen any of the local beer fiends stocking up,it's the usual 2 or 3 cans at a time or whatever they can afford.
    These moral guardians would be better served getting out of their ivory towers and speaking to the people on the street before telling them what to do.FFS Brian Cowen was the poster boy for drinking culture but then again he can afford it.

Advertisement