Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

woodoo wrote: »
    It will affect how often they drink though if they don't have the money. It won't stop them getting smashed but it will stop them getting smashed 2 or 3 times a week.

So it wont fix the problem just make it happen less often, would make much more sense to enforce the laws that we have regarding underage drinking.

Saying that the best thing is to make booze too expensive for teenagers basically admits that the goverment have no intention of doing anything constructive, e.g. other amenities aimed at underage drinkers or education.

The underlying problem still exists and a price increase will do nothing to change this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

Biggins wrote: »

the only ones i would drink from that list is heineken and stella the rest is pure piss,galahead and st bernards lager LMAO.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dumb f**kers. I can see the black market getting more customers, and probably more deaths by alcohol poisoning by home-made booze.
    bijapos wrote: »
    then kids might have somewhere else to go rather than sitting in clumps of trees knacker drinking
    Agreed 100% !
    Id say 30-50% of the Irish population from 16+ has a serious problem with alcohol.
    Most kids who drink at 16 know their limit fairly shortly. A limited supply of drink will do this. The ones who start drinking at 18 will start drinking with only money as a limit, and often don't remember enough of the previous night to know how much is too much. How alcohol is introduced at a younger age at home in Europe seems to stop this epidemic of OMG-I'm-18-I-have-to-drink-as-much-as-possible!
    You not for one second think it is possible that a raise in price might make some 14 year old buy 4 cans instead of 6?
    Bottle of vodka instead of between a few youths instead of a few cans would most likely do more damage.
    If you've went out to a pub recently and counted how many of your mates consume more than 4/5 pints in an evening, you'd understand we have a very big problem that affects more than just a small minority.
    Most of my mates now drink in houses. List of things people can do on a Saturday night:

Watch TV
    Play computer games
    Cinema and then drink
    Drink
    Erm... apart from that, unless you live in near a large city, is all there is to do in most villages and towns. It's not the attitude to drink that has to change, it's the culture of having nothing but a pub to goto to meet other people.
    Yes and i would put my hands up and say i am a binge drinker, and every single one of my friends, their friends etc are also binge drinkers and i realise there is a real issue.
    Ah, so your view is slightly biased?
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    So you are a binge drinker, do you think when this minimum pricing comes in, that will change as a result?
    I'm thinking they have no self control, and need the government to nanny them?

bassy wrote: »
    the only ones i would drink from that list is heineken and stella the rest is pure piss,galahead and st bernards lager LMAO.................................

Not a wine drinker myself so can't comment on them but you could be right about the rest.

I know Tesco's do 24 Bottles of the likes of Budwiser/etc for €15.
    Each of those bottles holds 300 ml - if they add on 55c per unit, anyone good at the maths as to how the prices might eventually work out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Simply impose massive fines on off licences who are caught serving underage, and parents of kids caught drinking underage. Not increase across the board.

I live in Austria, drinking age is 15, pubs open 24 hours, can buy beers, wines and spirits just about anywhere at anytime. and it's cheap, proper cheap to drink here.
    There's not a drinking problem worth discussing, yeah on weekends few lairy teenagers knocking about, but nothing major.

This is the way forward, I believe will be a messy 2/3 years if ireland relaxed the laws ....but then the novelty will wear off and it will level out.

Simply impose massive fines on off licences who are caught serving underage, and parents of kids caught drinking underage.

Those laws have been on the books for... well I don't l know how long exactly.

They have either been (I assume) sadly not enacted enough through lack of willingness/manpower - or not at all in most cases for some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Biggins wrote: »
    Those laws have been on the books for... well I don't l know how long exactly.

They have either been (I assume) sadly not enacted enough through lack ow willingness/manpower - or not at all in most cases for some other reason.

A 3 month a year task force who publicise the perpetrators and enforce huge fines will be enough of a deterrent for 90% of places to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Well thats me driving back up to newry again ffs, if they double the price on cans of beer then it would save me a fortune getting it up north as it's feck all of a drive from swords co dublin. what a dumb decision they made on this. lets all go up north and purchase our food as well up there seen that most people will be up there anyway. sick of this sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Always followed with "just buy your booze before 10 ffs!"

Well to be honest i normally say that.:D

It's always just a case of me thinking "well, you ****ing know when the place closes!".

That said, when I was a boozer I was always pretty prepared. Always beer in the fridge and a bottle of Jack in the press.

I like to be dedicated.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Didn't read the whole thread.

In fairness though, Alcohol is pretty much cheaper than bottled water.

The average bloke can get absolutely hammered on 10euro.

I like a few beers/ wine myself, but even I can see that the situation as it stands is completley insane.

I'd prefer a measure such as this is taken rather than raising income tax or the price of petrol, food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

realies wrote: »
    Based on University of Sheffield research on minimum pricing commissioned by the Scottish government
    So the article is based on the Scottish, not the Irish, but is the reason why the Irish should have their price of drink increased?
    woodoo wrote: »
    It might reduce the number of little s**tbags turning up to A & E after drinking themselves into a state.
    Agreed. They won't be able to pay the €100 ambulance charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In fairness though, Alcohol is pretty much cheaper than bottled water.
    Would that not make you realise that water is ridiculously overpriced?

It's fucking water for Christ's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Populist move with no realistic rationale behind it - much like many of the governments other policies in this area

El Weirdo wrote: »

:D

True! :pac:

Yeah, but's it's filtered through a ****ing volcano, or flown in from the Alps or some ****.

Tap water me bollix.

True. I never buy the stuff myself.

The only good thing I can say about the low prices on Booze these days, is that it might prevent kids from getting into drugs.

There's 2 sides to every arguement.

It's just that the sudden drop in alcohol prices in the last 5 years can have an awful effect here, what with the drink cultue we have & the many people here under pressure due to unemployment/money worries etc..

The only good thing I can say about the low prices on Booze these days, is that it might prevent kids from getting into drugs.
    I'm sorry, but do you realise how stupid that statement is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭token56

I agree with some people that there is a problem with the drinking culture in Ireland but this is not the way to go about fixing it.

This has feck all the do about "helping" people anyway. If raising the price of alcohol to ridiculous levels was the solution to young people doing it I'm sure it would have been done by previous governments or other countries but I dont think any evidence to show that it will work. It is quite simply another tax on people who drink to help make some extra money for our broke government.

It also penalizes any casual drinkers who might want to have a quite night in watching a movie/tv etc. I dont even drink I can see how unfair and illogical it is.

Like others have said if they are going to introduce it just have the balls to call a spade a spade and say you are introducing more taxes to get more money.

token56 wrote: »
    I agree with some people that there is a problem with the drinking culture in Ireland but this is not the way to go about fixing it.

This has feck all the do about "helping" people anyway. If raising the price of alcohol to ridiculous levels was the solution to young people doing it I'm sure it would have been done by previous governments or other countries but I dont think any evidence to show that it will work. It is quite simply another tax on people who drink to help make some extra money for our broke government.

It also penalizes any casual drinkers who might want to have a quite night in watching a movie/tv etc. I dont even drink I can see how unfair and illogical it is.

Like others have said if they are going to introduce it just have the balls to call a spade a spade and say you are introducing more taxes to get more money.

Exactly. It's a ****ing stupid mentality that has been used to drive up the price of smokes for years now....but basically it's all about a bit of coin in the coffers for the politicos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I can see the off-licences shutting down one by one in the near future theres no doubt this will affect them greatly. like i said people are just going to go up north again and i don't blame them.

I'm sorry, but do you realise how stupid that statement is?

In the late '70s the price of drink here shot up, in comparison to what it was before.

In the early '80s youngsters in Dublin started getting into Drugs.

There might be a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭token56

In the late '70s the price of drink here shot up, in comparison to what it was before.

I think the problem with your previous statement is that alcohol itself is classed as a drub and realistically is quite a harmful drug all things considered. So to say lowering the price of alcohol might prevent kids getting into drugs is an oxymoron at best.

In the late 70s people wore flared jeans.

In the early 80s people started to wear skinnier jeans.

There might be a connection there, too.

Nah, the loose legged/tight legged pants thing has always fluctuated.

60's/70's flares
    80's/early 90's tight as jeans and spandex like pants
    late 90's/early 00's, baggy jeans
    late 00's to now - skinny jeans.

There is only so much you can do with pants beyond and occasional foray into the land of shorts.

True too.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer this to happen than putting up the price of fuel or income tax or other essentials that we have no control over.

As I said before, the average bloke can get blotto on a tenner nowadays.

How is the fact that you might do the same on 15 euro in the future going to effect your life badly in the future?

We can always cut back on drinking. We don't have to do it.

They could double the price as far as I'm concerned, as long as they don't raise the price of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The issue is that they are using the pretence of the yoof angle to hit us all, law-abiding mature drinkers included.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭gibraltar

True too.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer this to happen than putting up the price of fuel or income tax or other essentials that we have no control over.

As I said before, the average bloke can get blotto on a tenner nowadays.

How is the fact that you might do the same on 15 euro in the future going to effect your life badly in the future?

We can always cut back on drinking. We don't have to do it.

They could double the price as far as I'm concerned, as long as they don't raise the price of anything else.

We also have a problem with younger drivers in this country, so we should increase the price of petrol, if it was more expensive younger people could not afford it and they would not be driving.

Problem solved (no not really)

Say wha??? :confused:

That one has me honestly confused!

• Advertisement

gibraltar wrote: »
    We also have a problem with younger drivers in this country, so we should increase the price of petrol, if it was more expensive younger people could not afford it and they would not be driving.

Problem solved (no not really)

Ironically, this measure effects middle-aged drinkers really.

People who don't do the pub/club scene anymore.

People who have other commitments, such as paying for a house, family etc..

40'ish blokes such as myself, who'll knock off a bottle of wine(7ish euro) in front of the telly rather than pay 4.50 for a pint in the pub.

Advertisement