Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old hard drive

Options
  • 08-01-2012 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

ive got a harddrive with xp on it and recovery disks, also i got the windows product key code can i install it on new motherboard? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Recovery disks are usually designed with the original system in mind. Depending on your license, you may be able to reinstall with an original CD with your key. If it's an OEM/builder license, you wouldn't be able to carry it over to a new system and wouldn't be able to activate without contacting Microsoft with a good excuse (unless the key on your machine is different than the one that was actually used which has happened on a few occasions with major manufacturers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

ah ok mate maybe ill just bin that hd cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Excuse me? Monotype was nowhere saying you should throw away the hard drive (If you don't want it, I'll take it), he simply stated that you probably couldn't use the OS again.

Advertisement