Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range of a .22?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all, a man asked could he go shooting on my farm with his .22 rifle and he says that the bullet will only travel about 200 yards.

Is he correct on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nope.

As far as I can remember the print on some .22lr boxes reads "dangerous to within one mile" (or 1.5 miles) I forget which.

Sounds like he doesn't know what he's at, or he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes. If it were me I'd pass on the opportunity.

(It's not an air rifle is it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

backstop: allways make sure there is something behind were you are shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

johngalway wrote: »
    Nope.

As far as I can remember the print on some .22lr boxes reads "dangerous to within one mile" (or 1.5 miles) I forget which.

Sounds like he doesn't know what he's at, or he's trying to pull the wool over your ideas. If it were me I'd pass on the opportunity.

As far as I know it's not an air rifle, how far would that go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Hi all, a man asked could he go shooting on my farm with his .22 rifle and he says that the bullet will only travel about 200 yards.

Is he correct on this?

Thanks

If the rifle is fired in the horizontal position
    Nope.

Sounds like he doesn't know what he's at, or he's trying to pull the wool over your ideas. If it were me I'd pass on the opportunity.

John is right, if the rifle is shot at the worst case angle with no respect for any safety procedures the bullet can go quite a distance.

On the other hand if a .22lr rifle (assuming it is a .22lr rifle and not a .22 air rifle or centerfire .22) zeroed at 50 yards was shot horizontally from the shoulder of a standing 6ft person it would probably hit the ground around 250 yards if it was using sub sonic ammunition. Where it would potentially bounce or ricochet off flat ground.

With rifles, you need a solid backstop at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

As iar203 said you should always make sure you have a good backstop behind your target to take the bullet if you miss.
    As johngalway said the .22lr round has the potential to travel 1.5 miles, but this is only possible if the round is fired at an upward angle of 35-45 degrees. Even if he zero's his rifle at 100 yards the bullet would be dropping about 2 feet by the time it gets to 200 yards. So if he's lying down on the ground and fires at a rabbit 100 yards away and misses the bullet will hit the ground maybe 20 yards behind the target.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Vegeta wrote: »
    If the rifle is fired in the horizontal position

John is right, if the rifle is shot at the worst case angle with no respect for any safety procedures the bullet can go quite a distance.

On the other hand if a .22lr rifle (assuming it is a .22lr rifle and not a .22 air rifle or centerfire .22) zeroed at 50 yards was shot horizontally from the shoulder of a standing 6ft person it would probably hit the ground around 250 yards if it was using sub sonic ammunition. Where it would potentially bounce or ricochet off flat ground.

With rifles, you need a solid backstop at all times.

The OP is being spun a fishy load of cobblers. If I was asking permission from someone I'd make sure they knew what the story was, not go telling them half-truths. Think of it this way, if something were to happen, a shot go astray, how would the shooter react then? Sure couldn't have been my bullet, it only goes 200 yards! I wouldn't let whomever is telling a landowner that a .22lr bullet only goes 200 yards within an asses roar of my land.

The OP is being spun a fishy load of cobblers. If I was asking permission from someone I'd make sure they knew what the story was, not go telling them half-truths. Think of it this way, if something were to happen, a shot go astray, how would the shooter react then? Sure couldn't have been my bullet, it only goes 200 yards! I wouldn't let whomever is telling a landowner that a .22lr bullet only goes 200 yards within an asses roar of my land.

He can go elsewhere so.

I don't have a bulls notion of rifles, only shotguns so out of interest what does the "lr" after the .22 stand for?

Also if it were a .22 air rifle how far would that bullet go?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

At a distance of 300 yards a .22 could easily kill even a large animal with a body shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

LR stands for long rifle, a .22 aire rifle round can travel different distances depending on power etc. as above i wouldnt let him near my land if he is under the assumption his .22lr round will only 200 yds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Reminds me of an idiot on youtube shooting birds out of a tree with a .17hmr saying that theres no houses behind the tree's for over half a mile so its safe to do it.

some idiots shouldn't be given a gun.

if he thinks it only goes 200 yards he'd prob be inclined to take stupid shots like rabbits on the brow of a hill or grey crows sitting on stakes.

• Advertisement

james4510 wrote: »
    LR stands for long rifle, a .22 aire rifle round can travel different distances depending on power etc. as above i wouldnt let him near my land if he is under the assumption his .22lr round will only 200 yds.....

Thanks for the lr thing!

What would a typical range be for an air rifle be, I'm thinking of getting one for crows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Do you know this man with his false idea of bullet travel? If you do, maybe have a quiet word in his shell-like about learning a bit more about his firearm before you give him permission to use your lands. If you don't, don't even consider giving him any access to your lands.

The OP is being spun a fishy load of cobblers.

It does seem like it alright.

What would a typical range be for an air rifle be, I'm thinking of getting one for crows?

Typical usable hunting range or typical range a pellet will go?

Air rifles come in many different flavours. Spring powered, pre charged pneumatics (PCP). Some have a muzzle energy of less than 12ft/lb, some are right on 12 ft/lb and some are higher at 18ft/lb or 30ft/lb. The higher the muzzle energy the longer away they will travel and can be used.

I had a 12ft/lb rifle and didn't go beyond 30 yards really. The old man has a 30ft/lb one and it is easily usable to 40 yards. EDIT: These are hutning ranges not the max distance a pellet will travel.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Typical usable hunting range or typical range a pellet will go?

Air rifles come in many different flavours. Spring powered, pre charged pneumatics (PCP). Some have a muzzle energy of less than 12ft/lb, some are right on 12 ft/lb and some are higher at 18ft/lb or 30ft/lb. The higher the muzzle energy the longer away they will travel and can be used.

I had a 12ft/lb rifle and didn't go beyond 30 yards really. The old man has a 30ft/lb one and it is easily usable to 40 yards. EDIT: These are hutning ranges not the max distance a pellet will travel.

That's nearly as bad as my shotgun!

The crows are well used to seeing me coming with the shotgun and they fly off once I'm within 60 yards of them so I'd like to be able to get them before they fly off but I'd also be conscious of the bullet travelling over a mile hence my preference towards some sort of air rifle.

The crows are well used to seeing me coming with the shotgun and they fly off once I'm within 60 yards of them so I'd like to be able to get them before they fly off but I'd also be conscious of the bullet travelling over a mile hence my preference towards some sort of air rifle.

the thing is the bullet never really does that.
    with a rifle you dont fire it up, you fire it so the bullet will hit the ground or some form of a safe back stop. you could get a .22 rifle and pick off crows with abit of practice all day long at 70-120 yards. The .22 can be used with subsonic ammo and a moderator and theres no noise off it.
    a shotgun can be fired up as it loses its energy and comes down with the force of gravity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

fodda wrote: »
    At a distance of 300 yards a .22 could easily kill even a large animal with a body shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0

That's a great video, I've watched it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Is he correct on this?

Thanks

The crows are well used to seeing me coming with the shotgun and they fly off once I'm within 60 yards of them so I'd like to be able to get them before they fly off but I'd also be conscious of the bullet travelling over a mile hence my preference towards some sort of air rifle. Today 19:58

That "man" in your OP wouldn't be the man in the mirror by any chance?

I find it disturbing to think that anyone so clueless about a firearms capabilities has been granted a firearms cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Fact: sometimes idiots are given firearm certificates.
    Fact: .22lr ammunition can travel to well over a mile.
    Fact: If you let this eejit shoot on your land it could go tits up very easily.

Tell him to go and jump because he's feeding you porkies!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

lads maybe the fellow meant that 200m was the farthest he would be shooting, if he was all bad he wouldnt have asked at all. if you have your doubts why not go out with him first time and see what hes like

• Advertisement

lads maybe the fellow meant that 200m was the farthest he would be shooting, if he was all bad he wouldnt have asked at all. if you have your doubts why not go out with him first time and see what hes like

The OP stated that the guy said the sound wouldn't travel more than 200 yards,not that he would be shooting quarry at 200 yards. In either case he shouldn't have a rifle. 200 yards is well past the range that a .22 can be used effectively anyway,and if he thinks his rounds are in the ground a that range he needs to go and learn a bit more about his rifle!

Slick50 wrote: »
    That "man" in your OP wouldn't be the man in the mirror by any chance?

I find it disturbing to think that anyone so clueless about a firearms capabilities has been granted a firearms cert.

He has a shotgun? he doesnt need to know a thing about rifles to own a shotgun so i dont see what you're getting at there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The range of a rifle should only be the range at which you intend to hit something - be that your quarry or a backstop.

It is extremely unsafe to try to work out when a round will 'fall to ground'

If you do not decide what a bullet will hit, then you have NO control over what it will hit.

Hence you always fire it into the ground, be that a downward shot, or into raised ground. Even firing into a ditch, unless you know, for sure, what it is composed of (could just be thorn bushes) is ill advised as the round.will go straight through and you lose control.

B'Man

Alright I'm going to clear a few things up: I was half langers yesterday as you all may have realised, it's my old mans farm not mine and a man asked him could he go shooting with an air rifle, I got slightly mixed up in my drunkenness and thought that he meant a normal rifle.

Sorry for annoying all of, I can promise you all it won't happen again.

EDIT: It's also my old mans shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

well that thread is the biggest example of feeding frenzy/Chinese whispers i have seen for a long time thanks for the laugh lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

garv123 wrote: »
    He has a shotgun? he doesnt need to know a thing about rifles to own a shotgun so i dont see what you're getting at there?

If you read the OP, which I copied in my post, you will see the question is about rifles.
    Longranger wrote:
    The OP stated that the guy said the sound wouldn't travel more than 200 yards,
    Originally Posted by idunnoshur viewpost.gif

Slick50 wrote: »
    If you read the OP, which I copied in my post, you will see the question is about rifles.

Originally Posted by idunnoshur viewpost.gif

My bad, that should have read *round*, not *sound*. Feckin predictive text got me again:)

Advertisement