Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120kph at Carrigtwohill westbound

Options
  • 08-01-2012 7:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

When they were working on this road the 120 signs just before the eastern exit for Carrig were taken down, and never went back up again. At time and for a while afterwards I assumed it was an oversight, or that the intention was to move them beyond the exit, but at this stage it has to have been intentional. Does anyone know why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I was wondering that myself lately.

I presumed that they would put them back up in the same place eventually, but then they moved the end of the 120km/h section eastbound out beyond the slip road from Carrigtwohill. Maybe they intend to match the start and finish of the 120km/h sections and haven't put the signs up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Must be a **** up (quelle surprise). The slip road from Cobh heading that direction has a 120 sign, yet traffic coming from Midleton doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Didn't notice that. Did they forget to put the carrig ones back up or to take the Cobh ones down though!? I'll ask the council, just thought someone here might know.

Must have forgotten to put the Carrig ones back up. Can't see why they would revert the whole road to 100 anyway? Although it wouldn't surprise me if they blamed 'speed' for the fatal crash on the road last year where one car was going the wrong way on the DC......

There seems to have been some form of speed limit review alright though - Fota Road has gone back up to 80 k/h (from 60, having been 80 previously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Its a stunt the NRA/Council have pulled a few times. They put in place a special speed limit for road works, and "forget" to replace them. The fact that this spot is also one of the speed camera zones is worth mentioning also. The Van can't come back until the speed limit is returned to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Same on the Bandon road, ther is 55km road work signs for months and no road works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Similar situation on the cork to macroom room around ovens and thereabouts. The resurfacing roadworks are finished on a very lengthy stretch of road and a great job done in fairness, yet the 60kph signs are still up. No one taking much notice tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 totalhero

You're right Padraig Mor, I'd even go further back the road and say with almost certainty that the slip road from Barryscourt/Carrigtohill has 120kph signs, yet as you said, the road from Midleton has no signs whatsoever. Handy way for the speed camera vans to make a few euros.

totalhero wrote: »
    You're right Padraig Mor, I'd even go further back the road and say with almost certainty that the slip road from Barryscourt/Carrigtohill has 120kph signs, yet as you said, the road from Midleton has no signs whatsoever. Handy way for the speed camera vans to make a few euros.

Don't think that section is on the speed camera list - just eastbound from Amgen IIRC. Anyway, with the conflicting signs, you'd win any appeal.

Don't think that section is on the speed camera list - just eastbound from Amgen IIRC. Anyway, with the conflicting signs, you'd win any appeal.

East and west bound on the N25 from Midleton(Ballyannon) to the start of the 120km/h zone. If you don't know where the 120 starts...who is to say any of it is?

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

• Advertisement

East and west bound on the N25 from Midleton(Ballyannon) to the start of the 120km/h zone. If you don't know where the 120 starts...who is to say any of it is?

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

Apologies, should have been clearer. I meant both directions of the DC east of Amgen (actually Fota Rock looking at that map - i.e. where the 100km/h zone starts eastbound).

Apologies, should have been clearer. I meant both directions of the DC east of Amgen (actually Fota Rock looking at that map - i.e. where the 100km/h zone starts eastbound).

During the recent roadworks, the garda camera van(not the civvy ones) was parking under the second flyover at carrigtwohill-eastbound. The speed limit eastbound has moved since that map.

Just noticed this evening..

If you leave C2H heading for midleton, at the end of the slip road are 2 signs telling you that you are entering a 100 km/h limit, however, this is incorrect, as about 200m down the road there are signs saying the 100km/h limit begins in 300m.
    So you should be entering a 120km/h limit....

C2H?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

dahamsta wrote: »
    C2H?

You cant work it out???

Now that I think of it, yes. I wish I didn't have to though. Text speak sucks the sweat off a dead mans balls.

C2H?

What the natives call Carrigtwohill (judging by the graffitti all over the place following their County SHC win last year).

Now that I think of it, yes. I wish I didn't have to though. Text speak sucks the sweat off a dead mans balls.

Oh it's not text speak, Its an abbreviation.

Never heard it called anything but Carrig. C2H is a retarded term. No offense like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Never heard it called anything but Carrig.

after 30+ years of living next to it, that's all I ever heard it called!

anyway, the road. Heading west, as you join the road at Carrig, Cobh Cross and Little Island you have 120km/h signs telling you that you're entering a 120 stretch, and before the tunnel interchange, you meet 100km/h signs.
    The only ones that are missing are the ones at the start.

In the other direction, the only strange thing is the 100km/h as you enter the road from Carrig, as Goldie Fish pointed out.

• Advertisement

Never heard it called anything but Carrig. C2H is a retarded term. No offense like.

To me Carrig could mean carrigaline or carrignavar. I decided to go with what was daubed all over the "town". My sincere opaligees.

Never heard of 'em. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

Must have forgotten to put the Carrig ones back up. Can't see why they would revert the whole road to 100 anyway? Although it wouldn't surprise me if they blamed 'speed' for the fatal crash on the road last year where one car was going the wrong way on the DC......

There seems to have been some form of speed limit review alright though - Fota Road has gone back up to 80 k/h (from 60, having been 80 previously).

do you know what speed that car was going?

do you know what speed that car was going?

Do you know what direction it was going? And what direction it should have been going?

Do you know what direction it was going? And what direction it should have been going?

Not saying who was right or wrong but one car was going eastbound on the westbound carriageway, and had just passed an opportunity to get off the carriageway..

I'm lost, are you actually trying to argue that it's ok to go the wrong way on a DC if you miss your exit? How much you missed it by is immaterial.

Didn't get a reply from the counl so I followed up yesterday, and got this back:

>>>
    This matter is with the Regional Design Office and the matter is under investigation and more will be known early next week.
    <<<

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

my point being people are not aware of the mistakes they make on the road till its too late, travelling too fast is one of those mistakes

I'm lost, are you actually trying to argue that it's ok to go the wrong way on a DC if you miss your exit? How much you missed it by is immaterial.

No. I'm merely stating a fact.Vehicle was driving against traffic for a considerable distance, and made no effort to change this. That is all.

• Advertisement

Didn't get a reply from the counl so I followed up yesterday, and got this back:

>>>
    This matter is with the Regional Design Office and the matter is under investigation and more will be known early next week.
    <<<

translated: we were hoping nobody would notice, but now that you have, we have to do some work for a change.

Advertisement