Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T.J. Kennedy Hybrid Fighting System Dublin Workshop

• 08-01-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Urban Silat is proud to host from Canada T.J. Kennedy of the Hybrid Fighting Method a gritty, reality - based self defense and combatativies system that will ensure you survive the most brutally violent attacks and Mark Lee of Real World Defence Systems. The intro workshop will be on Monday 5th March at Firhouse Sports and Community Center in Dublin 7.30pm to 9.45pm. Great opportunity to train and experience reality Martial Arts at their best. The numbers are limited at this workshop, so if interested book your place early. €25 as places are limited due to studio size. Open to students outside of club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=PIFkSF0DBjs&annotation_id=annotation_637531&v=wl_-yZTRKl8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

silat liam wrote: »
    self defense and combatativies system that will ensure you survive the most brutally violent attacks a

Absolutely scandalous that you would make such a criminally false statement like that.

look how ridiculous that video is at the 0.59 mark. absolutely crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi Sid

Thank you for your views and thoughts.

"Absolutely scandalous that you would make such a criminally false statement like that."

These are T.J. own words I suggest if you feel this strongly don't go to the workshop it's ok. If you want to speak to T.J personally about these statements you can easily do so through youtube, e-mail and facebook.

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Kennedy's system will ensure (ie. make certain) that you will survive the most brutal violent attacks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Kennedy's system will ensure (ie. make certain) that you will survive the most brutal violent attacks?

That is a crazy statement to make, im training donkey's years and if i done that course would still not be guaranteed to be safe from attacks, never mind someone new to martial arts, ps the clip at 59 seconds is hilarious!!!

it's a nay from me anyway..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Hi Cowzerp

No worries, thanks for reading past and watching clip.

Just btw to other readers, this is just a workshop not a course. T.J. Kennedy and Mark Lee are doing a number of other workshops around Dublin, Cork and various other locations in Ireland during the month of March.

We bring in teachers from other styles to see what they have to offer and get a different perpective on Martial Arts and help us develop more in what we do. Having met Mark Lee a number of times I believe he has alot to offer and to experience T.J for a few hours is for me well spent. We only put this out at weekend and within 48 hours the limited space we had was almost full (we currently down to 6 places)

I'm sorry to see the video clip has seem to cause so much offence, and my intention was to help promote another Martial Artist outside of my own style who is coming to Ireland for the first time, and to open the doors of my club to anyone who wanted to attend. I usually don't write much on this forum anymore due to reactions, and didnt think yesterday when I posted this mail, i would get such a complete opposite reaction to everywhere else I mention this workshop.

I thank you all for your comments and time reading and wish you the very best in your direction in martial arts.

Liam, It's commendable that you are looking to help bring new martial arts to the country, and it's nice to see some posts on here about something other than the usual Judo/BJJ/MT stuff, but you need to be more careful about the words you use to sell your product.

This is a discussion bord, not the advertisement section. If you post something here you're opening it up for discussion, and potentially people are going to disagree with the things you say. If you make any claims, chances are somebody is going to question them. The bolder the claim, the greater the chance that someone will say something, and claiming that some system guarantees to save you is a pretty big claim.

I'm sorry to see the video clip has seem to cause so much offence, and my intention was to help promote another Martial Artist outside of my own style who is coming to Ireland for the first time, and to open the doors of my club to anyone who wanted to attend. I usually don't write much on this forum anymore due to reactions, and didnt think yesterday when I posted this mail, i would get such a complete opposite reaction to everywhere else I mention this workshop.

I thank you all for your comments and time reading and wish you the very best in your direction in martial arts.

No. Just no. Perhaps others will be duped by your 'apology' and your faux courtesy but not me. You posted an advertisement and you put your name to those words. If you were quoting another person you should have put the words in quote marks or quote tags. You're doing an advertisement for a seminar you will be making money on. You posted a complete and malicious lie in your post and you should be held to account for it.

The reaction is justified to the nonsense that was presented. Anyone that paid to go to this seminar is a fool.

No. Just no. Perhaps others will be duped by your 'apology' and your faux courtesy but not me. You posted an advertisement and you put your name to those words. If you were quoting another person you should have put the words in quote marks or quote tags. You're doing an advertisement for a seminar you will be making money on. You posted a complete and malicious lie in your post and you should be held to account for it.

The reaction is justified to the nonsense that was presented. Anyone that paid to go to this seminar is a fool.

Hi Sid

Please feel free to contact a solicter or since you think "criminal" in earlier post a garda about this. If you done any research you will see the words use in the post are directly T.J.Kennedy youtube clip / online info

Second of all I'm making nothing out of this event, not a single cent. I'm doing this as a favour to my students and to Mark Lee and T.J. Kennedy. I was ask if my students would like to experience it and I said yes, so get your fact right before you go sprouting off. Where are your fact about me making money? Can you provide them please? The fee for the workshop is €25 so even the instructors arent making alot, compare to other courses been held.

Thirdly I don't really care for what you say or write, I have shown you proper respect but yet you are the one going around throwing false statements about me. I've read some of your early posts, so I don't really to be truthful hold you in much esteem and not really interersted in your area of martial arts. I don't expect you to be interested in what I do. Thats what great about martial arts there plenty of choice.

Finally to say people are fools for going to someone seminar to learn, shows what little regards you have for anything outside of your own narrow stream of vision. Attendees will gain some knowledge that night, they might like it or they may hate it (and if that the case I'm sure they get their money back) I've been to many a seminar and at everyone i've attended I've learnt something that has help me develop. If you feel this strongly about T.J then I advise you take it up directly with him. I will have a great night training with him and Mark, and I'm looking forward to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Morning Wood

The moves in that video look ridiculous. I really thought we'd moved on from that with the knowledge we now have of what does & doesn't work in MA.

Reminds me of this:
    http://youtu.be/qo3xXrssvLQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

These are T.J. own words I suggest if you feel this strongly don't go to the workshop it's ok. If you want to speak to T.J personally about these statements you can easily do so through youtube, e-mail and facebook.

Liam, do you believe these techniques will ensure one survives the most brutally violent attacks?

Serious question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

The same guy seems to be a great exponent of Irish Stick Fighting. He has multiple videos of "bataireacht" up.

Don't know what to make of it. Anyone ever heard of it before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Opinicus wrote: »
    The same guy seems to be a great exponent of Irish Stick Fighting. He has multiple videos of "bataireacht" up.

Its as genuinely irish as me box o' lucky charms so tis :pac:

Chris89 wrote: »
    Liam, do you believe these techniques will ensure one survives the most brutally violent attacks?

Serious question.

Hi Chris
    I actually wait untill I actually train with him directly instead of just judging market video. Talking to him, and other people who I respect who have train with him, have all said he very knowledgeable. We actually now fully book for the seminar, so I'm looking for a bigger venue in the area, so people from all different styles, doormen and back ground want to meet him,and talking to couple of security agencies today in UK and they sending people over to train at the course. So tbh and straight up everywhere except this forum, i'm getting the opposite feedback, so either there all wrong, or somehow people on boards see thing differently, I honesty dont know, thats all I can say.

I'm bringing Marc Crafty Dog Denny here to Dublin for his first even Dog Brother seminar in Ireland in April for 3 days and I suppose I get a raft of post of Boards prob telling me he also doesnt know what he talking about. I'm looking forward to seeing T.J. I bring people over to develop my knowledge and for others to experience. There no agenda, just doing my bit in the area im interested in

I thank people for taking the time to read the post no matter their view point and giving their honest feedback.

PS There will not be any Irish Stick at this workshop, unsure why we went in that tanget.

Hi Liam,

Nobody is saying you shouldn't be allowed enjoy your own chosen style or dabble in what you are interested in.

The issue here is that on a public forum, someone is guaranteeing they can teach someone to survive even the most dangerous situation.

And thats just nonsense.

In regards to the positive feedback, A wise sensei once said; 'birds of a feather flock together'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Opinicus wrote: »

'Tis called HURLING m'laddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Hi Liam ,
    The problem here is that most people who post on this forum train in at least one martial art and whereas a lay person might believe that the hybrid fighting system looks effective its obvious to anyone with any knowledge of martial arts or combat sports, just from looking at the video's alone, thats its a load of crap.

also the vaguness of his credentials doesn't help. "a few ring fights" "training jiu jitsu for years"
    whats his record? what level of jiu jitsu has he reached?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hmmmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hfm

Hey Guys,

Quite a bit of controversy. I just caught this on my Google Reader feed. Didn't realize such conversation was happening.

In the spirit of total honesty and transparency, I offer the following about my claims.

"Ensure" has more to do with mindset as far as I'm concerned. Put any man in front of me, and I will destroy him. That has to be your self-protection mindset...or why bother training in the first place? It doesn't matter who is threatening your personal safety - you are going to win, and that's it.
    Delusional? Perhaps. But it is positive self-talk like that that strengthens your resolve.
    On my site (http://hybridfightingmethod.com), I describe the system as such:

Inside every person lies a beast waiting to be awakened. Men and women alike, capable of protecting themselves and others with unparalleled ferocity. This awakening is what the Hybrid Fighting Method™ is all about.

The Hybrid Fighting Method™ (HFM™) evolved from a series of combat methodologies to become an extremely efficient, no-nonsense, and easily performed combative system!

Not only does HFM™ extract and modify techniques and principles from a variety of effective combative systems, but it is also forged from years of street fight experience - giving it modern urban combat authenticity.
    Innovations regarding new and existing techniques are examined - and if found congruent with the philosophy of HFM™ - are integrated into the system. This makes HFM™ an open and evolving system that has its finger on the pulse of modern day violent attacks.

The whole purpose and/or intent of the Hybrid Fighting Method™ is to help someone weather the storm of physical violence to the point where they can escape. This often means affecting an injury on the attacker.
    With your training in the Hybrid Fighting Method™:

• You will learn how to cause an injury. Where to hit, how to hit, and when to hit.

• You will be able incapacitate your opponent - irrespective of their size, strength, or martial arts experience.

• You will be able to execute essential and straightforward moves that will save your life.

In HFM™ it is maintained that each human being is a “survival machine”. As such, the HFM™ practitioner combines dedicated practice while developing a warrior mindset. This mind-body connection is crucial to HFM’s™ effectiveness – for survival of an attack does not lie in the accumulation of techniques alone, but in the forging of the entire being into a human weapon.

That is what it is all about.

As for my experience being too vague.....here goes:

KRAV MAGA – I started this in August of 2003 at “Wood’s Martial Arts” in Dundas and Ancaster, Ontario. My instructors were Gordon Wood, Edward Wood, Steve McCulloch, and James Schneider. I went to Philadelphia in April of 2005 to take my first Krav Maga instructor’s course under the tutelage of Michael Margolin, A.J. Draven, and Ernie Kirk. Assisting in this course were Greta Hotmer and Stephen Plyler. This was under Krav Maga World Wide, headed up by Darren Levine. Sometime in 2007, I moved to Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario and taught Krav Maga at the Krav Maga Training Center in Waterloo. Here I worked closely with Aubrey Brawley.
    I also trained at seminars during these years with instructors Sam Sade and Kelly Campbell of Krav Maga World Wide.

Even though Commando Krav Maga is not really Krav Maga, I am including it under this section for simplicity’s sake. I started my own business (Intrepid Self-Defense & Fitness) in May of 2008 and went to the CKM Level 1 and 2 instructor’s course at the beginning of June. It was not until summer of 2009 that I conceptualized the Hybrid Fighting Method – but more on that later.

MUAY THAI – In April of 2007 I enrolled at “Phady’s Muay Thai” in Cambridge, Ontario. I was taught by Ajarn Khan Phady. Side note – Ajarn Khan is a tremendous human being. I love the man deeply. Back on track – On June 30th, 2007 I had my 1st amateur fight against Brett Biedermann. I got knocked out cold in the first round after about a minute and a half. Good fight Brett! I received a 90-day medical suspension due to my sustained concussion. On October 14th of 2007 I had my 2nd amateur fight against Louis Martel. We fought a hard fight and I took a 3rd round split decision. That guy hits hard! At this gym I was honoured to train alongside guys like Drago Sindjic, Rory Kennedy, David Ribeiro, Jordan Perez, and Justin Page. Some young up and comers were Yasin Phady and Cole Spitzig. I trained for about 1.5 years here.

I eventually moved back to Hamilton and switched gyms, starting to train at “Iron Tiger Muay Thai” in Stoney Creek at that time. My coach was Kru Alin Halmagean. I had the pleasure of training with champions like Shane Campbell, Dave Hale, Markhaile Wedderburn, Adrian Wooley, Andrew McInnes, Joey Ayotte, and a whole host of other superb people. I only trained here probably for collectively 6 months, with a few months of non-attendance in the middle. I was busy with running my own business and trying to get that off the ground.

BOXING – I trained boxing in Dundas with David Finch, and in Kitchener-Waterloo with Syd “The Jewel” Vanderpool. If you stack all my boxing together, I trained for about a year. This was over the course of 2006-2008. During this time one of my training partner's was Sanshou champion Zack George. I have also worked alongside Sanshou phenom Sabir Bagautdinov.

BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU – I have trained on and off with BJJ since 2003. I wasn’t too interested in learning fancy submissions or competing (and I’m still not). I just wanted to have a working knowledge of it to apply towards street defense. I started learning with (then BJJ blue belt) Gord Wood and Steve McCulloch. Gord has since aligned himself with Dan Moroney of Bravado Jiu-Jitsu, and as such with Renzo Gracie. I also sparred professional MMA fighter Rory McDonnell. I only mention that because the first time we sparred he put on an Americana too hard and tore my rotator cuff. I walked around with that injury for 3.5 years, and then in 2007 got it fixed with two 20-minute sessions of ART (Active Release Technique) with Dr. Satdip Binning at Champion Chiropractic in Cambridge, Ontario. Anyway, when I moved to the Krav Maga Training Center in Waterloo, I started training with Alliance BJJ black belt (under Romero “Jacare” Cavalcanti) Dragan Konjevic and then purple belt Eric Yu. I stopped my BJJ training when I opened my business and focused solely on street self-defense.

BUJINKAN NINJUTSU – I trained with 4th degree black belt Jamie Daiken and then 1st degree black belt Nikolaj Jacobsen in Stoney Creek, Ontario. They are fantastic! I have also trained often (and continue to train) with Brian Opdenkelder, head of the Canadian faction of the Hoshinkan Jutaijutsu system (a modern take on Bujinkan Ninjutsu). I started this training in 2010. Brian is an ERT member in the Correctional Service of Canada, and has been instrumental in helping me integrate effective use-of-force into the Hybrid Fighting Method, incarnated as the ICE program (Interception Control, Escort). Brian is also the Ontario affiliate for Richard Dimitri's Senshido.

SHORIN-RYU KARATE – I was taught the Shorin-Ryu style with Gord Wood from 2005-2007, and then again in 2010.

RINCE AN BHATA UISCE BEATHA (IRISH STICK FIGHTING) – I have trained since 2010 in this brutal stick fighting system passed down to me by Sifu Glen Doyle. I am at the time of this writing a Level 1 Instructor directly under Sifu Glen. I also fought in the first-ever sport version of this system for the Canadian national championship. You can see the fight on YouTube here: http://youtu.be/qQedovDCDWA

I am the one in the blue chest protector.

JEET KUNE DO – I trained at the “Fighting Arts Collective” in Toronto, Ontario with Shawn Zirger who is a Senior Instructor in Paul Vunak’s Progressive Fighting Systems. I did not train for a large amount of time with Shawn.

Several other seminars I have taken: Rory Miller (Ambushes and Thugs), CDT (Compliance & Escorts with James Fries), Trinity Combat Concepts (with Hendrik Rober).

I am also closely linked with Luke Holloway of Raw Combat International, and have trained with him considerably.

I have also cross-trained with a plethora of martial artists from varied backgrounds.

In addition to training, I have worked extensively for years within nightclub security as a bouncer. This has brought with it the hands-on experience of becoming directly involved in or the breaking up of hundreds of street and bar fights. This “real life” training ground has led to a focus on realism in my training. Anything that works is used, and anything that doesn’t work is discarded.

I started in January, 2004 at Billy Bob’s Island Oasis in Hamilton, Ontario. I then went to the following bars as a bouncer up until the present time (respectively):

Philthy McNasty’s (Burlington and Oakville locations) > Lush Nightclub (Hamilton) > Revolution Nightclub (Waterloo) > The Flying Dog (Waterloo) > Remedy Nightclub (Hamilton) > Solid Gold Inn (Burlington) > Century Room (Toronto) > Zanzibar Tavern (Toronto) > Rehab Nightclub (Oakville) > Viva Nightclub (Hamilton) > Brunswick House (Toronto)

I have also worked several random events and functions throughout those years. I can't even begin to delineate the stuff I dealt with during these years.

If after reading this you still think I am a fraud or a novice instructor….well, I can’t say much more to change your mind. And that’s okay. Not everyone is going to like me or what I have to offer.

Just know that I have dedicated my life – in as an efficient way as possible – to bringing you a user-friendly self-defense and fighting system that is free of bull**** and politics.

I just want you to be safer. That is my legacy.

Feel free to check for reference any of my HFM Instructors you can find on my website. They all have their own storied backgrounds, and they all stake their faith in HFM.

I hope you guys will come train at one of these Ireland events, and judge me after you have met me and trained with me. No hard feelings :-)

T.J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ist off, fair play for given a run down of your experiences

I'll be honest, im a sceptic of Self defense orientated training, i think learning an art where you spar regular and are put under real pressure will prepare you better for street situations and pressures.
    hfm wrote: »
    Inside every person lies a beast waiting to be awakened. Men and women alike, capable of protecting themselves and others with unparalleled ferocity. This awakening is what the Hybrid Fighting Method™ is all about..

Who's to say the attacker won't be more forocious or even equally and much bigger, stronger etc, then the person is in trouble
    • You will be able incapacitate your opponent - irrespective of their size, strength, or martial arts experience.

Now this statement troubles me, so your 1 day course will make some girl be able to incapacitate a lad training martial arts 10-15 years

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Wow..Impressive List of Name Dropping or what..Jack of All Trades etc..comes to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Fair play for addressing the criticisms here first off.

However, for me, your post has only confirmed the criticisms:

-There doesn't seem to be any real dedication to any martial art, just bouncing from one style to another. Which probably hasn't led to any real proficiency in any system/style.
    -The system you are promoting hasn't "evolved". You've taken techniques from genuine martial arts and packaged them with a different name for profit.
    -You continue to make absurd claims about the effectiveness of your system.

Good luck to you but you are ticking all the boxes on my "do not train with this guy" checklist.

Ive never been so close to rubbing my eyes in disbelief.

Edit: What if their martial arts experience is in a similair field, or better yet, what if they are attacked by a fellow student of the Hybrid fighting system? Who is your money on?

You did Muay Thai for 2 years, had 2 fights, got the words "Muay Thai" tattooed on your knuckles and then moved on to something else?

In the spirit of total honesty and transparency, I offer the following about my claims.

"Ensure" has more to do with mindset as far as I'm concerned. Put any man in front of me, and I will destroy him. That has to be your self-protection mindset...or why bother training in the first place? It doesn't matter who is threatening your personal safety - you are going to win, and that's it.
    Delusional? Perhaps. But it is positive self-talk like that that strengthens your resolve.
    T.J.

In the spirit of total honesty and transparency, I offer the following to you.
    These are quite simply not just absurd and ridiculous claims that you have made, they are downright dangerous.
    Some poor fool with more money than sense, is going to read this post and actually believe this codswallop, go to this seminar, learn a few basic moves that may or may not work, and then leave thinking they are Bruce Lee or someone like that, talk when they should be listening in the pub or wherever that night, and if they are lucky, live to learn the truth.
    And then to use semantics and state,

Why not state that then instead of ensuring people they will be natural born killers after attending this seminar.
    While I agree with the sentiment this has to be backed up with ability, which can only be garnered through years of training, practice and muscle memory..certainly not in an afternoon or even a day.
    You know, you will undoubtedly get plenty of self delusional people to attend and make loads of money..I hope it makes you happy..me..the whole thing leaves me saddened and with a bad taste in my mouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I just want you to be safer. That is my legacy.

Just when you think you've heard every egotistical sentence in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

You can't even point out that the guy is delusional, he's using as a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ridiculous Lee Handsome

RINCE AN BHATA UISCE BEATHA

Doesn't that mean 'whiskey stick dancing'?

I thought that myself but bowed to their obviously greater knowledge of martial arts as gaeilge than mine:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

yeah. maybe it's actually a very ancient irish drinking game.

Rules:
    someone gets hit with a stick - everybody drink!

simple but effective.

Advertisement