Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New aparts for sale for 30 weeks average pay - will property go lower?

• 08-01-2012 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Will property fall further, thats the question on many peoples minds. How affordible is property - in terms of peoples earnings. If you want to compare wages to property prices in Ireland then lets choose average public sector salary which is € 48,000 per year according to the CSO. www.cso.ie We could choose average private sector salary but statistics on that may be less reliable. Now lets look at what you can buy new 2 bedroom apartments for in ordinary, middle Ireland. You can get them for not just less than 48k, not just less than 38k but less than 30k even.
    Here is a 2 bedroom apartment in " middle Ireland" for 29k ( if you want it, offer 25 or 26k - that may buy it ! )
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=631593

Elsewhere in the country, from Donegal to Louth to Waterford city, property can also be got for less than a years salary:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=614632
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=613282
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=630903
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=629156
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=629383
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=627468

Now, what other country in the world could you buy a new 2-bedroom apartment, built to Irish government standards, for as little as 7 or 8 months ( not years ) average public sector salary ? This suggests to me that property prices are already very low. Property is already buttons in many areas of this country. It cannot fall much more in many areas surely ? If it does, will you see an apartment for sale for only 2 or 3 months wages ?
    Will this be the year property bounces back to 2 or 3 years salary ? Historically you would think property should cost at least that anyway ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

guilt to Irish government standards

Freudian slip? We all know the celtic tiger appartments are ****e. Look no further then Priory Hall etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

gigino wrote: »
    guilt to Irish government standards,

As we've seen in Priory Hall and the news about water pipes freezing last winter and the pyrtite in Baldolye and a lot of other examples, standards don't mean a lot in this country

Do you mean to type guilt on some unconscious level? :)

Edit, much the same post above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thread should read:
    Average public sector pay in Ireland buys you a flat in 30 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, aside from the last one in waterford city the others are of utterly no value to anybody, these are the prices we should be seeing for apartments just outside the m50 belt, but get anywhere close to dublin and those prices triple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyway gigino, going by your hotel thread we Irish are lazy and not fit to hold down a job and pay a mortgage :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

A retired guard could buy one gigino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Anyway gigino, going by your hotel thread we Irish are lazy and not fit to hold down a job and pay a mortgage :(
    Most Irish people i know are not lazy and do hold hold jobs and many pay mortgages. Please keep on thread.
    yeah, aside from the last one in waterford city the others are of utterly no value to anybody, these are the prices we should be seeing for apartments just outside the m50 belt

Most of the people in the country live outside the M50 belt. Where do you think they should live ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Most of the people in the country live outside the M50 belt. Where do you think they should live ?:confused:

Well, they'll probably want to live in houses for a start, none of those apartments look too appealing to me. Apartment living is suited to large cities, but I don't see the appeal for someone in Longford or Manorhamilton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yes but 2 bed apartments suit a limited range of people, mostly students, young professionals and childless couples , students dont buy houses/apartments , so that leaves the last 2

useless as a rental property except the last one as stated above, and to buy youd have to be mad , theres little to no public transport around them, shops, nightclubs and other services are far away, and theyre outside of dublin and cork - our two major cities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That one in Killybegs is probably about its value, needs doing up. The Bundoran apartment might offer a return during the Summer but there could well be an over supply so you might only get a couple of months rent.

As for prices, it's back to location, location, location again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

In all seriousness however, there are plenty of good economic analysis papers/blogs out there which has a contrarian view to your simplistic: "surely it can't drop lower, joe".

I find them more compelling.

I was around discussing stocks in 1999-<present> and the amount of people who kept saying "surely NASDAQ can't drop lower!" and a decade later we're still 50% off - and in real terms post-inflation, much much much lower.

So yes - any asset which has been in a bubble can deflate beyond what may 'seem logical' to someone who has been or are invested in the market. Irish property prices since 1996 has been completely removed from the underlying economic fundamentals and they will keep crashing. See: Japan asset bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I think I'll buy one with next week's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Will property fall further, thats the question on many peoples minds. How affordible is property - in terms of peoples earnings. If you want to compare wages to property prices in Ireland then lets choose average public sector salary which is € 48,000 per year according to the CSO. www.cso.ie
    I'm not sure about property, but public sector pay will fall. I work on 2 privat jobs for 60 hours a week and my pay per annum is less than 48,000

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

That can't be right average pub sec wage€ 48 000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Will property fall further, thats the question on many peoples minds. How affordible is property - in terms of peoples earnings. If you want to compare wages to property prices in Ireland then lets choose average public sector salary which is € 48,000 per year according to the CSO. www.cso.ie We could choose average private sector salary but statistics on that may be less reliable. Now lets look at what you can buy new 2 bedroom apartments for in ordinary, middle Ireland. You can get them for not just less than 48k, not just less than 38k but less than 30k even.
    Here is a 2 bedroom apartment in " middle Ireland" for 29k ( if you want it, offer 25 or 26k - that may buy it ! )
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=631593

Elsewhere in the country, from Donegal to Louth to Waterford city, property can also be got for less than a years salary:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=614632
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=613282
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=630903
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=629156
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=629383
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=627468

Now, what other country in the world could you buy a new 2-bedroom apartment, guilt to Irish government standards, for as little as 7 or 8 months ( not years ) average public sector salary ? This suggests to me that property prices are already very low. Property is already buttons in many areas of this country. It cannot fall much more in many areas surely ? If it does, will you see an apartment for sale for only 2 or 3 months wages ?
    Will this be the year property bounces back to 2 or 3 years salary ? Historically you would think property should cost at least that anyway ?

Public sector wages need to be cut and cut sharply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If the Bundoran one was €28k, i'd honestly consider it as a holiday home. You'd have no bother renting that out for surf weekends at any stage of the year

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Well, they'll probably want to live in houses for a start, none of those apartments look too appealing to me.
    One has a great view of the Atlantic.
    Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Apartment living is suited to large cities, but I don't see the appeal for someone in Longford or Manorhamilton.

One of the properties listed above was a 3 Bedroom Duplex. There are 3 bedroom hooses for sale on daft.ie for less than a years wages too. Besides, on the continent many people seem to live in apartments ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

One of the properties listed above was a 3 Bedroom Duplex. There are 3 bedroom hooses for sale on daft.ie for less than a years wages too. Besides, on the continent many people seem to live in apartments ?

I'm not saying that no one would be interested in them, just that in rural Ireland it can be hard enough to convince people to live in housing estates, never mind apartments. Don't forget that house prices will have dropped too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They look fairly depressing tbh.

48k a year average? What in the name of sweet fuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You'd probably end up paying over a grand a year for them in management fees and charges though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

the prices are low cause there are no buyers out there now willing to buy properties like these. most potential buyers are waiting on to see what happens and hoping to buy a house for these prices in the next few years.
    in 2005/6 a builder told me that houses/apts would be sold for the price of a 4x4 within 10yrs. he could see what was happening could'nt possibly be sustained. imagine that, a builder.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

snubbleste wrote: »
    Thread should read:
    Average public sector pay in Ireland buys you a flat in 30 weeks.

That's the kind of thinking that created this mess, because it assumes that you don't need to eat, drink, travel to work, rent your current home, pay your phone bill, heat and light your current home, etc, etc.

Even being damn frugal it would take 4 times that to buy the flat.

Still a reasonable price for a change, and it's good to see some reality kick into the market, but manipulated figures, headlines and thread titles like the above are what created the frenzy - sure the government definition of "disposable income" even ignores the most basic living expenses.

Wait for the price database to go online - then wait a few months and check out the _real_ prices stuff sells for. With no transparency in the market and so much uncertainty - why bother now? It's not like prices will start climbing for years anyways.

There's nothing to loose for waiting longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

doulikeit wrote: »

Thats what i thought. Surely thats a misprint.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

washman3 wrote: »
    the prices are low cause there are no buyers out there now willing to buy properties like these. most potential buyers are waiting on to see what happens and hoping to buy a house for these prices in the next few years.
    in 2005/6 a builder told me that houses/apts would be sold for the price of a 4x4 within 10yrs. he could see what was happening could'nt possibly be sustained. imagine that, a builder.!!!

Yeap he was'nt far off tbh. When we see the average price of a house in the Dublin area fall to in and around 80k for an average three bed we will be near enough to rock bottom. Hell of a lot of delusion out in the market still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Let's turn a thread about apartments into another public sector vs. private sector ****about ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Those were 2008 figures. Knock 15% off and it will be fairly accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Some of ye guys have obviously never been in the states, in places like Texas mansions can be had for 250k and most 4 bed homes cost 90k at most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There are alot of 'fat cats' in the public sector on serious wages - if the top 5% of the PS were left out I'm sure it would be a different story.
    But that wouldn't be any good for a sensationalistic headline would it. Also there were Pay cuts aswell!

Also there are alot of deductions on that figure......tax, universal social charge, pension deductions, pension levy etc. I reckon a good 55-60% of that 48k would be gone, leaving about 20k -23k disposable income for a years work.
    Gross figures for wages never tell a true story.

Some of ye guys have obviously never been in the states, in places like Texas mansions can be had for 250k and most 4 bed homes cost 90k at most.

Ahh shure haven't ye heard? Ireland is different!

*sarcasm*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Property prices won't bounce back for a while thankfully. :)

People can't afford heavy mortgages, banks can't run the risk and no one is building houses and driving demand up anymore.

Lesson learned? Nope. But it will be about 5 years before people start making the same mistakes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

noxqs wrote: »
    Ahh shure haven't ye heard? Ireland is different!

*sarcasm*

yip, exactly. "we are the gateway to Europe"
    "we have a talented/educated workforce"
    "we are english speaking"

and any other lines of bulls##t we want to believe....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes we have hit the bottom, time to buy because completely worthless properties are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

kowloon wrote: »
    Let's turn a thread about apartments into another public sector vs. private sector ****about ;).

AKA a 'gigino' thread.

• Advertisement

doulikeit wrote: »

It was over 49,000, its between 47 and 48k now, according to the latest government statistics ( they should know ).
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2011/earnlabcosts_q32011.pdf

According to the cso, average hours worked in the public service is 31.8 hours per week, and average weekly pay is € 906.81 Thats for quarter 3, 2011, the latest statistics available.
    I've never been to Texas. Its a big place I believe. Would those properties @ 90k + 250 in Texas be 50 miles from civiliisation or in sizeable towns ? Any what are wages like in Texas ? Do people there get an average of the equivalent of 30 euro an hour ( plus pension when they retire of half finishing wage and 18 months tax free lump sum )? There are new 4 bedroom houses being sold in some parts of Ireland for 60k, I wonder how the Texas ones @ 90k compare to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You do know what an average is dont you? You do know that most people in the public service earn nothing like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Doubt that, sure there's been 3 if not 4 increments (pay rises to you and me) since..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It was over 49,000, its between 47 and 48k now, according to the latest government statistics ( they should know ).
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2011/earnlabcosts_q32011.pdf

According to the cso, average hours worked in the public service is 31.8 hors per week, and average weekly pay is € 906.81 Thats for quarter 3, 2011, the latest statistics available.

I've never been to Texas. Its a big place I believe. Would those properties @ 90k + 250 in Texas be 50 miles from civiliisation or in sizeable towns ? Any what are wages like in Texas ?

You dont actually have a job do you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You do know what an average is dont you? You do know that most people in the public service earn nothing like this?

Sssshhhhhhh....doesn't suit his arguement.

• Advertisement

noxqs wrote: »
    Wait for the price database to go online - then wait a few months and check out the _real_ prices stuff sells for. With no transparency in the market and so much uncertainty - why bother now? It's not like prices will start climbing for years anyways.

There's nothing to loose for waiting longer.

True enough I suppose. I wonder is 29k the lowest price a modern 2-bedroom apartment is advertised for in Ireland ? Anyone know of new apartments which sold for less ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Here's a gaff in Dublin for 40k!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rent prices don't seem to have come down much around Dublin. I've been looking for a 3 or 4 bed house close to city centre for 400 per person (1,200-1,600) and haven't been able to find anywhere nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that if don't pay any bills or taxes for the next 30 weeks i can own my very own piece of **** in the middle of nowhere?

Where do I sign up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I'm not sure about property, but public sector pay will fall. I work on 2 privat jobs for 60 hours a week and my pay per annum is less than 48,000

Jaysus if I worked 60 hours a week id be expecting €150,000 a year at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That's why for skewed distributions such as civil service pay, the median is often a more accurate estimator of what an 'average joe' gets because the high earners skew the distribution way out of proportion.

For example, nine low deck civil servants get in the reigon of 30 k a year, their boss (head of coillte) gets 400k.

This ten group of people has an average pay of 43k a year, clearly not representative of all the joes at the bottom of the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭ronjo

Sky King wrote: »
    That's why for skewed distributions such as civil service pay, the median is often a more accurate estimator of what an 'average joe' gets because the high earners skew the distribution way out of proportion.

For example, nine low deck civil servants get in the reigon of 30 k a year, their boss (head of coillte) gets 400k.

This ten group of people has an average pay of 43k a year, clearly not representative of all the joes at the bottom of the ladder.

That is truly awful maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Begod you;re right, it's wrong, but my point is still right. RIGHT?

what is it 67K average?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yep, I think its 67k

Nice pay for the bossman there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

that's fine if you want to buy a place where your neighbours are all toothless simpletons with eyebrows on their cheeks. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement