Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swtor recent bans,video inside..

Options
  • 08-01-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Dont know if anyone was aware of this "exploit" as bioware call it, but i found it interesting and i dont personally think any of the players should have been banned for lazy devs not doing their job right when making the game..stuff like this gives me less faith in the bioware swtor division.

what are other peoples opinions on this matter,discuss please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Banning for that is..........ridiculous.

It would clearly break the economy so you fix it with a patch. Set a level limit for each planet etc. You don't ban people for being clever and making credits completely within the rules of the game.

The mind boggles..........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kirby wrote: »
    Banning for that is..........ridiculous.

It would clearly break the economy so you fix it with a patch. Set a level limit for each planet etc. You don't ban people for being clever and making credits completely within the rules of the game.

The mind boggles..........
    Or you simply remove the loot until you can fix it, put it as Bind On Pick Up or any of other ways most MMOs deal with it; banned for credit farming is sure a huge lol. What's next, banned because you exceeded a certain credit amount (and hence clearly is unbalanced!)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Not everyone was banned, they said only those exploiting the containers and professional commercial farmers were banned. I did this myself and received no ban, then again I didn't sell any credits either nor did I exploit the chests/containers by switching instances or camping them.

There's two sides to every story (they said this themselves) and people were banned for commercially farming credits and exploiting the chests/containers by opening as many as they could (or spawn camping them) then switching instances and doing it again. The containers were also on timers so would respawn every so often (7 minutes I think it was) so if you had a few of your own accounts or friends there, you could get every container, switch instance (every half hour) and get them all again.
    The area was also being exploited by opposing factions, just killing the npc's or whatever, then sitting back and allowing the other side to do the same with no attempts at engaging in pvp between each other.

It's a flaw for sure on Bioware's part but that doesn't mean it should be exploited just because you can. There was no hassle just going there and looting the containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

CyberJuice wrote: »
    what are other peoples opinions on this matter,discuss please
    Players weren't banned, only serious goldfarmers were. Players were warned, that's all.

As usual, this stuff is completely overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Blowfish wrote: »
    Players weren't banned, only serious goldfarmers were. Players were warned, that's all.

As usual, this stuff is completely overblown.

What if im just a player not a gold farmer,and i know that its possible to go get these chests,im level 20. so i devote a few days to gettin as many of these chests as i can,i pay my subscription,i bought the game, i chose what i do with my ingame time,i only do it for 2- 5 days to make some easy cash to put towards buying myself mount skills and stuff for level 50. and they ban or warn me?

all i have done is go to a planet and camp a chest for 4 hours each day while i am watching tv or chattin on msn or watever. why is this a bad thing?its possible to do without using hacks or third party applications.

is it any different than going around farming flowers or ores? i dont think so..

I havent done this by the way ,i only found out about it after i watched this video today. should i be given a warning for something bioware allowed to happen and put into the game?

if anyone gets a warning here it should be bioware for messing up,they messed up and they know it and so do we

• Advertisement

I've no idea what your crusade against Bioware/SWTOR comes from, but in any case, all of this has been explained. Here's the full quote from Stephen Reid:
    Our Terms of Service team recently took action against some accounts playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, and we wanted to give you some insight into what happened and why.

First, action was taken against a number of accounts for what's commonly known as 'gold farming' - or in our case, credit farming. These accounts were found to be exploiting the game in a variety of ways to maximize their credits in order to sell them to other players. Our Terms of Service team took action against these accounts and removed them permanently from the game.

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

None of these accounts were banned for their actions and no accounts have been banned for travelling to Ilum while still relatively low level. By comparison, the number of accounts that were warned or temporarily suspended was considerably lower than the number of accounts banned for 'credit farming'.

It's important to remember that our Terms of Service team is extremely careful and thorough in their investigation of any potential exploit or unusual activity in-game. Working closely with the development team and using extensive metrics based on player activity, they are able to determine what is normal player activity, what is unusual and what is exploiting. Our goal is always to ensure a fair game experience for all players while also protecting the rights of individuals, and if people are disrupting the play experience for others action will be taken.

While we will not discuss the details of any individual action, whenever we take action against an account we believe they have clearly broken our Terms of Service. Any action taken against an account can be appealed and in some cases actions have been rescinded.

While we understand people's concern about actions taken against accounts, please remember the Terms of Service team exists to help ensure a balanced and fair game experience for all. When you see reports of actions taken against someone's account, remember they are choosing to tell their version of the story - and there are two sides to every story.

In summary, our Terms of Service team took action against a number of accounts that were 'credit farming' to remove them permanently from the game. They also warned and temporarily suspended - but did not ban - a smaller number of accounts for activities on Ilum that were decided to be game exploits.

Some adjustments will be made to Ilum in the near future to discourage future exploits. However, the planet is still open to anyone who wishes to travel there.

The goal of the Star Wars: The Old Republic team is to maintain a service for our customers that is fun to play and equitable for everyone. Critical to this goal is making sure that gameplay is fair and reasonable and we are constantly on the lookout for anything that would prove to be a detriment to your gameplay experiences.

Thanks for reading, and we hope this gave you some insights.

Blowfish wrote: »
    I've no idea what your crusade against Bioware/SWTOR comes from, but in any case, all of this has been explained. Here's the full quote from Stephen Reid:

so stephen reid said that gold farmers were banned but some regular players recieved a warning on their account and some got suspensions.words from the man himself.

and your askin me where does my crusade against bioware come from, a company suspending players for playing within the rules and limits of the game, they are being too heavy handed for mistakes they have made with their game design

by all means if you know credit farmer accounts exist and have prrof they are botting or selling credits then delete account but he has said he suspended and warned members of the regular playerbase

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

From the outside looking in though Cyberjuice, it might look as if you are bitter they banned you over your name.

Just saying is all....

Kirby wrote: »
    From the outside looking in though Cyberjuice, it might look as if you are bitter they banned you over your name.

Just saying is all....

i understand but this is not the case,i posted a video for people to discuss,everyone will have their own opinion on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

You seemed to be slightly pre-occupied with getting banned? Why not just play the game the way it was meant to be played .. thats what is supposed to be fun isnt it?

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    You seemed to be slightly pre-occupied with getting banned? Why not just play the game the way it was meant to be played .. thats what is supposed to be fun isnt it?

what?this video has nothing to do with me as i stated,i never knew about this untill today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ok guys, seriously. Cyber got banned from TOR. We even have a thread about that. This isn't that thread. This is a thread to discuss some other people that got banned, for a different reason. So lets keep it on topic.

My opinion on the matter really does come down to who it was they actually banned. We have it from Reid that it was only serious farmers, and I've heard anecdotal reports from people who were seriously taking the piss but only got a warning, so it looks like that's more or less true.

Personally, had I been aware of the exploit, yeah I probably would have taken advantage of it - but I'd also have not been at all surprised when I got busted for it. If they did ban people who were just abusing it though, that's a bit poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm going to be lazy and ask "

Where people warned becuase they went to Ilum at a lower level"?

Unless there is a specifica geting into Ilum where you can't get in lower then level 50, this isn't a bug or exploit. I cant see the video, and I dont know what this "bug" is, but I guess its kinda typical of the way Bioware have been sending out communications, that it appears by his word, players were warned off by getting into Ilum beneath the "advised level"

Which is total bollox.

I'm sure there is more detail/fact I'm overlooking, but reads to me like clever use of mechanics.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Where people warned becuase they went to Ilum at a lower level"?
    No.

they were warned and suspended for staying in illum for hours at a time and camping some chests which contain valuable loot apparently, people were camping the chests and gettin them every time they respawn

Advertisement