Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I phone 4 Screen Enlargement = phone crashed!

• 08-01-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im checking for a friend who bought her iphone a week after me, whether this is something we can solve ourselves rather than her being without her phone for weeks:(

The problem:

She said she was working on some apps (either WhatsApp or Facebook) at the time it happened. She enlarged the screen as the print size was too small, and since that point the screen stayed large and never returned to original size.

The sim has been removed, phone turned off and on, Ive tried a restore which wont work. Cant connect to itunes as it wants her passcode, which we cant put in, as the screen changes to enlarged within a second, not giving enough time to put it in, and the screen cannot be moved up and down to allow anyone to put in any other numbers.

According to O2 her previous network (a very helpful fellow) her phone is at fault. Not the sim card. (We tried that in my phone and it works fine).
    So the next obvious step is to contact apple.ie.

Anyone got any ideas, or even as to how long she will be without a phone?

Many, many thanks for any advice - she is cracking up without it:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Is it 3 finger zoom?
    Double tap your screen with 3 fingers and it will unzoom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Holding in home+pwr for 10-20 seconds help at all?

No it didn't do anything!!!!!!!

(According to an iPhone for Beginners magazine thats a restore - but it didn't do anything to the phone at all) After trying, all that I noticed was that it took longer for the phone to turn on, but on trying to enter the code again the screen jumped to large size again, leaving the phone unuseable again.

I cant even get it to sync with Itunes to try and restore it that way, as it wont connect because it asks the phone be unlocked first:(

This is a nuisance!!

Is it like this?
    ScreenZooming.jpg
    If so double tap 3 fingers to zoom
    Drag 3 fingers to move around
    To change zoom double tap 3 fingers and drag up/down

When zoomed back out goto settings-general-accessibility and turn off zooming(this is off by default BTW)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sounds like a 3 finger zoom alright. What's happens when she turns the phone. Does it change to landscape?

It doesn't turn to landscape, and yes it looks like that, except Im not sure if the apps look that size too, as the only screen I get to see is the time which comes a good bit down the screen, and the battery charging which is the width of the screen.

Im now trying to get it to turn on after the second attempt at a restore..........it just wont turn on now..............

So at the moment I cant even try the three finger zoom thing........:(

Am going to connect to computer again to see if it automatically turns on....

• Advertisement

Ok, had to restart my computer (its very old and it crashed too!!)

On restarting it opened itunes and it said it noticed a phone in restore mode, and is asking me to restore it to factory settings meaning all will be lost on the phone. Including contacts I presume.

Im going to ring my friend to be sure this is what she wants , as it may solve the problem.

However, can anyone tell me if I do this, what are the chances of Apple sorting out the problem if a restore doesn't do it? And the fact that Im even trying to fix it will this break the warranty rules (presuming it has a 12 mth warranty).........

Thanks again.

You've put phone in dfu or restore mode.
    Exit this mode by holding home+pwr for 10seconds till apple logo appears and try the 3finger zoom as I'd be certain all that's wrong is someone's turned on zoom
    mumof2 wrote: »
    And the fact that Im even trying to fix it will this break the warranty rules (presuming it has a 12 mth warranty).........

Thanks again.
    how:confused:
    Jailbreaking or opening your phone may void the warranty
    iTunes restore are iTunes suggestion.

ok, pressed the two buttons again and stopped whatever it was doing. It turned on itself, and tried the 3 finger zoom thing and :D:D:D:D:D very happy to say it worked:D:D

The only thing im not sure of now is the update it was trying to do, whether that worked or not. I tunes was saying something about 11 hrs to do an update??:confused:

Unplugged it from the computer, and all the apps are there in normal size:D

The current software version appears to be 4.3.3. Im going to meet her in the morning, and advised her to sync with I tunes to backup in case of future problems:rolleyes:

Thanks so much CathalDublin and antodeco!!!!

No probs, that was the ios5.0.1 update, tell her to plug it into iTunes and it will backup and do that, make sure you turn off zoom to avoid zooming in by mistake while typing or playing a game

No probs, that was the ios5.0.1 update, tell her to plug it into iTunes and it will backup and do that, make sure you turn off zoom to avoid zooming in by mistake while typing or playing a game

I will turn it off for her, as she says herself - shes not technical enough!!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement