Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HELP

• 08-01-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Im in first year science (undenom) atm and Im taking chemistry,physics,applid maths and computer science as my subjects .My problem is that I think applied maths is way too difficult of a subject and I took it without putting enough thought into it .Basically I have done my christmas exam in applied maths and dont think I'll be able to pass the year in it .I did pass maths from junior cert level onwards in secondary school so I have always struggled with the subject of maths.Im wondering is there any chance at all that I could change to pass maths instead of applied maths ? Also ,how difficult is pass maths in college ?

I dont want to fail and have to repeat the year and I think it will happen if i remain in applied maths.

Appreciate any advice !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I think you'll need to go into the College of Science faculty office and discuss what your options are with them. They're down the yellow doors of the concourse (Bank of Ireland side). Just go in and ask for one of the assistants (list here)

You may not get to change given how late it is in the year, but sure talk to the faculty office anyway and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

I'll try talking to them so .Btw do you know if applied maths would be much harder than pass maths ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The pass math course comprises of an algebra course and a calculus course.

Speaking form my experience of last years course:
    The algebra course is relatively easy: generally students would have more difficultly with the calculus module, partly due to the material, but IMO due to the poor teaching which I felt was ridiculously bad.

I'd rate Applied maths another notch above pass maths in difficult.
    Two or three students in my class failed the applied maths course, and have now to repeat 1st year.

I'd be very surprised if you can change courses at this stage.

The good news is that lectures finish on the 31st of March, so basically all that is required from you is to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in for 10 short weeks : you have already managed to get yourself into NUIG, you can definitely achieve a pass, besides I reckon you have no other choice!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Difficulty rating: app maths > pass maths
    That's what i've heard off people anyway who've done both applied maths and pass maths in first year.

If you are having trouble with the applied maths, go to the lecturer's office (if it's who i had in first year, then he's really approachable and helpful) and get him to go through the difficult bits with ya. Alternatively drop into SUMS (bottom floor of Aras de Brun, 2-5pm, Mon-Thurs) and the tutors there will be able to help ya with any problems.

If you do the assignments and MCQs half-decent, that'll bring your mark up a bit. I can't remember if you needed to pass the exam itself or just pass the module as a whole. Ask the lecturer if you're feeling worried about it.

I don't remember having a christmas exam in applied maths in first year though. Thought it was all exams at the end of semester 2. Has it changed this year?

Advertisement