Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region 1 DVDs on Xbox

Options
  • 08-01-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone know if it's possible to watch region one DVDs on Xbox bought a DVD online and now have nothing to watch it on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

After a bit of searching, looks like only an Xbox bought in that region would play R1 DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Marc Carlo

chin_grin wrote: »
    After a bit of searching, looks like only an Xbox bought in that region would play R1 DVD's.

I thought by resetting the region to USA it might work but no cant see what the difference is myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Nope hes right it will only work if its bought in a Region 1 area, though buy a region free dvd player, theyre pretty cheap these days

Marc Carlo wrote: »
    I thought by resetting the region to USA it might work but no cant see what the difference is myself

Has nothing to do with the software. It's the hardware of the actual drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Actually it is a software thing, normally in the firmware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Incorrect, it's software based. It's changeable when building a jtag/rgh image.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Marc Carlo

EnterNow wrote: »

So could I watch the DVD on it with changing a few settings

Marc Carlo wrote: »
    So could I watch the DVD on it with changing a few settings

You would have to completely modify the console, thus losing any potential XBL useage.

It's hardly worth it for a dvd alone, as mentioned above, pick up a cheap multi-region player.

Meesared wrote: »
    Actually it is a software thing, normally in the firmware
    EnterNow wrote: »

Ah, right. I don't know where I got that idea from! I remember being able to pick up multi-region drives for the pc so I should've put two and two together. (Brainfart on my part).

It'd void the warranty but I wonder could you pick up one of these drives for the xbox?

Ah, right. I don't know where I got that idea from! I remember being able to pick up multi-region drives for the pc so I should've put two and two together. (Brainfart on my part).

It'd void the warranty but I wonder could you pick up one of these drives for the xbox?

It's not determined by the drive firmware, but the information in the nand. I know while building a jtag image recently, I had the option of setting it to any region by editing a switch in an ini file. Setting it to 0 nullifies any regional lockouts. It's Jtag/RGH only though

• Advertisement
Advertisement