Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slatted shed question

• 08-01-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Considering building a new slatted tank in front of existing shed. How close to the existing pillars would i be able to dig for the tank as i would like to go to 8 feet deep and keep as close to the shed as possible.Also would 7x3 h iron be strong enough for a roof truss in a lean to shed . The beam would be 25 feet long but would meet a upright at 16 feet and the rest would be for a over hang

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

massey6480 wrote: »
    Considering building a new slatted tank in front of existing shed. How close to the existing pillars would i be able to dig for the tank as i would like to go to 8 feet deep and keep as close to the shed as possible.Also would 7x3 h iron be strong enough for a roof truss in a lean to shed . The beam would be 25 feet long but would meet a upright at 16 feet and the rest would be for a over hang

My opinion would be that 7"x3" rsj aint beefy enough.
    In relation to digging a tank beside an exixting shed: We dug a tank very tight to an existing leanto, but the ground is very very good.

See pic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP whats the ground like? Go for 8x4 inch pillars, and stay out at least 8 ft from old shed. Just my 2 centsworth.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 massey6480

Bizzum wrote: »
    In relation to digging a tank beside an exixting shed: We dug a tank very tight to an existing leanto, but the ground is very very good.

See pic.
    Thanks for the reply Bizzum that looks to like it would leave you with about 4 feet between slats and shed thats what i would be hoping for Did ye prop the pillars with any thing

Thanks for the reply Bizzum that looks to like it would leave you with about 4 feet between slats and shed thats what i would be hoping for Did ye prop the pillars with any thing

Couple more pic's from roughly the same angle, after a bit of work.

I remember talking about putting in an acro or the like before we dug it but we felt when we dug it would go nowhere. The two end walls would take a lot of the weight I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Couple more pic's from roughly the same angle, after a bit of work.

I remember talking about putting in an acro or the like before we dug it but we felt when we dug it would go nowhere. The two end walls would take a lot of the weight I suppose.

what size slat is that Bizz, 11"6?
    looks like a nice job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

if the ground is relatively good you could go v tight to the pillar if they are propped. Dry weather would be a huge advantage in this case. Would definately use 8x4 or heavier as the beams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tie in the outside girders of the existing shed to the furthest away ones temporaily using the trusses or uprights you intend to use for the new shed.

Then add a bit of diagonal bracing (both ways in an X). You can't beat a bit of triangulation to keep things from moving ;)

I seen a neighbour dig out a tank to convert an existing loose shed into a slatted shed using above method. Loads of lads have done it without bother. But you can't skip on the bracing. There's strength when everything it tied in together. A single girder out in no man's land has the potential to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

A lot of contractors won't touch the job if there's any risk of the excavation collapsing as they could face massive fines and jail if an accident occured, or hefty fines if their site was inspected.

Legally they have to support the sides of the excavation if it is over 4ft or else batter it back at a slope of 1 is to 1.

A good few will have first hand experence of these incidents and some will have the scars to prove it, i know a fella who was pinned between a collapsed excavation and a shuttering pan, ended up with broken ribs and collar bone.

What often happens with these collapses is that the soil cracks about 3 ft from the edge and a whole block falls in suddenly.... 3ft x 3ft x 3ft block of soil weighs approx 2 tonne.

Just be careful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I've seen this done. By a contractor who was willing to do it. but it was a close call and the adjacent sheds were close to collapse even with bracing.

The problem was that over the years slurry and traffic had softened the ground where the shed was going and it was very dodgy for the lads concreting the tank.

Be very careful, ultimatley if the HSA come knocking you are going to be in serious bother if if goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

When I was doing my tank a few years back, we needed to excavate right up against an existing cubicle house. We put a narrow bucket on the digger and dug directly below the poles of the existing shed (as far as we could go with the digger) before we dug the actual hole for the tank. These holes were immediately filled with 35N concrete and left to set for a week or so. We used 7 metres to underpin 4 points on the building. When we excavated the tank, we exposed parts of the concrete supports, which looked as if they had always been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Bizzum i don't measn to offend you (i've enjoyed and respected numerous posts of yours) but you'd be jailed if the HSA inspected during the construction of that tank.
    What chance would the person bolting the shuttering have if even a minor slippage of the side of the excavation occured, even worse when they're striking it after vibrating the concrete etc. etc.
    As i say i don't mean it to be personal or offensive but with the level of death on Irish farms i think we all bear a degree of responsibility, i knopw i've taken stupid chances down through the years.

See pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

locky76 wrote: »
    Bizzum i don't measn to offend you (i've enjoyed and respected numerous posts of yours) but you'd be jailed if the HSA inspected during the construction of that tank.
    What chance would the person bolting the shuttering have if even a minor slippage of the side of the excavation occured, even worse when they're striking it after vibrating the concrete etc. etc.
    As i say i don't mean it to be personal or offensive but with the level of death on Irish farms i think we all bear a degree of responsibility, i knopw i've taken stupid chances down through the years.

isn't that up to the contractor to do - if you hire guys to build a tank then surely it is their responsibility to do so in a safe fashion??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I dug a 4 foot hole in very dry land recently by hand. It fell in on one side.
    It does happen regularly, better be safe than sorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

we dug tank close to existing pillars by first welding irons to the stanchions and fixing them to the concrete floor. then we dug out the tank and was able to completely undermind the stanchions. when the tank was poured we extended and fixed the stanchions to the tank floor.This resulted in a distance of 2' between edge of slat and stanchion on completion. Soil type and water table has also to be taken into account.
    Re 7x3 rafter. check out dept spec for farm buildings S.101.
    Note also that all farm buildings has to be done to grant standard regardless of getting grant. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i ed try and dig the tank and pour it in good weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

we put a tank lenghtways across the front of a cubicle house. it finished 2' 6" from the front. dug down into channel and springs. had no issue with subsidence but all it takes is one slip.

what size slat is that Bizz, 11"6?
    looks like a nice job

Yeah, 11"6', your on the ball!
    locky76 wrote: »

No offence taken.
    If we were one bit worried about the job being unsafe, perhaps I'd be offended. At no time was we worried. I think the concrete floor in the existing leanto helped stabilise the shed and as I stated from the outset the ground is very good. We would have a lot of experience in the area too. That tank was dug out in Aug 08, when that serious rain fell and still not a bit of slippage.
    There was mininal work (if any) done between the shuttering and the excavation face as the shuttering was dropped down in sections and the tank poured in 2 halves.
    We would take safety very serious and would not be behind the door reminding anyone doing work for us of our approach to safety.

I would urge anyone taking on a job like this to spare nothing trying to be safe, and take no shortcuts.

Advertisement